Starting full legendary equipment grind - where to start?

Hey everyone. after 11 years of playing gw2 i think i'm going to finally start working my way towards getting a full set of legendary gear, incluing sigils, runes etc.

The legendary guides out there are all very daunting and it's a little difficult to comprehend where to start. Assuming i have two precursors (chosen and in a couple of days i'm going to get the legendary weapon box from the wizard's vault for bolt) and have little experience with raids and wvw (and no desire to pvp) with also no mystic coins and little gold to boot, is there a guide out there that lays out a good method of acquiring everything legendary from start to finish? and not a guide for each separate legendary equipment but a more holistic guide to getting everything legendary from almost scratch?

• Confused 2

Legendaries for the most  part consist of materials that make up their value. If you're looking at making a legendary, you're mainly looking at gathering or buying the needed materials. Either looking up the materials themselves, or if they're tradeable, you can farm gold and buy them that way from the trading post - whichever is more efficient or more fun to you.

Personally I use https://gw2efficiency.com/crafting/calculator when working on a legendary to see how much I'm missing towards making it. Like you can enter 'Bolt' there and it lists you everything required to make it, then you can go down the list of materials and use the wiki (had direct links) to see how to aquire them. The legendary starter kit already gives you large parts of what's needed, but you can still see what else is required. In the end, actually making the legendary is just taking the 4 components (that consist of many many materials combined into these pieces) and putting them into the mystic forge to receive the legendary. The parts that may have a collection/journey tied to them where a guide may come in handy are the precursors (exotic that is 1 of the 4 parts), though it's also possible (for most legendaries) to just straight up buy them from the trading post if it's too bothersome.

If you want my advice, don't try to plan right away for doing 'all' legendaries. Decide on one to start with. Look at what it requires. Then start doing that piece by piece, gathering the materials and looking into how to aquire them. It's a big investment in time and material value. The only 'free' legendary you can get is the Amulet from the achievement 'Seasons of the Dragon' - which requires you to have all living story seasons unlocked (season 2, 3, 4, and icebrood saga) and going down the list of achievements for all the 'Return to' achievements. It's a bit of a time investment, but costs you nothing in material value (unless you have yet to unlock the living world seasons).

• Haha 1

You are vastly underestimating the time and costs it takes to do just ONE legendary. You cannot just suddenly decide to "get everything legendary". SO... you should decide WHAT you want to get first - a weapon? WZ vault speeds you closer to one... ARMOR? ACCESSORY? Hold on RUNES. So... there is a trinket/amulet you can get via story as said above - Season of The Dragon; well, open world meta events. It's cheapest but takes time, but all legendaries take time except for some you can sorta buy to get ahead. There's PvP exclusive, WvW and PvE accessories, back and armor. If you don't PvP/WvW (well you may need to do some WvW for Gift of Battle), no raids, then armor is difficult. Sorta have to do one of those for armor... but https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Legendary_trinket various ones various ways. WEAPONS is you have precursors I'd just focus on that, esp with wizard vault starter kit. There's guides from jen, even metabattle and wiki it up.

BUT - with minimal gold, no mystic coins, likely no clovers? You're gonna hit the roadblock there... sadly. Go just to youtube and search gw2 legendary "name" and many good guides there.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

6 hours ago, Keymaster.7362 said:

You should start with the legendary amulet from completing all 'return to' achievments in the side storys. And you can buy the legendary weapon starter kit from die wizards vault.

This was my entry point to legendaries.

I would recommend looking at getting conflux next as this isn't too difficult either. 

first of all, the backpieces are the easiest place to start. you can get them from fractals, wvw, or pvp.

after that, you'll want to start on the other trinkets. you can easily get the amulet from the "return to" achevements as this requires only playtime, while aurora and vision are much more complicated and expensive, and you should do them both together as they have some overlapping objectives. this will go a bit faster if you already have the skyscale unlocked from dragonfall, otherwise be prepared to do that too.

for rings you'll be able to chose either one ring from raids and one from wvw, or both rings from wvw (coalescence is unique, while conflux isn't). the raid ring costs as much to craft as an entire set of legendary armor so you may want to farm the wvw rings while also farming for your armor. of course, doing both at the same time is the fastest way, if you can get into a raid training guild and get a good static after that.

you'll want to do armor and runes after your trinkets. you'll need to do three sets of armor but they aren't very expensive, they do have some time gates depending on how you obtain them. the fastest way to do armor is from raids, the slowest and easiest way is from wvw.

the runes require provisioner's tokens, and there's no way around it like there is for other equipment. for this reason, you should start buying them every day starting immediately as it will take months to get enough. here's a waypoint list of vendors (faction provisioner) offering really cheap, once-a-day trades for items like mystic forge stones or obsidian shards that players normally have in excess:

[&BP4EAAA=][&BAwEAAA=][&BKgDAAA=][&BN4HAAA=][&BNYHAAA=][&BMwHAAA=]

(you can also make a lump of mithrillium once a day on a jeweler to make this go a bit faster, but do beware they're also required for the xunlai electrum ingots used by the legendary trinkets, so don't start spending them immediately.)

i strongly advice against going for weapons or sigils as they can't be hotswapped into your inventory. save these for last for this reason, though the weapon from the wizard's vault wouldn't be too expensive to finish since half the cost is covered already.

know how to get the materials you need - legendaries mostly require clovers and t5/t6 trophies. there's many ways to get clovers with the cheapest being to just get them from the wvw reward tracks (this is the slow, reliable way), while the most expensive is to just buy them outright from lyhr in the wizard's tower. i recommend spreading your clover farming between every game mode available - wvw, pvp, fractals, strikes, and so on.

if you farm clovers from reward tracks, remember to take the bonus reward progress from the skirmish chests.

you can easily get t5 and t6 trophies by farming unbound and volatile magic, including consuming all the items that give them like winterberries. just beware that you should have aurora or vision done first as they also require these currencies. its usually better to promote t5 to t6 yourself using spirit shards rather than buying t6 from the trading post, due to the profit margins involved.

you'll want to make heavy use of sites like gw2efficiency and fastfarming so you avoid wasting time and gold, for example the fact that you should only spend unbound magic at ember bay and not any of the other maps.

realistically, even if you go into full farming mode, you should expect at least half a year to gear a single armor class up in full legendary gear.

Edited by SoftFootpaws.9134
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, SoftFootpaws.9134 said:

for rings you'll be able to chose either one ring from raids and one from wvw, or both rings from wvw (coalescence is unique, while conflux isn't). the raid ring costs as much to craft as an entire set of legendary armor so you may want to farm the wvw rings

Thanx. I have all the PvP legendaries, the WvW ring, ten weapons and currently doing Aurora and Vision and was asking to myself if after that I should get a second Conflux or grind raids to get the whole set PvE trinket visuals, but after hearing that I think I'll just spent my stacks of WvW tokens, pay the gold and ditch Coalescence.

No wonder why people don't play raids: one of the least profitable activities in the game which as main carrot has korean level grinds for the ring and armors with lesser visuals than the gemstone suits...

• Confused 1

13 hours ago, Buran.3796 said:

Thanx. I have all the PvP legendaries, the WvW ring, ten weapons and currently doing Aurora and Vision and was asking to myself if after that I should get a second Conflux or grind raids to get the whole set PvE trinket visuals, but after hearing that I think I'll just spent my stacks of WvW tokens, pay the gold and ditch Coalescence.

No wonder why people don't play raids: one of the least profitable activities in the game which as main carrot has korean level grinds for the ring and armors with lesser visuals than the gemstone suits...

yeah, it probably wouldn't be so bad if it didn't require the150 legendary insights.. for a ring,

Edited by SoftFootpaws.9134
  • Like 2

On 9/4/2023 at 9:57 AM, castlemanic.3198 said:

Hey everyone. after 11 years of playing gw2 i think i'm going to finally start working my way towards getting a full set of legendary gear, incluing sigils, runes etc.

The legendary guides out there are all very daunting and it's a little difficult to comprehend where to start. Assuming i have two precursors (chosen and in a couple of days i'm going to get the legendary weapon box from the wizard's vault for bolt) and have little experience with raids and wvw (and no desire to pvp) with also no mystic coins and little gold to boot, is there a guide out there that lays out a good method of acquiring everything legendary from start to finish? and not a guide for each separate legendary equipment but a more holistic guide to getting everything legendary from almost scratch?

Precursors require completing collections.  However, once you have the precursor the rest is just a big material/gold sink along with some time-gates in the form of items which cannot be acquired via gold.  You'll want to pay particular attention to those time-gates because if you craft everything else you'll be stuck, possibly for a considerable amount of time, before you can complete your legendary item. 

These include provisioner tokens, which are a limited daily purchase.  You'll need 300 of these tokens to complete just one set of legendary armor, but they are also used in crafting legendary runes/sigils and I believe they will be required for the new PvE legendary armor and probably relics as well.  Another are legendary insights.  You get 1 of these per raid boss kill, but you need 150 to complete a set of raid legendary armor.  As far as I'm aware, you only need to worry about these for crafting raid armor sets, though.  Another is Gift of Battle, which can only be acquired by completing a WvW reward track and you need 1 for every legendary item you craft.  There are also the map completion gifts.  Which gift you'll need depends upon which part of the game the legendary item is associated with, but gen 1 legendary weapons require the core gift, which requires full map completion of all core Tyria maps.

The process itself is otherwise pretty straightforward.  Unlock the collection for the legendary you wish to acquire.  It should tell you what you need to do in the collections section of the achievements panel, but if for some reason it's hidden just wiki it.  Then complete the indicated steps for the collection.  After that you'll need a combination of vendor purchased items, crafted items, and mystic forge recipes.  You can find the full list of what you'll need on the wiki.  The gw2efficiency.com site is also helpful for getting a full list of materials.

• Thanks 1

On 9/4/2023 at 5:57 PM, castlemanic.3198 said:

Ok here the best advice I could tell you if you really really realllllyyyy want to do all legendary at once.

that’s what I decided to do one year ago and I achieved to get full legendary (backpack/trinkets/accessory/rings/weapons/armor…) in about 4 months of intense playing.

first thing first it’s gonna be kittening exhausting, when you will achieve your goal your gonna be so pissed off of the game that I had to take a break until Soto came out. But I was happy with my full legendary gear when I get back.

The most important thing you should do right now is acknowledged all time gated content,  pve/wvw/raids especially accessory/ring those things are time gated as kitten, you should make a list of all things that should be done every day and every week, you can’t bypass the time gate so if you don’t do it right now and focus on gathering other material your gonna be pissed off when you realise you have to wait several weeks to craft the legendary. So make a list of every legendary and every time gate achievement you should do and do this every day, it takes about 2 to 4  hours per day to get it done.

also the first legendary I recommend to start first is the legendary amulet, not only it is the only « free » legendary but during your journey to get it you will get a ton of gold and material for other legendary.

Exploit every content to get free mystic clover like dw reward track or one time wvw reward track but also fractale challenge or strikes you gonna need a lot of them.

For the armor I recommend doing the raid this is by far the cheapest and fastest method to get it, but it require you to git gud so I recommend to get into training session fast, use community like raid training initiave those are good people and they will teach every thing you want to know about raid.

i can’t stress this enough don’t forget about time gated content, the rest is just a piece of cake.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Icefyer.9208 said:

The sheer grind in getting a legendary is why I'm so glad they can be stat-swapped and such at will, and that you only ever need one for a given armor weight / weapon type. Pretty sure they changed it a while ago so if you dual-wield, like pistol/pistol you only have to craft one.

Nope, you still have to craft two.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Just now, Icefyer.9208 said:

Ah. kitten. Could have sworn you could double-slot it.

If only, I've doubled-up for dual wielding but the ones that have three or four weapons that are the same (because the sigils are different) make me cry. I just use the trick of main hand in one set of slots and off-hand in the other set of slots so you can weapon swap. And just suck up the missing 2 sigils.

4 minutes ago, Icefyer.9208 said:

Ah. kitten. Could have sworn you could double-slot it.

1 in each equipment template per character yes.

You have never been able to double-slot legendaries hence why twice told legend even exist.

2 minutes ago, Hesione.9412 said:

If only, I've doubled-up for dual wielding but the ones that have three or four weapons that are the same (because the sigils are different) make me cry. I just use the trick of main hand in one set of slots and off-hand in the other set of slots so you can weapon swap. And just suck up the missing 2 sigils.

Why not just have 2 ascended extra weapons if those sigils are important?

Edited by Linken.6345
  • Like 2