New expac question

Marleea.8536

Hi,

I think I have misunderstood what I needed to start this expac.  I finally got updrafts so figured ok now I can do this. in Soto but no I have to learn it again.

In the meantime I can hardly get anywhere on the map.  Which brings me to the question - what am I supposed to do there?  There doesn't seem to be many options for leveling up bar to obtain the masteries I need.

Please excuse my ignorance and if there are any suggestions on what to do to move forward on this map I would very much appreciate it.

Thank you 

• Confused 1

I wish when people ask question that they could provide better information as I started to think you where a completely new player and answered the best I could about unlocking in SoTO.

From what I can see you already own a Skyscale (possibly from PoF) or at least have unlocked it in SoTO.

The way Updraft work is that is was originally only when you where in Gliding mode that you could use Updraft and that is the same in SoTO maps. When you use Bond of Faith skill to jump of your Skyscale (or Griffon) or dismount while still being in air (use same skill as mount) to get into Gliding, then you can use Updraft (and Ley-Line if you have unlocked HoT Mastery for both).

With SoTO mastery you can now unlock the ability to also use Updraft and Ley-Lines to both get a reset of your Flight bar and Endurance bar if you stay or fly into an Updraft (which also work the same as when you where in Gliding mode; just now you can stay on your mount and get those boost). Ley-Lines are pathways that have a direction where you get the same effect for Flight and Endurance on your mount.

Don't forget those nodes or Orbs in air (in Dragonfall you had Volatile Magic Orbs (you also find them in core maps when you are at that stage in achievement; in Bloodstone Fen and other HoT related maps you have Unstable Magic Orbs). Those aren't depending on what stage you are in Mastery, so when you stat SoTO you can use them to reset your Flight Bar/Endurance bar and get short Quickness (boon) boost.

[EDIT: I have to correct myself as for VM Orbs and UM Orbs in air. Those you unlock from Mastery related to PoF and HoT which I already had done before SoTO came live. So you see it is hard to explain things without knowing how far you have unlocked other Mastery from content that now are intervened with SoTO.

If you Bloodstone Fen then you will see how different you can use your Skyscale and Griffon when you have unlocked Updraft and Ley-Line while you are on your mounts.

You rarely need to dismount while being on your mount and can purchase Gliding skills (in Bloodstone Fen you need to have Unstable Magic as part of currency or in SoTO you might need to have some kind of map currency [as I already had unlocked it from BF I can not see what that NPC would want to sell those skills]).

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Gliding#Secrets_of_the_Obscure

I would recommend to get those Gliding skills as those can be used when you are doing SoTO meta and still do damage on ground targets, heal ground targets and get short boost forward from Gliding skills (so you can save a Dash on your Skyscale).

On Griffon if you stay (as circle inside an Updraft) you will get higher up and don't need to use any trick like combo Dive and then use Climb to get higher up which you need a high speed from Dive (and enough space between you and ground). On Skyscale you can let Updraft carry up as far as Updraft reach and continue forward (or use it to reset your Flight and Endurance). The main difference here from those Orbs is that you will not get Quickness while doing this.Also those Orbs give you XP, so it is one way to farm Mastery faster as you can just use those Orbs or get enough XP to unlock next Mastery if you have collected enough Master Points.

I don't know if I have answered your question "what to do in SoTO maps", but it should give you an idea about how to use Updraft even if you haven't unlocked it for your Skyscale or Grioffon yet (as you can use it when you are Gliding - but you need to have unlocked Gliding either from HoT or from the new way to get it in EoD or you get it unlocked in SoTO as default).

It is impossible to cover everything in this game with so little background information about how far yourself are in this game without knowing if you own HoT, PoF or even EoD. With EoD we got Jade Bot which if you use Jade Bot can also give a boost for elevation in air if you use what was your heal skill while in Gliding mode.

The base in SoTO is to hunt down Rifts and here mounts are essential to get around fast to each Rift. There are two meta in SoTO so you will have to use Skyscale to get around on each floating Island during at least one meta and the main Wizard Tower meta is the same where you are supposed to use mounts during different phase to avoid getting killed while ground are getting swarmed by Kryptis and large AoEs.

As for other non-SoTO maps you will discover that the new Updraft and also Ley-Line will make it easier to get around without having to dismount and remount in air to reset your mounts HP and that you can now combine Gliding and mounts much easier then before.

Fireball can be aimed if you hold down your Fireball skill (no 2) as it will draw a line between where you aim (target and yourself). You have now become a master of Jedi of Tyria with your laster beam! 😁

Edited by ShadowCatz.8437
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

You do not have to relearn updrafts. It still works for gliders, but it never worked for mounts. You now learn it for the skyscale and griffon as a new mastery. If you did not have the skyscale, you will be getting it when you enter the map in order to navigate it.

As for events, there are plenty of xp gains. Most events are on a very short timer in both maps, so you will have most of your skyscale completed before finishing map 1. SoTo has some of the quickest mastery bar gains in the game.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Randulf.7614 said:

You do not have to relearn updrafts. It still works for gliders, but it never worked for mounts. You now learn it for the skyscale and griffon as a new mastery. If you did not have the skyscale, you will be getting it when you enter the map in order to navigate it.

As for events, there are plenty of xp gains. Most events are on a very short timer in both maps, so you will have most of your skyscale completed before finishing map 1. SoTo has some of the quickest mastery bar gains in the game.

You are correct about Updraft, but the issue here is we don't know if @Marleea.8536have unlocked Updraft Use from Mastery in Gliding Mastery Track. On GW2 wiki you will find also a skill when you use search on GW2 wiki that is called Updraft that isn't the same as Gliding skill/ability, so it can be confusing if this is a new player trying to figure out how things are supposed to work. I had to use Mastery overview to find that it is called Updraft Use as a part of Gliding Mastery.

Compared to other expansion, SoTO have a rather fast way to get enough Mastery Points from doing map completion, story and just doing events to get both XP and MP.

Sorry for not being clear  😞     I have updraft from HOT and I should have realized that I could still use my glider.    I will look for events and I apologize for the question.   I have all expacs so no not new just was confused. 

Thank you for the answers.  I'll get it done  🙂