SoTo skyscale unlock - Abandoned skyscale nests

I came back to the game recently. One character is going through the expansions in sequence. Another character is doing SoTO to get my skyscale sooner. I'm stuck at the first step in the collection for the unlock. I can only get to five of the nest locations so far. I spent a few hours today flying between those 5 locations but either the nests weren't respawning or other people were getting to them before I was. I even hung around on an expiring map for a while to see if I would have more of a chance of getting them, but no luck. A friend told me they had to check 15 nests before getting the egg. I'm wondering how many nest locations they had to check before they found 15 nests. I'm way over 15 for that.

I can't get to the western side of the Archipelago yet, or the Wizard's Tower or Amnytas. I don't know what I have to unlock before I can get there, so I only have these 5 nests to check. I imagine the chances of getting the egg from 1/3 of the possible nests really reduces my chances of getting the egg, but I don't know what else to do at this point. Maybe I just have to keep grinding events that I can reach in order to unlock the masteries that will let me get to the rest of this zone and the other two zones where the other nest locations are.

Hehe. If this is the quick way to get the skyscale, I'm dreading running into the slow way. This is already taking forever. : )

Any help would be appreciated.

• Thanks 1

The nests are yours. No one can get to them before you do. They only seem to respawn once a day.

One thing you can do is ask someone with a turtle to take you around to all the waypoints in the zone, it should let you get more places more easily. I'd happily do it if you're on a US server.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Alabaster.1468 said:

I came back to the game recently. One character is going through the expansions in sequence. Another character is doing SoTO to get my skyscale sooner. I'm stuck at the first step in the collection for the unlock. I can only get to five of the nest locations so far. I spent a few hours today flying between those 5 locations but either the nests weren't respawning or other people were getting to them before I was. I even hung around on an expiring map for a while to see if I would have more of a chance of getting them, but no luck. A friend told me they had to check 15 nests before getting the egg. I'm wondering how many nest locations they had to check before they found 15 nests. I'm way over 15 for that.

I can't get to the western side of the Archipelago yet, or the Wizard's Tower or Amnytas. I don't know what I have to unlock before I can get there, so I only have these 5 nests to check. I imagine the chances of getting the egg from 1/3 of the possible nests really reduces my chances of getting the egg, but I don't know what else to do at this point. Maybe I just have to keep grinding events that I can reach in order to unlock the masteries that will let me get to the rest of this zone and the other two zones where the other nest locations are.

Hehe. If this is the quick way to get the skyscale, I'm dreading running into the slow way. This is already taking forever. : )

Any help would be appreciated.

The old way had fixed positions for Skyscale Collection items/interactables, which meant that it was surefire steady but slow progress. (12 days for me, can be done in 3)
The new one took me longer than the old one becuz of crappy RNG, which further discouraged me from actively trying to finish it, as I was alrdy in possession of Skyscale. But other than that, it is far faster on every other step, so don't be too alarmed.

A lot of ppl THINK they need LW3 for the Ice Egg collection bit, but u can simply join a Claw of Jormag fight, then hang around the Elite/Champ mobs to the side of the final phase fight. If they freeze you, u will get the Ice Egg.

Everything else is simply following Wiki or generic Skyscale guides. Best of luck!

Edited by MercurialKuroSludge.8974
  • Like 1

I was able to get to and open the Tower, so I think I'll be able to get myself to all the nest locations now. Thanks for the responses and the offer to help. Also, thanks for mentioning the wiki. I'd looked at the page for Abandoned Skyscale Nest before and didn't feel helped. You inspired me to go to the A New Friend page, which showed 7 more nests than the other guide I'd looked at, so I'm in much better shape now to complete it. Thanks again. Sometimes my somewhat-autistic brain doesn't think of the obvious. : )

The wiki says they respawn, but I don't think I've ever seen one in the same place twice. I'm still very new at it though.

Edited by Alabaster.1468
  • Like 1

On 10/27/2023 at 6:31 PM, Randulf.7614 said:

They do respawn and it can take a lot of nests. I'm not entirely sure why they made it quite so rare, but you will get there suddenly and that silly bit will be done forever

I'm guessing that the intent was to drive and keep players on the new maps.  Didn't work for me.  Already have my skyscale and this horrible RNG caused me to give up on this achievement, so I've stopped coming to these maps.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, kharmin.7683 said:

I'm guessing that the intent was to drive and keep players on the new maps.  Didn't work for me.  Already have my skyscale and this horrible RNG caused me to give up on this achievement, so I've stopped coming to these maps.

I found the trick was not to seek the nests specifically, but do other things and check a nest if one appears nearby. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, kharmin.7683 said:

I already gave up, to much of a time sink.

I keep checking nest locations where I've previously used a nest and I've never seen another one there. I still have no evidence of this respawning you speak of, so I'm giving up on them. I just got to Amnytas, so I'll check the nests there. If I don't find one there, I'll reevaluate. Thanks for all the comments.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Alabaster.1468 said:

I keep checking nest locations where I've previously used a nest and I've never seen another one there. I still have no evidence of this respawning you speak of, so I'm giving up on them. I just got to Amnytas, so I'll check the nests there. If I don't find one there, I'll reevaluate. Thanks for all the comments.

This has been my experience as well.

I'm glad you got an egg eventually. 🙂

I'm still not sure when the nests reset. I found one nest the first day I started the collection (the one on a ledge below the skyscale trainer) and when I checked the next day it hadn't reset, I found 2 or 3 others over the next few days and then when I had more time I used a guide to check all the nests in Skywatch. None of the ones I'd found previously had reset.

After that I thought I was stuck until I got access to the Wizard's Tower, but sometime after that I noticed the nest near the trainer had reset, checked others on the map and they had reset as well and I got my egg from the 3rd nest on my second go around.

Based on my experience I'd assume they only reset after you've checked all the nests on the map, but other people have told me that's not the case. My second guess would be that it's a weekly reset, but other people have said it's daily and it definitely didn't reset daily for me. So I'm not sure.

I do know other people checking the same nests doesn't affect your chances, and I think it's very unlikely that some of the more extreme theories are true, like eggs only drop in a certain timeframe, or there's a fixed number that can drop for all players per day. I think Anet could program something like that, but I don't think they would when simple RNG would achieve the same result.

From my experience and from what I red online, there are just 15 nests (9 in Archipelago and 6 in Amnytas).  Every time you check a nest you have a random chance to find the egg in 1 over 15 possibilities.  If the nest is empty it will disappear.  The next nest you find you will have 1 over 14, the next one will have 1 over 13, and so on.

This mean that by the time you visit all 15 nests you will find an egg for sure, since if you did not find it in 14 nests, the 15th (and last) nest will have 1 over 1 (100%) chance to have the egg!

I found mine at 12th in a 3 days search.  And there was no daily respawn of the visited nests.

This should be the way it works now.

Tenofas

• Like 1