SAG-AFTRA Strik

SAG-AFTRA is striking a number of game companies, list is here: https://www.sagaftra.org/sag-aftra-national-board-votes-unanimously-send-interactive-media-video-game-strike-authorization

It makes me realize that I don't know if Anet and NCSOFT do their voice work in-house or if they're contracted through a third party.  Just trying to see if GW2 is going to be impacted by the strike.

And yes, I'm aware that the article simply states that SAG-AFTRA has authorized a vote on a strike, but word now is that the vote has passed and the strike is underway.

I remember hearing before that Anet only work with union voice actors. It came up a while ago, possibly around the time EoD came out, because apparently one of the conditions is each person can only voice a maximum of 3 characters (presumably to stop companies hiring one or two people who can do lots of different voices and having them do everything) and that's why some minor characters aren't voiced - they'd have to hire another actor and couldn't justify the cost for the tiny amount of dialogue those characters got.

The fact that they were already working exclusively with union actors makes me think either they might be unaffected by the stike or they might be able to negotiate a deal. I've heard some small movie studios were able to go ahead with filming during the strike because they agreed to meet the unions demands.

Whatever happens I doubt we'll find out until the next release comes out. Unless Anet or the union chooses to put out a statement.

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, Danikat.8537 said:

I remember hearing before that Anet only work with union voice actors. It came up a while ago, possibly around the time EoD came out, because apparently one of the conditions is each person can only voice a maximum of 3 characters (presumably to stop companies hiring one or two people who can do lots of different voices and having them do everything) and that's why some minor characters aren't voiced - they'd have to hire another actor and couldn't justify the cost for the tiny amount of dialogue those characters got.

The fact that they were already working exclusively with union actors makes me think either they might be unaffected by the stike or they might be able to negotiate a deal. I've heard some small movie studios were able to go ahead with filming during the strike because they agreed to meet the unions demands.

Whatever happens I doubt we'll find out until the next release comes out. Unless Anet or the union chooses to put out a statement.

Voicing only 3 characters does not seem to be the case:  https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Voice_actor

On 9/3/2023 at 7:22 PM, Randulf.7614 said:

If affected, I’d rather they delayed associated content. Focus on other game modes maybe

I would prefer they just go ahead and release the content that I have already paid for on time.  The fact that I play with NPC sound turned off means it makes not difference to me.

• Confused 2

4 hours ago, Erich.1783 said:

I would prefer they just go ahead and release the content that I have already paid for on time.  The fact that I play with NPC sound turned off means it makes not difference to me.

I would not affect current expansion I would think as that is likely recorded. I’m more thinking expansion 5 next year which we haven’t paid for

• Like 1