Staff Warriors Bring Frontline Support to the Heat of the Battle

Rubi Bayer.8493

My take:

The sound effect on AA3, F1, and Staff 5 needs to go. I'm not fighting underwater and in need of Sonar pings to find where my allies are. You're going to end up with beached Quaggan if those sound effects remain.

Staff 5, the AA chain will auto cancel the block, that needs to be fixed. There isn't much use for the concentration boost while blocking, the only boons that will put out there are from banners or FGJ. Consider adding that into Tactics somewhere, gain 2% increased concentration when you heal an ally per stack up to 10 stacks.

Staff 3, using Rush as the chassis here was a mistake. Use the Rev GS charge instead as the chassis of the skill. Also, if you detarget, go past the target, and retarget then like Rush it will go to the target but will not attack at the end of the charge. I tested this several times to confirm. Please fix this as well. Please make both effects activate regardless if a foe or an ally is targeted. That way the warrior can gain the positive effects when alone. It should still have the option to target allies, just make the offensive and support options activate no matter who is targered.

Staff 2, this is a very nice skill. It would be better with 900 range and a blast finisher.

Staff 4, this is also very nice. It needs at least 900 range though.

Regen does not need to be both on the AA chain and on F1, replace one of them with something else. A small barrier on the AA chain, on all hits but more on the last one would be great. If you opt to replace the regen on F1, then other boons like vigor, swiftness, resistance, and/ore stability would work well.

Staff 2, and the flipover on Staff 5 need to have blast finishers.

Staff 3 could be a leap finisher...

Staff AA3 could be a whirl finisher...

Some people are asking for a water field on F1, but the light aura lends itself more to a light field.

Overall though it is nice and will be good if you fix the problems on Staff 3 and Staff 5. If you beef up Staff 2 and 4 to 900 range as well then it will be great.

If you keep the aweful sonar pings on the AoE effects then all of our ears will bleed. The Quaggans will declare war upon all the warriors. The Orcas patrolling the Unending Ocean will begin assaulting Joon's pleasure yacht. We do not need echolocation to find our way around, we are not Daredevil.

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

Staff 3 is just a variant of Rush, which is tied with Hundred Blades for the worst weapon ability on Warrior. You should have taken Revenant's Phantom Onslaught as its base.

And if you get around to fixing this, can you finally also fix Rush? It's unfathomable that you let it fester for over a decade and even publicly joked about it.

Also, the leap needs to be longer. It's range should be at least 900.

Bullet Catcher being interrupted by auto-attacks should not be a thing.

Edited by Fueki.4753
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Lan Deathrider.5910 said:

The sound effect on AA3, F1, and Staff 5 needs to go. I'm not fighting underwater and in need of Sonar pings to find where my allies are. You're going to end up with beached Quaggan if those sound effects remain.

Staff 5, the AA chain will auto cancel the block, that needs to be fixed. There isn't much use for the concentration boost while blocking, the only boons that will put out there are from banners or FGJ. Consider adding that into Tactics somewhere, gain 2% increased concentration when you heal an ally per stack up to 10 stacks.

Staff 3, using Rush as the chassis here was a mistake. Use the Rev GS charge instead as the chassis of the skill. Also, if you detarget, go past the target, and retarget then like Rush it will go to the target but will not attack at the end of the charge. I tested this several times to confirm. Please fix this as well. Please make both effects activate regardless if a foe or an ally is targeted. That way the warrior can gain the positive effects when alone. It should still have the option to target allies, just make the offensive and support options activate no matter who is targered.

Staff 2, this is a very nice skill. It would be better with 900 range and a blast finisher.

Staff 4, this is also very nice. It needs at least 900 range though.

Regen does not need to be both on the AA chain and on F1, replace one of them with something else. A small barrier on the AA chain, on all hits but more on the last one would be great. If you opt to replace the regen on F1, then other boons like vigor, swiftness, resistance, and/ore stability would work well.

Staff 2, and the flipover on Staff 5 need to have blast finishers.

Staff 3 could be a leap finisher...

Staff AA3 could be a whirl finisher...

Some people are asking for a water field on F1, but the light aura lends itself more to a light field.

Overall though it is nice and will be good if you fix the problems on Staff 3 and Staff 5. If you beef up Staff 2 and 4 to 900 range as well then it will be great.

If you keep the aweful sonar pings on the AoE effects then all of our ears will bleed. The Quaggans will declare war upon all the warriors. The Orcas patrolling the Unending Ocean will begin assaulting Joon's pleasure yacht. We do not need echolocation to find our way around, we are not Daredevil.

I basically agree with you on those findings. They are kitten accurate.

Range on Staff 2 and Staff 4 need to be buffed for them to be useful.

Staff 3 both effect should activate at same time (and affect caster).

@Lan Deathrider.5910  Very nice summary.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Max Out.5732 said:

I basically agree with you on those findings. They are kitten accurate.

It didn't take very long to pick apart the weapon and find where it is good and in need of work.

Range on Staff 2 and Staff 4 need to be buffed for them to be useful.

They will work in PvE as is since people just stack on the boss, but for PvP and WvW those need to be 900 range to be of any real use.

Staff 3 both effect should activate at same time (and affect caster).

Yeah, ally targeting is not something this game was built for, and having the effect depend on who is targeted means that you can't get the positive effects for yourself if you are alone.

@Lan Deathrider.5910  Very nice summary.

TYVM.

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

Yo I wana mentioned it here. Staff is hella fun to play thx to cmc for doing it as it is. Tho it might be a bit too strong in pvp rn especialy with regen on aa chain and burst. This 2 things might have to go in the feature but still. Thanks alot ! 😄

Edited by Myror.7521

1 minute ago, Lan Deathrider.5910 said:

BUT THAT ISN'T WHAT REAL GUILDS DO?!?!?!

J/K

For real though there are those that treat anything other than the Zerg V. Zerg as not real WvW, which is the PvP version of 5v4 off point while a sneaky thief caps everything.

Meanwhile I'm mostly just a casual roamer when I play it. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

My favorite part of staff was how the targeting of rush bugged out on-stream when Roy tried to target something after the initial cast.

(This is sarcasm btw. ^) It should be fixed in the final release. But it won't be. But I also probably won't be playing the game by then because all of my fellow Warrior friends have quit by now. I'm always amazed at how ArenaNet manages to completely take for granted and squander the super positive passionate community that wants to like their game. Maybe they've all just been living in their "God as developers" bubbles for so long. But it's truly astonishing.

• Like 5

• 1 month later...

Late to the party (as i was on big GW2 break, let alone a warrior one) i really like what I see.
Staff delivers on many ends for the warrior which was needed, although not all is perfect, obviously.

THE GOOD:

• 600 range aoe pull is huge for a warrior. We needed a good pull.
  • as is the very nice amount of heals on it (burst, primal burst, skill 5)
  • prot for allies is exactly where it should be, given our only other source (soldier's comfort) is hard to control (reactive boon on proactive trigger)
  • leaps are great. A support weapon should have mobility go get us where we're needed pronto
  • as is the 20% boon duration bonus. Warriors in general are hurting for boon duration so very nice to get a freebie here.
  • the stunbreak and unblockable feature. Very much in line with warrior's identity of powerful offensive support and protecting teammates via intervention rather than prevention.

THE BAD:

• absolutely nothing in it for condi builds
  • bladesworn can't access burst and his dragon slashes cannot replace it's functionality (healing allies).

• 5 weeks later...

Why is warrior's 2nd staff skill Valiant Leap getting 5 adrenaline only if it hits an ally? That makes no sense... do allies rise warrior's adrenaline becasue they keep dying too often or what? What about make warrior count as an ally? 😉

Edited by cryorion.9532
  • Confused 1

• 2 weeks later...

With so much damage taken away now....... and so much healing pumping out and nothing like necro blood bank to really make use of the overheal on yourself.... It feels a bit of a waste. You can heal for a huge amount constantly but it really could use some barrier instead of regen. 

With that alleged loss of damage, I'm really not missing out on anything that could have been worthwhile to me.

It was fun using during the public bug testing, but if it does even less damage than other Warrior weapons, staying on Dagger/Dagger seems more enticing to me.

With every update they deliver, NOT paying for SotO feels more and more like the right decision to me.

• Like 1