Please add something to "Tools" in PvE

SeTect.5918

Hello!

The concept of the specialization "Tools" always bothered me a bit. 

Its supposed to be the specialization for the class mechanic but it offers nothing really impactful in PvE.

I don't want to be like "other classes are far better than mine", but without saying that, i want to say that one aspect of some classes is far better than that of engis: its the class-mechanic specialization.

Arcane of ele offers self heal, lots of self boons (fury, protection, might, vigor, swiftness), some power dmg bonus and some condi dmg bonus.

Illusions of mesmer offers perma self quickness, perma self 25 might and perma self fury (if paired with dueling). It also offers good power dmg bonus and a bit condi dmg bonus.

And...Tools on engi offers minimal boons (5 sec quickness every..like 20-30 sec is the best you get there, no might or protection whatsoever), no self heal at all, a bit power dmg bonus and no condi dmg bonus at all. I dont see any reason ever using that in pve.

Sorry but its just a bad specialization to use in pve. No use as power dps, no use as condi, no use as support, no use as heal, no use as solo open world.

Probably a reduce of charges needed to trigger the quickness of "kinetic battery" would help immensely already. Or might on "optimized activation". Better conditions on "Streamlined kits"... and so on.

• Confused 1

The condi cleanse per skill was a really nice buff already. It largely functions as a selfish defensive traitline, while indirectly boosting dps. But I do think kinetic battery should just give quickness per skill instead of having it on the 5th, it's clunky. Takedown Round is also lacking identity. 

If you don't have boon duration, the whole vigor thing isn't super impactful. I've suggested reworking gadgeteer to make the extra effects baseline and instead make them apply alacrity, akin to having overcharged tools you can use often. But I doubt they would give that to a core traitline.

• Like 1

It’s not so much that tools is lacking for damage but more that Firearms and Explosions are just cracked traitlines.  There is a reason core power Engi is one of the best core builds, with hammer we’re looking at around 40k bench right now.  Gadgeteer Double mine is really good.

Tools could use some condi love though, it’s really only got Drop Gunk from mortar kit traited with streamlined kits which is a pain to actually use.  I’d love some synergy between Holo TRV and Tools which already leans into dodging.  And, with condi Explosions isn’t so crazy it can’t be overtaken.  If you were to make tools even close to Firearms/Explosions for power we might have core being the best power Engi build.

I also agree with the kinetic battery thing, pretty poor self quickness by todays standards.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dadnir.5038 said:

Did you consider that maybe tools traitline don't give that much to the main mechanism due to the sheer diversity offered by the toolbelt skills?

Yes but 90% of the toolbelt skills are just a straight up copy or a similar skill of the utility skill used. Like more grenades for gren kit, Big bomb for bomb kit. And none or almost none of the toolbelt skills gives any useful boons.

• Confused 1

35 minutes ago, Jerus.4350 said:

It’s not so much that tools is lacking for damage but more that Firearms and Explosions are just cracked traitlines.  There is a reason core power Engi is one of the best core builds, with hammer we’re looking at around 40k bench right now.  Gadgeteer Double mine is really good.

Tools could use some condi love though, it’s really only got Drop Gunk from mortar kit traited with streamlined kits which is a pain to actually use.  I’d love some synergy between Holo TRV and Tools which already leans into dodging.  And, with condi Explosions isn’t so crazy it can’t be overtaken.  If you were to make tools even close to Firearms/Explosions for power we might have core being the best power Engi build.

I also agree with the kinetic battery thing, pretty poor self quickness by todays standards.

Yea exactly what i m talking about. 

It offers power dmg bonuses but if we have 3 power core specs, one of them always ends up being unused because e specs are better than having 3 core specs normally. 

It would be a good allrounder spec for open world but for that it offers too low of everything to be used for that. It lacks boons and self heal to be used for that even tho the condi cleanses are a nice thing as @Matoro.9708 mentioned already. 

It has a few nice things but too few to be taken over other specs like alchemy or inventions for open world. 

The whole traitline feels outdated but i dont think they would ever rework that so the best thing to hope for are additional boons or effects. Or smaller ICDs or something like charges needed for kinetic battery.

Edited by SeTect.5918
Spelling

Honestly I don't think tools are bad, minus a couple of traits that could be reworked. 

I use Tools + Alchemy on my Holosmith build and I actually like a lot of the synergies they provide. 

Lesser Utility Goggles are quite nice, especially with higher boon duration, being able to provide 6 seconds of resistance on healing skill use.

The toolbelt skill CD reduction is decent, more so on higher CD skills since it's a percentage. 

The 10% extra damage isn't anything to scuff at, especially since it's easy to get 100% Vigor uptime, which ofcourse work well with Adrenaline Implants for perma double endurance regen.

Lock on is just a better detection pulse that also triggers on CC skills and works great with CC heavy builds. 

Takedown round should be the opposite of what it is since tools are all about having endurance. Kinnetic Battery should be reworked, streamlined kits as well, the cooldown is too long for such a small effect. 

Overall though it's a decent trait line. 

On 9/8/2023 at 1:33 PM, SeTect.5918 said:

Yes but 90% of the toolbelt skills are just a straight up copy or a similar skill of the utility skill used. Like more grenades for gren kit, Big bomb for bomb kit. And none or almost none of the toolbelt skills gives any useful boons.

Wait until you hear about Supply Crate xD

• Confused 1

I actually think Tools is pretty good.  I think the vigor granted on toolbelt skill use should be longer, and the traitline should boost condi damage in some way as well.  There are a few traits that are just garbage that need reworks or buffs but overall it’s a lot better than it used to be.  

I would say inventions needs more help than tools.  Buff turrets!

I get that some traits are good like the toolbelt 15% cooldown reduction, the damage boosts and vigor but it also has lots of traits which are straight up trash. 

Lesser utility goggles could get a boost of resi duration since resi no longer helps against damaging conditions.

Lock on has a far too high cooldown in pve for what it does. Revealed is basically completely useless in pve.

Streamlined kits needs a massive buff or rework. Could maybe work as a condi trait?

Kinetic battery needs far too many charges to activate the quickness. It should give quickness per toolbelt skill or every 2nd toolbelt skill...Not every 5th. Mechanist has 3 toolbelt skills. Some of them with 30+ sec cooldown. Now you know how long it takes to trigger the 5 sec of quickness skill.

These are the skills i Was basically talking about. 

3 hours ago, SeTect.5918 said:

I get that some traits are good like the toolbelt 15% cooldown reduction, the damage boosts and vigor but it also has lots of traits which are straight up trash. 

Lesser utility goggles could get a boost of resi duration since resi no longer helps against damaging conditions.

Lock on has a far too high cooldown in pve for what it does. Revealed is basically completely useless in pve.

Streamlined kits needs a massive buff or rework. Could maybe work as a condi trait?

Kinetic battery needs far too many charges to activate the quickness. It should give quickness per toolbelt skill or every 2nd toolbelt skill...Not every 5th. Mechanist has 3 toolbelt skills. Some of them with 30+ sec cooldown. Now you know how long it takes to trigger the 5 sec of quickness skill.

These are the skills i Was basically talking about. 

The lesser utility goggles are kind of ok, they are what you'd expect of a lesser version of the Utility goggles skill. Resistance is a rare boon anyway. 

Lock on also triggers on CC with the Controlled Analysis, as I use it I'm biased and I'd like to see it trigger more often, but it's still decent for the Vulnerability + Fury. 

Steamlined kits just seems not worth it, so I agree to that. 

Kinnetic Battery, simply dump the Superspeed all together and make it give a base 2 seconds of quickness on toolbelt skills just like Optimized Activation does with Vigor.