Recipe discovery

jhern.6097

33 minutes ago, jhern.6097 said:

Is there something I can use to see what recipes I still haven't discovered? I tried the efficiency website and the wiki, but the wiki doesn't like them all and the efficiency website only lists the non-discovery stuff.

Is the discovery panel on the crafting menu not enough?

7 minutes ago, jhern.6097 said:

Maybe I don't understand it. Don't I have to guess what it is that I need?

not really after you put the first thing anything that can mix with that thing will be highlighted.

If I dont remember wrong it even tells you how many more recipes the first thing can discover.

Edited by Linken.6345

40 minutes ago, Linken.6345 said:

not really after you put the first thing anything that can mix with that thing will be highlighted.

If I dont remember wrong it even tells you how many more recipes the first thing can discover.

Where does it say how many more recipes I can discover with the item?

One option is to search the Wiki for one of the items that shows up in the discovery panel, then look at the list of recipes it's used for to see if any for your crafting discipline are missing.

Unless you're a dedicated completionist you might not want to learn all of them because some have expensive components and may not be that useful.

6 hours ago, Linken.6345 said:

The problem is if don't have an item it won't appear in the list and the Discovery panel won't tell you what's missing.

For example if you select an apple in the chef discovery panel, it will highlight stick of butter and bag of sugar as things you can combine with it, but if you haven't made a ball of dough there's nothing to tell you that you need one to complete the recipe and make apple tart. It will just say you need to add more items.

If you're levelling chef without a guide you can get around that by regularly making those intermediate ingredients, especially early on, because it's a safe bet you'll need them for something, but other recipes are less obvious and making useless components can be an expensive mistake.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Danikat.8537 said:

If you're levelling chef without a guide you can get around that by regularly making those intermediate ingredients, especially early on, because it's a safe bet you'll need them for something, but other recipes are less obvious and making useless components can be an expensive mistake.

This always bugged me because I don't know for certain that I need one of those items and many of them don't have a slot in the material storage. Leaving me with an inventory full of random odds and ends I don't know if I need or not. They also often aren't worth selling either. Plus, it is annoying when you use up some ingredients to make an intermediary, only to realise you now need those same ingredients for something else, especially when it turns out you didn't need the intermediary after all.

I've maxed all my crafting but it would be nice to know all the cooking recipes, even the less useful stuff.

I dislike that it is char-bound. Though I do not plan to use any other chars anyway ... (But I still like to unlock a lot for completion. At least the basic stuff.)
but as someone mentioned: This has a different section on gw2fficiency. Most likely somewhere at your chars when you select one char.

The normal unlock section shows the account-wide stuff that you unlock with recipes.

Edit: Account->Characters, then click on a char. Then on "Discovered Recipes". It actually really shows the undiscovered ones as well. Nicely visible (greyed out a bit) and with filter options. Less stuff in total than I had expected. (I guess most stuff where a ton of recipes get generated are by account-wide recipes for boxes of armor and food trays. Afaik from mystic forge account-wide recipes. Not going to unlock these ones lol. Too expensive to just get for an unlock when the stuff is not needed.)

Edited by Luthan.5236
  • Like 1