No runestones = Why do arcane chests exist?

Obviously there are some elements from EoD clearly recognizable. EoD had a lot of small, soloable overworld content with its shrine guardian chests and minidungeons and the Kaineng JP. And they had a justification for existing and people farming them: Jade Runestones. An item rarely, or in a few exceptions, guaranteed to be found in the many chests hidden throughout Cantha. And you need 100-200 runestones to create EoD legendaries and their skins. 

SotO seems to be designed with the same idea, at least at a certain point in development. You have all kinds of chests in the open world, the new zones have shrine guardian chests hidden throughout and you even have special minor and major arcane chests that require doing a minigame and which are locked behind masteries. The arcane chests and shrine guardian chests even contain unusual coins just like their counterparts in EoD did. But there is no point to farming them or even grabbing them as you pass by, because there is no special item found in them that people will need for the upcoming legendaries. 

Why did you go through the trouble of designing those chests if you weren't going to put anything inside that makes them worth opening?

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

Indeed, sometimes I forget and my Pavlov conditioning compels me to open the Arcane Chests. But, (for the most part) I've stopped opening them. Very astute observation that these might be a hold-over mechanic from the previous ex-pac.

I did all the shrine guardians once for the Mastery points. I'll still do some of them as I pass by if they won't noticeably slow down my flow of play.

• Like 1