How 'bout Arenanet start writing for each nerf why they decided it was needed?

Rhailex.2513

The game needs replayability, and the balance team need a mean to keep them under a paycheck.

The reality we face is that there will always be build-changing nerf and buffs that isn't necessarily made to refine the game, but rather to stimulate gamers to stay active.

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, Vilin.8056 said:

The game needs replayability, and the balance team need a mean to keep them under a paycheck.

The reality we face is that there will always be build-changing nerf and buffs that isn't necessarily made to refine the game, but rather to stimulate gamers to stay active.

Like how grocery stores regularly change their layout to confuse their customer base and keep them in the store longer?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

20 minutes ago, Lan Deathrider.5910 said:

Bug Fixes:

Warriors were warrioring in a too warrior like fashion so now warrior warriors less warrior.

I didn't notice that the nerf to Orange Whiff has been placed into a bug section.

But we know that Warrior and players main'ing it have been bugging them for years now, so it fits.

Edited by Fueki.4753
  • Like 1

moreover, such explanations themselves are actually a lose-lose situation, for bias and incompetence is already obvious enough from just looking at patch notes. surely, they want not to discredit themselves even more by stating "0.1% of speedrunning raid community abused broken-on-release warhorn to great extent. as such, we are nerfing ele as a whole."

overall, issue is the lack of feedback as a whole, for it doesnt quite matter if the initial question the community goes from "what are the reasons for such unnecessary change?" to "how you even reached those reasons?".

it might be a step, but it needs to just be a first one.

Edited by peperoncino.2516
  • Like 1

On 10/17/2023 at 1:25 PM, Rhailex.2513 said:

...since there obviously must be a reason they do it, right?

Edit: Same goes for buffs and just changes overall

Why? So you can argue with them when you think they are wrong?

I mean sure ... Anet is going to spend more time and money to set themselves up for more unnecessary grief from players who don't get what they want. Makes sense. 

Edited by Obtena.7952
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 3

On 10/17/2023 at 1:25 PM, Rhailex.2513 said:

...since there obviously must be a reason they do it, right?

Edit: Same goes for buffs and just changes overall

Here's a few off the top of my head (for best experience, read aloud in your best worst "I Are Devloper" [sic] voice):

Nerfed thief again because one of those little kittens ganked me in wvw and I hate that why did we ever make this class and not put in basic limits on stealth or even break the Black Powder -> Heart Seeker self-combo for stealth?

Decreased the damage coefficient on some warrior skill or another from 1.3 to 0.7 in PvP and WvW because honestly I'm just tired of people using the weapon we vaguely buffed a while ago.  Also they hit me really hard and that's not cool (I'm a developer, I'm supposed to win.  That's why I have the little ArenaNet guild tag!)

Decided to completely redo a core necromancer skill because look, it was overperforming in maybe like, one or two raids and also PvP, but it's just easier to not use the tech we reintroduced (after literal years of player backlash) from GW1 to have competitive mode splits, kind of like when we completely gutted Specter shroud for being "too oppressive" (my feelings were really hurt that day, ok?  Do you know how close I was to a perfect KDR?  Foo on you BigThom76 and your discount necromancer nonsense.)

Someone (not me) got kitten in competitive modes again, so we just plain nerfed everyone.  That's cool, right?  Yeah, definitely.

Raiders keep breaking the new raid wing boss because someone (it was me, not like I'm going to admit to it) left a skip in that keeps messing with the encounter mechanics.  Also Elementalist isn't supposed to perform well, so yeah, nerfed elementalist.  Again.  #downstatemeta

Players were enjoying the new loot too much, so loot has been nerfed.  Yes, you read that right, we nerfed the loot.  Deal with it, casuals.

I AM FEELING REALLY OPPRESSED RIGHT NOW I uh ... I mean, thief is still too oppressive in competitive, so more nerfs, lol.

We feel Soulbeast is in a good place, so we're just going to nerf druid instead.  What do you mean it's overpowered?  No its not, I like it.  It's fun ganking noobs.

Turns out people are enjoying a previous "nerf," so we nerfed the nerf so it nerfs harder.  Nerf nerf nerf.  Stop having fun.  Errr ... bigger balance patch coming in 2 months!

Also, someone posted a new speed record to SnowCrows, so we need to nerf that build really hard, because holy crap, they're way better than me.

Edited by itspomf.9523
Added late patch notes
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, Obtena.7952 said:

Why? So you can argue with them when you think they are wrong?

I mean sure ... Anet is going to spend more time and money to set themselves up for more unnecessary grief from players who don't get what they want. Makes sense. 

You say that like they've been listening to us at all in the last several months.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

17 hours ago, itspomf.9523 said:

You say that like they've been listening to us at all in the last several months.

I do? That's not the intent. It just seems rather silly for people to think Anet explaining to us MORE about what and why they change will do SOMETHING to keep those people from complaining. I don't really see the point of the OP's request. Clearly the kinds of people that want MORE explanations don't think Anet listen to them anyways ... so why would those people start believing Anet if they gave more info?

Put another way. People complain regardless of what Anet says so it doesn't matter what Anet says.

Edited by Obtena.7952
  • Thanks 1