Map exploration reset

On 9/4/2023 at 4:07 AM, costepj.5120 said:

Not practical because of hero points.

And the lanterns achievements are very different to map exploration.

Yet, we can easily have it with hero points would be omitted for reset anyway...

Why have to make new characters, speed run through it all for 4 hours just to complete a map. Seems like waste of time within waste of time (video games in general) its definitely not something I personally enjoy having to do just to create a legendary... "look at me, I got pixels for spending hours at a time redoing what I did before" maybe I don't get the design concept

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2

They could add it to the pre-EoD expansion maps (HoT, PoF) - though there the gifts are a bit different already (in PoF I think you have to buy it from a vendor ant it is once per char, after map completion).

For other maps not needed. For core maps you can buy the finished legendary from the TP directly anways and I think there still should be some reason to level another char.

Honestly I would like to see something simmilar to the lanterns somehow added to Core/HoT/PoF. 

Mainly because a lot of people don't play on multiple characters more than just instanced content, and getting map completion on multiple just seems excessive, instead the lanterns are a good alternative, they both force you to go all around the map and they can be done on 1 character as many times as you want. 

Personally that's how I crafter 2 Gen 3 legendaries, I would have bought the second one otherwise. 

5 hours ago, Lithril Ashwalker.6230 said:

Why have to make new characters, speed run through it all for 4 hours just to complete a map. Seems like waste of time within waste of time (video games in general) its definitely not something I personally enjoy having to do just to create a legendary... "look at me, I got pixels for spending hours at a time redoing what I did before" maybe I don't get the design concept

And yet your whole idea doesn't remove anything about repeating what you've already done before.

5 hours ago, Lithril Ashwalker.6230 said:

Yet, we can easily have it with hero points would be omitted for reset anyway...

The design concept is to keep people playing. Doing map completion on a new character is the easier option, since they don't have to add systems to reset, a system to leave out Hero Points, etc. They just need the world they already built.

I don't think it's the design concept you don't get. I think it's the nature of MMO's in general that eludes you, judging from the second part of your post. You're either playing devil's advocate or you don't really understand that MMO's need repeatable content to stay afloat. I'd expect the pixel remark to come from someone who doesn't understand gaming. Sure, it's objectively true but I don't know any gamers who look at their games this way. It would make everything feel pointless and redundant. It sounds like someone who wants a reward but doesn't want to put in the work to get that reward.

Personally it also makes me wonder why someone would stick to one character when there are 9 classes and so many build options out there to play. But that's just me. I have duplicates (even triplicates) of 8 out of 9 classes, so the one class/main character thing never appealed to me in the first place.

• Like 5

10 minutes ago, TheNecrosanct.4028 said:

The design concept is to keep people playing. Doing map completion on a new character is the easier option, since they don't have to add systems to reset, a system to leave out Hero Points, etc. They just need the world they already built.

I don't think it's the design concept you don't get. I think it's the nature of MMO's in general that eludes you, judging from the second part of your post. You're either playing devil's advocate or you don't really understand that MMO's need repeatable content to stay afloat. I'd expect the pixel remark to come from someone who doesn't understand gaming. Sure, it's objectively true but I don't know any gamers who look at their games this way. It would make everything feel pointless and redundant. It sounds like someone who wants a reward but doesn't want to put in the work to get that reward.

Personally it also makes me wonder why someone would stick to one character when there are 9 classes and so many build options out there to play. But that's just me. I have duplicates (even triplicates) of 8 out of 9 classes, so the one class/main character thing never appealed to me in the first place.

I only enjoy playing 1 class, the rest don't satisfy me at all and I've been here from the 3 day headscarf. They aren't fun to me and no builds appeal to me, nor their playstyles. Doesn't mean I don't have other classes on my account. I even have 1 other spare slot for whatever reason and STARTED doing map comp again but it gets bland for me and I give up on it. I suppose instead of just rushing into doing the entire portion of Central Tyria I could do a map a day and get it done that way without boring myself to death. *shrug* 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lithril Ashwalker.6230 said:

I only enjoy playing 1 class, the rest don't satisfy me at all and I've been here from the 3 day headscarf. They aren't fun to me and no builds appeal to me, nor their playstyles. Doesn't mean I don't have other classes on my account. I even have 1 other spare slot for whatever reason and STARTED doing map comp again but it gets bland for me and I give up on it. I suppose instead of just rushing into doing the entire portion of Central Tyria I could do a map a day and get it done that way without boring myself to death. *shrug* 

That's how I've always done it. Legendaries are time consuming. While you're completing the map one day at a time you can also work on other directives to create a legendary. The urge to rush it also puts unnecessary pressure on yourself without reward, because you get nothing additional for completing a legendary sooner. A game is not supposed to be boring or feel like a chore. Once you find yourself in that place it's probably time to find something else to do in game or, more likely, move on from the game entirely.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, TheNecrosanct.4028 said:

Doing map completion on a new character is the easier option, since they don't have to add systems to reset, a system to leave out Hero Points, etc.

Look closer. In case you need it, you can unlock Hero Points without needing to do them. But 70% are soloable and for 25% you can easy find a group.

• Confused 1

4 hours ago, BadHealer.3608 said:

Look closer. In case you need it, you can unlock Hero Points without needing to do them. But 70% are soloable and for 25% you can easy find a group.

Not the point. The point is that resetting the Hero Points in maps would mean being able to get their value twice. Or they would have to create a separate reset system for Hero Points, whereby they reset the map completion aspect but not the reward aspect. For vistas, points of interest and heart quests this doesn't matter so they would just be reset. Period. In other words, the ease I was talking about referred to the work ANet would have to put into such a system, not the in-game difficulty (or ease) of Hero Points for the players.

Another reason for ANet to not implement map completion reset: those people who want to make many legendaries need to create new characters to get their Gifts of Exploration and would, at some point, need to buy new character slots to do that.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

Need to buy new character slots, or delete an existing character and make a new one.  This loses birthday gift progression, but at some point, there is diminishing returns on that (you've already gotten all the account bound stuff, and they also changed it so that the big gift for birthdays is based on oldest character in the account - the 9th, 10th, 11th (and maybe earlier) characters gifts are not really much, it is the account gift that has good stuff.  So you just need to make sure you just keep your oldest character.

• Confused 2

Already suggested a better alternative,
Meanwhile, when you level up a toon, you get to have another level 80 toons, having more toons is beneficial to you you get more bank slaves lol (I know you don't agree) 
My suggestion was to use the Unspent Hero Point to unlock waypoints on other toons. (I might have forgotten to say other toons)

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

This would really only work if HPs in core Tyria worked like the repeatable ones in Hot or PoF; you don't get the points twice, just another reward for repeating it.

Not sure if they'll spend the time to change it, but to repeat map completion on a character, you'd have to include HPs, those are just over 10% of the explorable map.

My guess is they'd want you to buy a character slot or reroll a toon before making that big of a change to the whole game.