What's everyone's favorite Alac DPS provider?

Mount Mazama.2917

My wife recently started playing this game with me, she is in love with the ranger pet because "it is her little buddy". She is dead set on playing DPS ranger and doesn't want to play healer at all. Well, I play primarily solo OW and PvP so I also have all of my hours playing DPS self reliant classes and builds. She has no interest in PvP so we will primarily be doing OW events and dabble in Instances when she hits 80. Because I want to actually get into groups or build reasonable groups I have decided the best thing we can do is provide alacrity and quickness between the two of us. As a damage ranger main I feel like her only real option here is quickness Untamed. This leaves me with the responsibility of an Alac provider. I main Elementalist but honestly I find Tempest to be cumbersome. I would prefer to play DPS so I can play something similar to what I would do in PvP and solo OW, however I am flexible and if someone thinks there is a heal alacrity build that is just way better to play in general I would consider it. So what's everyone's favorite?

TL:DR: Best/easiest/most fun Alac provider build that everyone is playing?

For open world and group events Alac specter, Alac Mirage, Alac Mechanist, Alac bladesworn, and Alac scourge are all very good.  

Alac Renegade is also solid, it just gets overshadowed by Herald atm.  

Alac Willbender I believe is also solid for open world but I haven’t played it myself and I don’t think it provides any other boons.  

Edit:  My favorites are Mechanist and Specter.  Mainly because thief and engineer have been my mains for a long time.  

Edited by Stx.4857
  • Like 1

On 9/29/2023 at 1:59 AM, Alcatraznc.3869 said:

I dont know if it is still viable for group content at least but Mirage S/S used to provide alac while basically being almost invincible and outputing ok damage due to spamming ambush skill.

Condi Alac Mech looks interesting as well.

Never play alac mirage, and especially don't recommend it.

On 9/29/2023 at 3:00 PM, Stx.4857 said:

For open world and group events Alac specter, Alac Mirage,

NEVER play alac mirage open world. Do you like feeling useless?

Druid, Mech,  Scourge, Tempest and Renegade are the only playable alac givers.

Edited by Kozumi.5816
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2

I'd say Alac Specter would be a good suggestion. Good DPS and can provide good healing also.

Scourge probably would be a good choice too.

Specters downside is normally that the heal skills are targeted so it is clunky to keep an entire group healed.

But if you're mostly playing in a duo then that's the ideal situation for Specters.

Edited by Roadkizzle.2157
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Blood Red Arachnid.2493 said:

I'm still partial to Renegade myself.  Just push 1 button off cooldown, and then do what is needed for the rest of the fight.  

This.

Pros of Renegade for an alacrity build:

1) You can provide 100% alacrity upt to 30 seconds just pushing F4 a few times every minute. Nothing else is needed.

2) The build can deal damage at any range (mele ot range) and is agnostic in terms of damage and gear: works with diviner, works with ritualist, works with celestial. Shot bow and mace & axe go around 50% in terms of physical damage/condition damage. You don't need any extra boon duration in sigils or runes.

3) Renegade has mid base HP and high base armor.

4) You have freedom with your legend choices:   Kalla, Mallyx, Jalis.... all have strong cc tools, and you can run staff if you want to go bonkers in that department.

My favourite Renegade build for OW events when I don't play solo and want to bring value to a team:

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?PmgAUZlxQHsOqhxROMP6hRSfMCKgj2U5TH-DyIY1o6/UKUCkpQIXFQviAF+BIFBaP8We0TDA-e

You provide perma alacrity, you provide stability on demand, you crit all the time proccing  more torment and vulnerability, you have a ton of cleansing and self sustain, good HP, high armor and you can provide strong damage mitigation through your Jalis elite; your damage is decent and you're near 90% condi duration, which fora hybrid build is really good. But the best part is that is very easy to play, since you just camp short bow and swap legends to get advantage of Charged Myst.

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Panda.1967 said:

Chronomancer Mesmer can actually provide 100% uptime for both Alacrity and Quickness just by shatter spamming their clones… this is insanely easy to pull off with a Scepter.

You will have huge issues generating clones in open world due to mobs instantly dying.

Can people stop recommending Mesmer? It's the most frustrating and least effective open world class for giving boons.

Edited by Kozumi.5816
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 3

3 hours ago, Kozumi.5816 said:

You will have huge issues generating clones in open world due to mobs instantly dying.

Can people stop recommending Mesmer? It's the most frustrating and least effective open world class for giving boons.

I play open world all the time. Yes, clone generation can be troublesome sometimes, but it doesn’t take much to get the ball rolling. The build I run doesn’t even require 3 clone shatters to keep up 100% uptime, but it does help. I usually start with popping Mirror Image for an instant 2 clones then shatter those two immediately and let my scepter auto attack build up the next set of clones, if the enemy is about to die or my boons are about to drop I will shatter my clones without waiting for the third. Once you get things started though and get your first 3 clone shatter you’ll be generating 3 clones every 1.5sec. Furthermore, mirror image should be off cooldown by the time you run into any issues with enemies dying too fast. Allowing you to jumpstart your clone generation again. Any time you move to a new target use Mirror Image if it is off CD. Also, if a target is about to die, change targets before you shatter so the new clone from Illusionary Reversion will be on a fresh target. 

I run Scepter/Shield so I’ve actually got a lot of clone generation going on… any time I need to block or dodge an attack I generate a clone. The trick to mesmer is to shatter quick and often… you want 3 clone shatters ideally, but never be afraid to shatter early.

Also, for the record, I’ve been very vocal since Alpha that mesmer clones should persist to the end of combat instead of until target enemy death. As time has passed the current clones shatter on target death mechanic has become more and more of a problem.

Edited by Panda.1967
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1