Intel ARC A770 and GW2?

Have a friend that is upgrading his computer. He's on a budget and the 8GB A770 just dropped to $220. Anyone used this card with GW2? I know the card has enough power, but I'm wondering if any driver issues have been encountered.

Pretty much any GPU would be an upgrade he's running an Nvidia GTX 790 at this time. Will be upgrading his CPU, memory and motherboard to a 12900K w/ DDR5. Microcenter had a nice bundle for 32GB DDR5, an MSI Z690-Pro and the 12900K for $399. but he's trying to keep the total to around $600 right now and needs a cars supported by DaVinci Resolve. Hence the 8GB A770.

Intel did some real work on their drivers over the last year, but sadly I wasn't able to find much reports about GW2 in particular. I'd imagine it works pretty good, as there are some videos on youtube showcasing performance. If you aren't running around alone, the game will be CPU limited anyway. Also, GW2 doesn't use DX9 anymore, which was the achilles heel of the Arc cards.

1 minute ago, Chaba.5410 said:

There was another poster here a few months ago having issues with that card in DX11.  It has to do with the emulation mode the driver does for DX11.

Arc cards use D3D11on12, which isn't emulation. For DX9 they use emulation, true, but not for 11. Problem might still be true though, as D3D11on12 doesn't implement everything, just a large subset.

9 minutes ago, ZenDrake.8316 said:

Arc cards use D3D11on12, which isn't emulation. For DX9 they use emulation, true, but not for 11. Problem might still be true though, as D3D11on12 doesn't implement everything, just a large subset.

Ah nice to know. It was described as emulation originally. I just remember that driver does something differently for DX9 from DX11 and when GW2 dropped DX9 the guy started having performance issues related to the driver support.

Edited by Chaba.5410

37 minutes ago, ZenDrake.8316 said:

Intel did some real work on their drivers over the last year, but sadly I wasn't able to find much reports about GW2 in particular. I'd imagine it works pretty good, as there are some videos on youtube showcasing performance. If you aren't running around alone, the game will be CPU limited anyway. Also, GW2 doesn't use DX9 anymore, which was the achilles heel of the Arc cards.

Is this the work you mentioned they did to improve the performance?  It was definitely months before this news that the other guy was reporting performance issues with the switch to DX11. I wonder if he's seen improvement.

https://www.pcworld.com/article/2034968/intel-arc-gpus-get-a-huge-performance-boost-in-dx11-games.html

Edited by Chaba.5410

36 minutes ago, Chaba.5410 said:

Is this the work you mentioned they did to improve the performance?

Not that one in particular, but if you compare the current drivers to the ones from the start of the year, there's a massive gap. AMD and Nvidia just have a massive advantage in terms of driver development.

36 minutes ago, Chaba.5410 said:

I wonder if he's seen improvement.

Yeah would be great to know...

Edited by ZenDrake.8316

• 4 weeks later...

@Chaba.5410

Yes, driver version 31.0.101.4952 came with specific Guild Wars 2 optimalizations.

• Guild Wars 2* (DX11)
    • Up to 53% average FPS uplift at 1080p with Ultra settings

This driver decreases the driver overhead a lot and makes frame time very consistent.

I've also discovered that switching the power profile, in Windows 11, to "High performance" also helps a lot.

• Thanks 2