Rifts: Frustration moving between rifts

Ghastly.3914

Ok Arenanet, we have to talk about game design. In an mmorpg you should avoid frustrating your players because they didn't fly to the next rift at the exact moment as everyone else. I myself get to rifts on time and have no real issues with it but this kind of design where the time to get to the next rift is so exact and unforgiving gives a bad impression of the game.

Metas are good design because the community can chill together for 5-40 minutes together and work on things together. Even events during metas are slow enough so that most can get credit.

I like rifts a lot by the way, it's a fun concept because of how it ties to Soto's story but revisit the line between frustration and fairness.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 4

52 minutes ago, Ghastly.3914 said:

Ok Arenanet, we have to talk about game design. In an mmorpg you should avoid frustrating your players because they didn't fly to the next rift at the exact moment as everyone else. I myself get to rifts on time and have no real issues with it but this kind of design where the time to get to the next rift is so exact and unforgiving gives a bad impression of the game.

Metas are good design because the community can chill together for 5-40 minutes together and work on things together. Even events during metas are slow enough so that most can get credit.

I like rifts a lot by the way, it's a fun concept because of how it ties to Soto's story but revisit the line between frustration and fairness.

I don't think they're unforgiving or "exact" at all, the pre-event is there for a reason.

• Like 6

I've posted about the rift map marker bug.  The devs seem to not care and players either deny it or reply with a confused emoji.  At this point I only do a rift if it's a daily.

Considering rift hunting is poised to be the main activity throughout this expansion, I'm beginning to regret having purchased it.

• Like 3
  • Confused 4

The thing is rifts don't work like metas. If you miss the next one then there's just another next one, and it never stops. You never 'run out' of rifts. You just do as many as you like . . .

Edited by Gop.8713
I'm bad at typing things that need to be typed . . .
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

On the SotO maps they spawn in the same locations, so they are easier to find, the more you do.  I see what direction it is and use a waypoint to get as close as I can.  This cuts travel time down considerably.

But... a majority of the time the rift never shows up on the map.  If you do not already know the spots, they will be harder to find without a dependable map marker.

• Like 3

This is more about mount and map design issue. Keep in mind that I am not using waypoints for quicktravel to next rift since it cost silver and sometimes you do not see rift on map. If you have mounts, then travelling between rifts is easier. Now depending on map it can be really easy to get to next rift or really frustrating. Like The Echovald Wilds is not good map to have rifts. Timberline Falls was great since I could use bettle mount and be at next location in 20-30 secs.

Rifts for me work on "flat" maps where I can quickly travel between them. Moment I spend more time traveling between rifts than doing actual rifts it is not fun and I hate those maps.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2