This is the first GW2 expansion I haven't purchased, and I'm sad about it.

Unlike every previous expansion, and even most Living World seasons, it just doesn't seem to add anything. 

No new traits, no new elite specs. No new classes or races. No new crafting or gathering professions. A whopping one new weapon... next year.

No new mounts. No new fundamental capabilities like gliding, or even fishing or skiffs.

No new stats. Not even any new combinations of existing stats. No new boons or conditions.

No new equipment. At best there are relics, but that just moved things from runes into a different slot, rather than actually adding anything.

No updates to visual customization. Still the same few faces/bodies/hairstyles that we've had for ages. Still no way to adjust things like makeup separately from face. Still no way to mix and match parts of "outfits" with "armor skins." Still no way to dye weapons. Not even so much as a preview window that shows your entire character.

Nothing new or changed for PvP or WvW.

I gather that for people who are super into the lore/story, it might be interesting. But in terms of game systems, there seems to be a complete lack of anything new. 

• Like 23
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 15

44 minutes ago, Leyris.3507 said:

Unlike every previous expansion, and even most Living World seasons, it just doesn't seem to add anything. 

49 minutes ago, Leyris.3507 said:

in terms of game systems, there seems to be a complete lack of anything new. 

With the new relic system implemented at the same time as the expansion, those who didn't purchase the expansion actually lost content 🤣

• Like 6
  • Haha 5
  • Confused 6
  • Sad 2

3 hours ago, Leyris.3507 said:

No new traits, no new elite specs. No new classes or races. No new crafting or gathering professions. A whopping one new weapon... next year.

No new mounts. No new fundamental capabilities like gliding, or even fishing or skiffs.

No new stats. Not even any new combinations of existing stats. No new boons or conditions.

No new equipment. At best there are relics, but that just moved things from runes into a different slot, rather than actually adding anything.

No updates to visual customization. Still the same few faces/bodies/hairstyles that we've had for ages. Still no way to adjust things like makeup separately from face. Still no way to mix and match parts of "outfits" with "armor skins." Still no way to dye weapons. Not even so much as a preview window that shows your entire character.

I don't mind all these 

3 hours ago, Leyris.3507 said:

I gather that for people who are super into the lore/story, it might be interesting. But in terms of game systems, there seems to be a complete lack of anything new. 

I do think the story are HALF BAKED 

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, Astralporing.1957 said:

Looking at relic list, those that purchased the expansion lost as well.

Well yeah everyone loses when it comes to relics. But technically, those who paid for the expansion did receive content (i.e. New maps). To those who didn't purchase however, it was a a loss with no gains.

Also, I find it funny that so many of us have the 😕 face emoji. Glad someone likes the relics.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

7 hours ago, Leyris.3507 said:

I think it's disingenuous to pad your list out with duplicates and things that have never been in expansions. We've never had a new race or 'gathering professions' (that's not even a thing in this game, everyone can always gather all materials). We've only gotten new traits as part of elite specs, so that's listing the same thing twice. I don't think we've ever had new boons or conditions as part of an expansion (and very few overall) and we've never had new equipment added, except relics. Other than elite specs PvP and WvW updates also aren't part of expansions since they're always base game updates. We've also only had 1 new class (revenant) and 1 new crafting profession (scribe) across 3 previous expansions.

I get being disappointed by SotO but going by that list you were always setting yourself up for disappointment by expecting more than we've gotten from previous expansions and things Anet have never shown any inclination to add (like new equipment or playable races).

Edited by Danikat.8537
  • Like 11
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

22 minutes ago, Danikat.8537 said:

I think it's disingenuous to pad your list out with duplicates and things that have never been in expansions. We've never had a new race or 'gathering professions' (that's not even a thing in this game, everyone can always gather all materials). We've only gotten new traits as part of elite specs, so that's listing the same thing twice. I don't think we've ever had new boons or conditions as part of an expansion (and very few overall) and we've never had new equipment added, except relics. Other than elite specs PvP and WvW updates also aren't part of expansions since they're always base game updates. We've also only had 1 new class (revenant) and 1 new crafting profession (scribe) across 3 previous expansions.

I get being disappointed by SotO but going by that list you were always setting yourself up for disappointment by expecting more than we've gotten from previous expansions and things Anet have never shown any inclination to add (like new equipment or playable races).

And what's your point here, maybe get used to such low standards?

• Like 4
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 7

1 hour ago, Danikat.8537 said:

I don't think we've ever had new boons or conditions as part of an expansion

Alacrity arrived with HoT with chronomancer (and was chronomancer exclusive for a fair bit) I am not sure if superspeed was also not added with scrapper in same expac.

44 minutes ago, Sifolstour.3210 said:

And what's your point here, maybe get used to such low standards?

His point there, is that if the list of the OP is "proper standards" then no expac in GW2 history have met them, and therefore he should be equally disappointed with everything since HoT.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2

11 hours ago, Leyris.3507 said:

Yeah I feel you brother, I have all the other expansions, but this one I am going to put my wallet down and avoid. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 4
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, Danikat.8537 said:

Alac came with hot did it not?

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Leyris.3507 said:

This is very true.  We bought promises, which most of us assume Anet will deliver on (in their own fashion).  You will need to come back and revisit your post next year to get the full picture.

Edited by illuminati.8453
  • Like 3
  • Confused 3

40 minutes ago, vrauns.3215 said:

not really, tell me what living world had 10 chapters and more chapters are coming in soto and 2 other updates.

Most living world? It's not a living world episode, but it is comparable to a living world season. Each act is about the length of an episode. The maps are somewhat larger and more detailed than LS maps, but altogether it's maybe 3 LS episodes worth of content. It feels like a little less than it is because where you would normally fill up your green bar in between story instances by exploring the map and running DEs, here you usually just do the copy-paste Rift DEs, so mastery points (and novelty) are the main reason to bother with normal DEs.

• Like 4
  • Confused 2

20 hours ago, Leyris.3507 said:

In all fairness, just adding features/content doesn't mean they will be good.

Silent Surf pretty clearly demonstrates both a strike mission and a likely jade tech mastery that would have made EoD feel a lot more well-rounded, but were instead arved up and repurposed as a fractal (and which a lot of people are disappointed in as a fractal).

And I think by far the biggest example of this point are the EoD especs. Yes, we *got* especs, but they are just the laziest rehashing of prior espec designs/animations, with absolutely no new mechanics like HoT/PoF introduced to give them their own niches. Just asking for especs doesn't mean the delivery will be good, and in the case of EoD the especs actually pulled down the entire espec system with them.

SotO really isn't that different from EoD in several respects. Yes, the story/characters are stronger, and yes some of these paradigmatic overhauls may turn out to be for the better (IF ANet can stay the course for more than a year or two and continuing refining and building on them). But the content is just as shallow and lacking "new development" as EoD was.

It's quite sad, but after mourning the game through EoD I'm done pitying ANet. Past some point it's no longer "issues" or "obstacles", it's the leadership running the thing and a lack of invested authorship.

• Like 3
  • Confused 3

I don't want to waste too much more of your time

22 hours ago, Leyris.3507 said:

It did add the ability to use new weapon/specialization combinations which is a new system. 
It did change the dailies with the new wizard vault, and offers much better rewards for the time you spend playing. It is a new system.
It did add new mechanics to the skyscale and griffon, which can be used on maps outside of the expansion.
It did add relics - which is more than a simple separation of the last slot in a rune set. They have changed the traits that go with the matching runes. They've also added entirely new ones , tied exclusively to the story. 
It did add 3 new maps, two of which have a really engaging metas - if the allure of the jaw dropping beauty of the maps don't interest you alone. 
It did add a new strike. 
It did add a new story and introduce new characters. 

I was one of those that pre-ordered but I honestly had low expectations. 
I was pleasantly surprised. It really feels heftier than what they told us to expect. 
I think you should give it a shot OP! 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

17 hours ago, Wild.1705 said:

Well yeah everyone loses when it comes to relics. But technically, those who paid for the expansion did receive content (i.e. New maps). To those who didn't purchase however, it was a a loss with no gains.

Also, I find it funny that so many of us have the 😕 face emoji. Glad someone likes the relics.

I'm going to put on my tin-foil hat for a moment and say that the downvotes come from devs who worked on SotO and anonymously browse the forums.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 5

I've purchased, I've played it, I'm sad about it and worse, I feel cheated.

They should have been more transparent when they announced SoTO, not calling it an expansion when it's actually made and released like a Living Season. All they had to say was: "Hey guys, the free LWS model is over, from now on you will have to pay to play the new episodes", and that would have been enough. People wouldn't have expectations of a better kind of content because that's what people expect from expansions and not LWS. By calling SoTO an expansion and pricing it as one, people had big expectations that it would be worth their money.

What Anet did was to call SoTO an expansion, price it as expansion, but create new content and release it just like any existing LWS.

• Thanks 9
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

On 9/1/2023 at 11:04 AM, Leyris.3507 said:

I was very critical first too, but trust me SOTO is really worth it u should buy it.

new maps are beautiful

interesting  lore more adult

beautiful skins

a almost free legendary weapon thru the Vault

im sad too about my runes got robed and no elites 

but it is really really nice story 

how weird it feels the Commander got older more character progression. Its a small.thing they changed but it makes me feel my Char is starting to find her own way. 

maybe don't treat it like a game but lile a fun evening which cost 25 Euro/dollar

Edited by Balsa.3951
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1