any way to replay the story?

Ethas.5427

So i haven't played the game for like, let's go with a very long time. I believe the 2nd expansion(the one after HoT) was the last time i was roughly around. I haven't been caught up on the story, so I was wondering if there was a way to replay the story, or least go back without having to make a new character, as I rather not lose progress on my current characters

granted, if there's no other choice, then I would probably do it, but I also remember that all the different races and such had different stories

• Sad 1

Just now, Widebody.5071 said:

Use the story journal in your hero tab and you should be be able to quit, continue or start any story journals you may have started.

is this for like, the actual beginning beginning of the story? or is it like, for only the newer stuff like the Living World content iirc?

• Confused 1

30 minutes ago, Widebody.5071 said:

Should cover everything you started in living story. The Player Adventure Guide covers all the initial stuff for building up your character. 

so just started the game, turns out you can't replay the personal story from the beginning, meaning I'll probably just have to make a new character at this point.

• Confused 1

You can't pickup where you left off? I'm currently doing that right now on a storage unit I started in 2012 before taking a like a 6+ year break.

You never mentioned personal story, if I'm not wrong I believe that require a new toon but Why start over when you can just pick up where you left off? that's what I did, I also left during HOT and I returned during the pandemic.

Sorry I couldn't help but i gave it my shot.

• Haha 1

Just now, Widebody.5071 said:

You can't pickup where you left off? I'm currently doing that right now on a storage unit I started in 2012 before taking a like a 6+ year break.

You never mentioned personal story, if I'm not wrong I believe that require a new toon but Why start over when you can just pick up where you left off? that's what I did, I also left during HOT and I returned during the pandemic.

Sorry I couldn't help but i gave it my shot.

I finished the personal story, hence why I'm asking about it because it's been so long since I last done it.

my apologies, I thought that the personal story was included when I mentioned it, but I guess not

• Sad 1

The personal story cannot be replayed on the same character. You would have to make a new character to do that. Everything else can be replayed, and you won't lose any progress by doing that. (Well, you might lose a tiny bit if you stopped 1/2 way through an instance, but for example if you finish the first 3 chapters of the PoF story then switch to HoT for a while when you go back to PoF you'll be able to start from the beginning of Chapter 4.)

The personal story, as the name implies, is tailored to the character. The level 10 and 20 chapters are based on choices at character creation (for example for asura it's which college they're part of and their first invention) the level 30 one is based on their race, 40 - 60 are which Order they joined and then it starts to merge into one campaign. There's also numerous choices within the story which change what happens next (some of which have minor effects later on as well). So to replay it exactly as you did you'd need a character with the same race and biography choices at character creation and then you'd need to make all the same choices, including joining the same Order. But the overall themes are the same for everyone.

You can replay every story steps except ... the "core personal story". (The one that guides you through the levels until level 80. Where you have to select an order.) I would recommend another char - to get back into the game. Leveling that one normally until level 80 doing the core story. Then you can switch back to the main char or stay with the other char (if you like that one more - maybe try a different profession).

For the order selection you can check the story journal certain steps and compare it to the wiki - for your main. To see whch order you selected. And which other story steps. You you can try a different thing on the other char. (Recommended to have one char each order for certain achievements but storywise there are no big differences - you can play the later story without knowing about the details there.)

On 10/17/2023 at 4:54 AM, Widebody.5071 said:

Np, it's all good! 😉

Here you can find out what option there is to plan for making a new character which follow what you done so far on the old character.

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Personal_story

Don't delete to old character as you will get Birthday gift that is depending on your characters age (time since it was created).

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Birthday_Gift

You can finish up what you left on your old character for Personal Story (Personal Story phase you into the main story which is the same for all character - it is only your race (small introduction to what later will be part of main story), your alliance where you pick Order to join (give access to each Order's main headquarter) and the transition into Pact (as commander) for the main story which ends with your first battle with a Dragon.

You can jump between story in Journal (Hero Panel), but some story chapter are longer then other so check first on GW2 wiki if you should complete it (to get access to replay it for achievements). If you don't complete it and change story chapter/episode then you might have to start all over the same episode next time you want to finish it up.  When you complete a story you will often have different purple starting points on map where you can activate only that part of story chapter to replay it to finish up achievements that you might still not have done.

For Living World chapters, you will also unlock maps that you would otherwise have to use a Teleport to Friend (just remember there is a rather long cooldown on T2F, read Notes in link for limitation of T2F) to get access when you do story that are related to LW season.

Check on GW2 wiki for how to get to any map area or region that are part of LW (or any map at all) as there is often several option listed in the start for that map region including which story step that will unlock map for that character.