Festival Dates

Sirius Goldman.8507

Last year, starting the Mad King festival on the 18th of October felt WAY too late. Also, I imagine that the participation drops off dramatically when you let it run more than a week after Halloween has ended. People may grind it, but the enthusiasm is gone. I would ask that you start it a week or two earlier this year and have it end as close after Halloween that makes sense.

I am not someone that wants to see Christmas decorations in stores in July, but I feel like a general consensus would be to start Mad King as soon after October 1st as you can and Wintersday as soon after December 1st as you can. People are in the spirit and across multiple guilds over multiple years I have seen exasperated sighs that it has taken so long to start. I thought things were finally looking right in 2021, but then you had it go on until the 9th of November which is too long. Looking forward to seeing my old friend Steve again. ☠️🎃

• Like 2
  • Confused 2

I am fine with any date that does not overlap with a season start of new PvP season. Current one ends on Oct 17th, then 2 weeks mini season. Main season should start at 31th ... so earlier would be okay. But since Halloween itself (the real life thing) is not as important as maybe xmas (the only other festival tied to something in real life - the new year is not related to the western new year) ... I do not think does have that much influence there. For christmas it would a a bigge fault to let the wintersday run a lot longer after december 26th.

Having a good gap between halloween and wintersday also is important and I think in november november the next release for SotO will happen. and we need that to be festival-free so people can focus on the new PvE content ...

Edited by Luthan.5236
  • Like 2

I'm not sure how much the festival going beyond the real world date they are tied to is a reason activity drops off, or if after a couple weeks, regardless of time (festival of the four winds), people have done all the achievements and are starting to tire of the activity.  I know that is the case for me.

In general, Anet also seem to want to limit activities to 3 weeks, which may partly be to give more time for new content between activities.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I have to agree with IC. I think a 3 week runtime is fine, but after the first few days the interest goes into decline and in the third week it has dropped significantly.  As for picking a date. Do not use an NA-glass to look at this, but also reminder GW2 is played throughout the world. Halloween is a typical northern american festival. but as with other celebrations it takes elements of european festivals. The two most notable are st. Martin's day on november the 11th (celebrated throughout Europe in specific regions) and Guy Fawkes night on november the 5th in the UK.  Imigrants from europe took these to the states what led to the festivities they have on oktber 31th.

So in that view I would rather see a later date so it stretches atleast between october 31th till november 11th. So let it start on october 24th and end on november 14. That way all related festivals in both NA and Europe are in the window. As a bonus, the festival is still fresh on october 31th so a lot of people participate.

• Like 3

I like the festivals running for longer because it gives me and other people who may be away from home a chance to participate. Especially for Wintersday because there's a lot of holidays in December and in western countries even people who don't celebrate them often get time off work and take advantage of that to visit friends and family so a lot of people are likely to miss some of it. I've been at home on Christmas and New Years twice since I started playing GW1 in 2006 and both times it was because something ruined my plans.

(Also Anet close the studio for Christmas and New Years so letting it run into January instead of ending on/close to the first - which is the actual day of Wintersday - gives them some breathing room between coming back and needing to release something because nothing's happened for a while.)

I don't miss parts of other festivals as consistently, but it still happens and will happen to other people as well. I do think it's important they don't go on so long that events run into each other, but I think 3 weeks is a good compromise, especially if it's across two calendar months. I actually think it's good that it doesn't require the entire time to complete the achievements, it means people who miss part of it can catch up and people who can play from the start can go and do something else when it gets boring.

On 9/21/2023 at 10:38 AM, mercury ranique.2170 said:

I have to agree with IC. I think a 3 week runtime is fine, but after the first few days the interest goes into decline and in the third week it has dropped significantly.  As for picking a date. Do not use an NA-glass to look at this, but also reminder GW2 is played throughout the world. Halloween is a typical northern american festival. but as with other celebrations it takes elements of european festivals. The two most notable are st. Martin's day on november the 11th (celebrated throughout Europe in specific regions) and Guy Fawkes night on november the 5th in the UK.  Imigrants from europe took these to the states what led to the festivities they have on oktber 31th.

So in that view I would rather see a later date so it stretches atleast between october 31th till november 11th. So let it start on october 24th and end on november 14. That way all related festivals in both NA and Europe are in the window. As a bonus, the festival is still fresh on october 31th so a lot of people participate.

I've never heard anyone claim a direct link between Guy Fawkes Night and Halloween, only that the government and church encouraging people to celebrate the failure of the gunpowder plot gave them an excuse to revive Pagan Samhain celebrations (aka Halloween) which were illegal at the time, having been (forcibly) replaced by the Christian All Saints Day, aka All Hallows. Although there was a lot of political and religious turmoil at the time so I'm sure some people were sincerely celebrating (or mourning) the attack on parliament being stopped.

Although since Halloween in GW2 has a lot of it's own lore, in spite of obviously starting as an in-universe interpretation of the American holiday, I think it's less important to tie it to the real-life date. According to the lore Halloween occurs whenever the Lunatic Court manage to weaken the barriers between the Mad Realm and Tyria enough to temporarily allow Mad King Thorn's spirit to escape, so it starts whenever they manage to do that and goes on as long as they can maintain it. We're just lucky they're not especially competent so 3 weeks is the best they've achieved (in about 500 years of trying) and their king seems to be confined to Lion's Arch when he does return.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/10/2023 at 1:16 AM, Sirius Goldman.8507 said:

I am not someone that wants to see Christmas decorations in stores in July, but I feel like a general consensus would be to start Mad King as soon after October 1st as you can and Wintersday as soon after December 1st as you can. People are in the spirit and across multiple guilds over multiple years I have seen exasperated sighs that it has taken so long to start. I thought things were finally looking right in 2021, but then you had it go on until the 9th of November which is too long. Looking forward to seeing my old friend Steve again.

So - Typically I only pvp. I have had this cool experience where like 8-9 people from my guild from vanilla launch have returned to GW2 and so we have like an OG party of like 15 people in our disc (which is awesome nostalgia) and we all wanted to do the Mad King event as group together to get back into playing together again.

We were all really dismayed to discover that the event starts on the 17th? We all intuitively thought it would be the first and were gonna link up this to get it going. By mid October the hype is almost already over. Its a weird choice.

the 1st of October and the first of December should 100 percent be the start dates. I find it really weird. This is what actually brought me to this part of the forums - I was looking to make sure googles info on the 17th - 5th of November for some reason? Is actually accurate. Appears it is. Pretty goofy. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

14 hours ago, Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:

If 'Mad King' started on the first of October, it would not even cover Halloween.  Same with Wintersday and the first of December

Lol. I am asking for it to be the 1st to 31st of October (covering Halloween and the month of Halloween) and the 1st of December to the fist of January for Christmas and New Years. Your statement is based assuming I want it to be a 3 week run time for an event - I am not suggesting that lmao. That timeline of 3 weeks for an event is also weird. Typically, events, themes, etc take place for the "month of" its a standard timeline. It also allows for less of a crunch and for people to play. As referenced earlier by another player. 

Edited by jdawgie.1835
  • Like 1
  • Confused 2

Running events on increments of x weeks long does make sense since festivals now include weekly limits/rewards on certain things.  Otherwise, there would be certain short weeks that would make some of those hard or give more rewards.

There also seems to be a standard to start/stop events on Tuesdays - I'm not sure why that is the case (other than Tuesday being traditional release day).  It might be that it gives them time to fix any bugs that show up during a normal work week - if they did a Thursday afternoon release and find some bugs, not a lot of time to fix those bugs before the weekend shows up.

14 hours ago, Sakiri.4809 said:

Do they do server maintenance on Tuesday like most games? Or weekly reset? Not sure when that is.... But those would explain the Tuesday thing. That's why wow and such do it. 

Updates are usually on a Tuesday, and happen around 9am - 10am Pacific time (about 16:00 - 17:00 UTC I think) because Anet are based in Seattle. We don't know when they do server maintenance because they don't need to take the servers offline to do it, so they don't tell us and it isn't noticable, but Tuesdays seem likely. Patches can come any time (there's often several after a big update) and again they don't take the servers offline to do it, if you're online at the time you just get a notification to log out when you can to download the patch.

There's also an automatic server reset daily at 0:00 UTC, and weekly on Mondays at 7:30 UTC but I think those are automated. Oh and individual maps will shut down and restart dynamically depending on how many players are there.

Edited by Danikat.8537

On 10/6/2023 at 9:57 PM, jdawgie.1835 said:

Lol. I am asking for it to be the 1st to 31st of October (covering Halloween and the month of Halloween) and the 1st of December to the fist of January for Christmas and New Years. Your statement is based assuming I want it to be a 3 week run time for an event - I am not suggesting that lmao.

October 1st till October 31st is four weeks and a half. That doesn't make sense when you look at GW2's festival schedules.

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 2

Been anticipating the Shadow of the mad king event for weeks now... I found the event duration to be much greater in 2021.

"The gates to the Mad Realm will be open for a treat-filled five weeks, from October 5 until November 9. Have a happy Halloween!"

This year it'll be "October 17 through November 7." according to the wiki.

I'm curious what the hold up is. Seems like we're just waiting... 

During the COVID years, some events ran longer than usual because they didn't really have any content to throw at players.  I even remember some announcement about it, related to COVID.

2021 would seem beyond the main COVID period, but maybe they just carried it on for 2021.

All that said, not sure why they couldn't have started it on the 10th this year, and had it go for an extra week.  I sort of get not wanting to end it on Halloween itself.  But at this point, that ship has sailed - they are hardly going to change things now and start it tomorrow.

• Like 1

3 weeks it the usual duration. The exceptions really were mainly during COVID cause more people had more time to play. This has been discussed  often enough: Too long and it will put more pressure on people. (That already claim to burnout for less reasons.) When you feel like having to do the daily every day to not miss anything - since it is a event limited to that weeks. 3 weeks playing it is enough. Do not worry ... there will be Wintersday soon after this. The biggest gaps in between seasonal events is after SAB I think. Halloween/Wintersday and then New Year - are pretty tight and close to each other on the calender/schedule.

• Like 1

On Wintersday, I'd note two things:

First, Wintersday is just as much about the Tyrian new year as being the Tyrian equivalent of Christmas. Strictly speaking, in fact, it should be happening just before the spring thaw, but ArenaNet wanted it to line up with the equivalent real-world festivals.

Second, on that note, for Orthodox Christians, depending on the sect Christmas might only start on the 25th and finish around January 5. This is where the concept of 'twelve days of Christmas' comes from.

• Like 1

I like the festivals starting 'late' bc that way the enthusiasm for the festival and the enthusiasm for the rl holiday peak near one another instead of the rl event happening at the tail of the festival when enthusiasm for the in game event has trailed off . . .

• Like 1