Story melee ally ineffective if your char is in ranged mode?

Greetings,

I may be missing a mechanic or action, but I noticed in the story segments, that sometimes your ally, a melee NPC, just follows you around if you are ranged instead of engaging the enemy.  For example in the Icebrood saga "No quarter" at the end when meeting the Frost Legion & Boss, when my char was doing ranged, Rytlock Brimstone (melee) just followed me around and stared at me instead of engaging the enemy.  Is there a mechanic to disengage him from following my char and to start fighting in support?

Thanks in advance for any information!

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

It's probably part of the AI being not as good as it could be.

Their default action seems to be to follow you most of the time and only attack enemies in their range. And if you shoot enemies from afar, chances are high that enemies will not enter your NPC's range.

But this might be a result of crucial NPCs in the original game, especially in the Prophecies campaign, rushing ahead without consideration for player positioning and dying. NPCs dying often ended missions in failure. Thus Arenanet made the AI more passive back then, which may have resulted in GW2's NPC AI also being more passive.

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 2

7 hours ago, Talesman.5942 said:

I may be missing a mechanic or action, but I noticed in the story segments, that sometimes your ally, a melee NPC, just follows you around if you are ranged instead of engaging the enemy.  For example in the Icebrood saga "No quarter" at the end when meeting the Frost Legion & Boss, when my char was doing ranged, Rytlock Brimstone (melee) just followed me around and stared at me instead of engaging the enemy.  Is there a mechanic to disengage him from following my char and to start fighting in support?

In some releases, the NPCs would engage the enemy and also rez you when you go down. In others, they wouldn't do either. I suspect that it's a programming thing -- whether the devs who worked on the respective mission had time to program the allies' behavior and make them "act smart" or not.

Unfortunately, there is nothing you can do from a player's perspective to "control" the NPCs' behavior. They don't deal much damage anyway, so it's not really a loss of DPS to have them idle around, but yeah... it is what it is.

• Confused 2

in a later instance during the level 80 personal story, you're not only fighting multiple mobs but also expected to run the siege equipment (at multiple stations, one after the other). There are many potential allies there, but they mostly hang back and don't help at all. Occasionally one comes out to fight with you but very rarely.

Like, is there cake back where they're hanging out? 😅

• Like 1
  • Confused 2