Cant play new story

And i have this problem too. And You could pick the story from another episode released later. We did that many times on each chapter of lws3 or 4 (You could pick up jahai bluff story on character without kourna), or later also delve eod chapter 16 without going 15, then also pick up chapter 18 without having any of 1-17.

So now, i totally expected i could go chapter11 on another character. Reeeeee i have to go back and play it on a character i turned into a mule bank, stripped whole gear, partially salvaged, and dont know how to play coz patches changed it a lot since ive played early soto story - and i dont like the fact im fffffed. Even more, i dont know, if i could go new map on any other character without whole 1-11 episode story after i finish missing 11-13 on old mule.

Nah, i wont believe its intended, just some misunderstanding and bug, will be fixed soon.

35 minutes ago, Amikeho.2105 said:

And i have this problem too. And You could pick the story from another episode released later. We did that many times on each chapter of lws3 or 4 (You could pick up jahai bluff story on character without kourna), or later also delve eod chapter 16 without going 15, then also pick up chapter 18 without having any of 1-17.

This is not lw and these are not lw chapters. It's continuation of expansion story, the equivalent of hot/pof/eod story content, so that's the difference here.

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Like 3

I'm having the same issue. It wasn't a problem with Gyala Delve, and it's very odd it doesn't work here. In fact, there's a button on the story tab to Start Chapter 11, it just doesn't do anything when one presses it. If that's not intended, it makes no sense that it would be there.

13 minutes ago, Sobx.1758 said:

This is not lw and these are not lw chapters. It's continuation of expansion story, the equivalent of hot/pof/eod story content, so that's the difference here.

Maybe not LWS, but totally like EoD chapters 16 and 18 released much after main story part, and being the part of it.

No less, i claim the right to disappoint and to not playing same character after few months. Anet still keeps their right to release whatever they develop. Wouldn't be nice to try talk now and find something to make us all happy?

• Confused 1

2 minutes ago, Alopen.5087 said:

[...] there's a button on the story tab to Start Chapter 11, it just doesn't do anything when one presses it. If that's not intended, it makes no sense that it would be there.

Actually, I also have buttons to start chapter 12 and 13 on my alt, next to 11, none of them work.

20 minutes ago, Amikeho.2105 said:

Maybe not LWS, but totally like EoD chapters 16 and 18 released much after main story part, and being the part of it.

No less, i claim the right to disappoint and to not playing same character after few months. Anet still keeps their right to release whatever they develop. Wouldn't be nice to try talk now and find something to make us all happy?

Sure, you can talk, my answer was pointing out why it's probably not a bug and that's all. Doesn't mean they can't change it! 🤷‍♂️

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, Jonathan.8905 said:

Highlights another problem: how to get alts into the new map.  I'm not playing the whole story on 8 other characters just to get them to the new map.  This has to be a bug.

Afaik tp to friend works, maybe turtle passenger waypoint too. None of these solo. We may get unlocked some portal or book to some new town like hub zone later (like in half year?), so far, no way to solo afaik.

31 minutes ago, Jonathan.8905 said:

Highlights another problem: how to get alts into the new map.  I'm not playing the whole story on 8 other characters just to get them to the new map.  This has to be a bug.

There is "unders construction" poi in wizard's tower, there might be the portal coming up later (like at the end of the story, maybe), similarly to how it was with arborstone portal in la.

Edited by Sobx.1758

FIXED just now, it was the bug...

ahhh literally 5 minutes once ive done story on my ungeared unskilled mule character, but ok, i could wait, decided not to.

[edit:] nope, is not fixed, earlier got the popup to go new story, yet canceled while being busy other stuff, claiming it is fixed... but now, once ive tried to do the storry, ims till bugged; rip

Edited by Amikeho.2105
was speaking untrue, bamboozled myself
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Sobx.1758 said:

Ok so why have a button to play them if it's not meant to play, if you need to do all the other chapters first, if its really intended not play if you didnt play other chapters, it should say it, it does not.

https://imgur.com/a/i3NshVe

Edited by vrauns.3215

I think the hot patch yesterday afternoon addressed this issue.

Normally a character can't skip ahead in a story, but they implemented this differently so it acts like episodes and may have been bugged.

All I know is that I wasn't able to skip ahead on an account that hasn't started the story at all. The new content starts in a place I hadn't unlocked yet. Used teleport to friend stones though since and will check it out later.

17 hours ago, Ashantara.8731 said:

You never could play story chapters if you hadn't finished the previous ones on that character. Has always worked this way.

NO. That's only ever been true of chapters within a single content drop.

I'm happy to be corrected, if someone can give me a counterexample, but we have ALWAYS been able to leap straight into the start of a NEW DROP of content on any L80 character we chose. The most recent example would be What Lies Beneath (WLB) and What Lies Within (WLW), both of which show in the Story Journal as continuations of the EoD story - I'm an altoholic, so I keep records, and I have multiple characters who have done WLB without doing EoD, and one who has started WLW without having done either EoD or WLB.

On this occasion I strongly suspect it's a bug, because  clicking on the first new episode ("11. Duress") with any L80 character DOES give a "Play This Chapter" button, in the way that does, say, WLW (to pick one not remotely at random). Unfortunately, clicking on that doesn't actually do anything right now (beyond an annoying clicking noise).

If that's NOT the case, though, and this is deliberate, it needs reversing, and quickly. The simple fact is that there is NO good reason for it to be otherwise. It serves no positive game purpose. Players who want to maintain continuity can and will. Players who don't, shouldn't be forced into it. Right now I'm holding back from playing the content on one account until I know for sure. It would be extremely annoying and demotivating to be forced to fall back to a character I may have chosen to use several months ago but no longer wish to play. It would also, frankly, be a very serious precedent for coming drops, if players have to choose between sticking with a single character yet again or re-doing an increasingly-long story chain before the new content becomes accessible on their current prefered character.

Edited by Doghouse.1562
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

So whatever was supposed to have gotten fixed in the hot patch doesn't address this issue.

On a character that hasn't finished EoD, I can click on "Play this chapter" for What Lies Beneath, What Lies Within, and Interlude:Forward to skip ahead.  (Seriously, it's a change made to how stories function in EoD when this isn't something you could do in the past.)

When I click on "Play this chapter" for Duress, nothing happens.  I clicked on "Continue this Story" to start the Secret's Prologue then clicked on "Play This Chapter" for Duress and still nothing happens.

Edited by Chaba.5410