I just realised... (buying SotO)

Holgarf.6581

Since SotO is the only expansion I haven't bought, or pre-ordered... (based on mixed-principles, lack of free time, several hundred other games, etc) I just saw the notification on the launcher/link (Studio Update) and I realised, having forgot prior, I'm going to have to buy SotO aren't I, unless I want to get locked out of those episodes and have to grind or buy them outright? I have such little free time...

"...anyone who owns Guild Wars 2: Secrets of the Obscure will have full and permanent access" eh?

So, is it like with prior content where if you buy the main expansion and log-in, you get those post-episodes if you're on during those times the episode is active? Just want to confirm for sure.

Cheers.

• Confused 6

theres no post episodes / "season X episodes" release anymore.
Soto released with 2 third of its story, and the last third should be added within the next few months. Then it'll probably move to the next expension, since they said they'd aim for 1 every year

Edited by Taclism.2406
  • Like 3
  • Confused 2

20 minutes ago, Holgarf.6581 said:

Since SotO is the only expansion I haven't bought, or pre-ordered... (based on mixed-principles, lack of free time, several hundred other games, etc) I just saw the notification on the launcher/link (Studio Update) and I realised, having forgot prior, I'm going to have to buy SotO aren't I, unless I want to get locked out of those episodes and have to grind or buy them outright? I have such little free time...

"...anyone who owns Guild Wars 2: Secrets of the Obscure will have full and permanent access" eh?

So, is it like with prior content where if you buy the main expansion and log-in, you get those post-episodes if you're on during those times the episode is active? Just want to confirm for sure.

Cheers.

The short answer is you don't have to buy SotO now to get the new episodes, but you won't be able to play it until you buy SotO.

Recieving a Living World episode during it's free release period never required you to own the relevant expansion. My second account has all the episodes 'unlocked' but can't play any of them because it doesn't have the expansions, but if I ever get them I won't have to buy the LW stuff seperately.

Now they've basically bundled it all together. The follow-up releases are part of SotO so anyone who buys it at any time will get them as well as the initial release we've already had, all as one package. It's the same with EoD and What Lies Beneath and What Lies Within. If a new player starts today and buys EoD they'll get those releases as well.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

12 minutes ago, Danikat.8537 said:

The short answer is you don't have to buy SotO now to get the new episodes, but you won't be able to play it until you buy SotO.

Recieving a Living World episode during it's free release period never required you to own the relevant expansion. My second account has all the episodes 'unlocked' but can't play any of them because it doesn't have the expansions, but if I ever get them I won't have to buy the LW stuff seperately.

Now they've basically bundled it all together. The follow-up releases are part of SotO so anyone who buys it at any time will get them as well as the initial release we've already had, all as one package. It's the same with EoD and What Lies Beneath and What Lies Within. If a new player starts today and buys EoD they'll get those releases as well.

Perfect.

I was a little thrown off by the "permanently" wording in their post and prior typical releases (though I guess this is the new typical).

Thanks for all the information. I'll probably get it sometime around November / December / Jan. I've still got the two post EoD episodes to conquer.

Living World has been renamed "mini-expansions" and will now be released in the same 3-months cadence as LW episodes used to.

Meaning: You pay for the whole thing in advance, get certain content on release and additional content every three months. After that, the next mini-expansion is already on the horizon.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 4

"Permanently" is probably for players who immigrated from other Mmos. 

Many mmos let you pay a subscription to access all expansions at once.  The moment the subscription ends that player finds themselves locked out of expansion content.  Those same mmos will also allow the player to permanently buy an expansion so that they can access it outside of paying a subscription.  The catch is that a subscription usually grants quality of life features on top of expansion access.

Gw2 does not currently have a subscription, but it seems a good idea to use phrasing that is familiar to players who have played subscription mmos.

Just a guess.

• Like 1

There are no post expac episodes. The expac is just split into 4 parts. I think you just read too much into the word “permanent”

Do keep in mind, the maps are active now. History suggests they will continue to be, but yearly expacs may mean certain objectives may prob tougher in the maps to get done.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Zebulous.2934 said:

"Permanently" is probably for players who immigrated from other Mmos. 

Many mmos let you pay a subscription to access all expansions at once.  The moment the subscription ends that player finds themselves locked out of expansion content.  Those same mmos will also allow the player to permanently buy an expansion so that they can access it outside of paying a subscription.  The catch is that a subscription usually grants quality of life features on top of expansion access.

Gw2 does not currently have a subscription, but it seems a good idea to use phrasing that is familiar to players who have played subscription mmos.

Just a guess.

It might also be for returning players who remember how things worked during Season 1 (which at the time was intended to be how GW2 always worked) where releases were only available for 1 month then gone forever.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1