"Fractal God" Title needs a female version.

Subli.8217

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@apharma.3741 said:Ask a Christian if god is male or female. You will likely get the answer of neither.Now present a picture of said God to the abovementioned Christian. If what was drawn was an old man with a beard, it's going to be okay (as it is the default and approved image). Show a picture of an old lady, and you will see the same person to voice their disagreement.

Still see no problem with this specific title, though.

I'm finding the argument that "God is neuter because Christianity says so" rather ridiculous, since every reference in the Bible calls God He, Him, and Father. People who call God 'she' to a Christian are generally assumed to be trying to be aggressively feminist.

But, then, I'm finding this whole hysterical reaction to a small suggestion ridiculous.

So should we also do the following?

Bounty Hunter = Bounty HuntressDungeon Master = Dungeon MistressGod of PvP = Goddess of PvPGod Walking Amongst Mere Mortals = Goddess Walking Amongst Mere MortalsHivemaster = HivemistressKeep Guard = Keep GuardswomanLegendary Demigod = Legendary DemigoddessThe Emperor = The EmpressKiller Queen = Killer King

What a pointless load of crock

@"Cragga the Eighty Third.6015" said:I'm finding the argument that "God is neuter because Christianity says so" rather ridiculous, since every reference in the Bible calls God He, Him, and Father. People who call God 'she' to a Christian are generally assumed to be trying to be aggressively feminist.

But, then, I'm finding this whole hysterical reaction to a small suggestion ridiculous.

that is what the sweds tought now lookas that country , the laughing stock of the continent

I’m a Christian, while God is supposedly unisex he’s referred to as masculine throughout scripture. This is further evidenced that Adam was created first, in his image. Eve, though she care second, was also said to be created in God’s image, hence the unisex claim. Biologically, God is described as male. See: Jesus. When it comes to personality, God can be feminine as well as masculine.

I was under the impression that feminism favoured using the gender-neutral title? The term actress can be offensive if used instead of actor. That said, the term god to me is male, especially when describing abrahamic religions... This is also present in GW lore where although we say the human gods (as you use the male terminology for a group) Lyssa is the goddess of illusion, etc.I don't really care for changing/providing gendered alternatives but a few more obviously female titles wouldn't hurt. Right now there is just Killer Queen.

However, I'd rather spend time complaining about the comparative lack of revealing male light armour if we're going to look into gender issues. (No I don't care about your scantily dressed mesmer in the slightest; I just want my own eye-candy with as much skin on display!)

There's a lot of emotions here I don't quite get. Probably because I live in a society where some things are not as heavily debated as in the US? Some topics the US have are kind of weird to me. Gender issue? We just allow gay marriage without rioting about it. Vaccination? It's not even a topic here, only a handful of sect members refuse to get their kids vaccinated. Social Justice Warriors? No European understands this insult without having to google it. Black Lives Matter? Sure, why not.

You guys make a big thing out of everything, and it appears to me that you bring your current controversial issues to this forum. This is simply about having male and female titles in an MMO, some people want to remember that while writing posts. I just checked the German, French and Spanish versions of the titles. If you have a female character, the titles are female. Makes totally sense to me, but I'm European, after all. I also don't carry any burden when it comes to "god" and faith.

One thing is certain, in Tyria, "god" is not a gender-neutral term like some people here have stated. It might be in a society where there exists only one transcendental god, and these societies even go so far to say that since there is only one god (a major doctrine), their god and the god of another society must be the same entity. Granted, that makes life a lot easier and peaceful if one of your doctrines says that there exists only one god. But let's not get into a discussion about religion here because that's not what this is about, and discussing religion always leads to a closed down thread.

In Tyria, gods and goddesses exist, and they are not transcendental, they are real persons for our characters. They are depicted with their gender when we visit them and talk with them. All the rules that count for a Christian god don't apply here. If you really want to make comparisons to real life, take the Greeks. The Greeks actually believed that their gods and goddesses are persons that live on a mountain, the Olymp. They were not some ideal or transcendent for them, they were real beings that can come down and interact with humans (and Zeus did that often enough in his special way). And there were always male and female versions of the Greek word "god". And even if you want to stay stuck at English, there is a word for the collective of gods and goddesses, it's deities. That's what you would use when talking about ancient Greek religion.

As I said before, it was probably just an oversight when the English titles were created. The same goes for female titles, like Killer Queen, why would I call my male Charr Killer Queen? I get it, it's an hommage to Freddy Mercury, and in that sense, "Killer King" makes no sense. However, not gonna use it for male characters :)

Why has everything got to be misogyny these days. There is a title, as someone else mentioned, which is "Killer Queen" I don't recall anyone kicking up a fuss and screaming misandry about there not being a "Killer King" title, it made me feel so left out and forgotten. Stop being spoilt, if you're going to jump on the misogyny bandwagon use your time and passion fighting for a worthwhile cause that actually matters, like Equal Pay. Also I'm sure that the word god IS gender neutral.

@Orimidu.9604 said:You misspelled your name, Sublimatia.

Also props to this genius, 10/10.

Oh and before you start waving your brand about, I am NOT a misogynist, I just abhor this nonsense.

@Woody.4628 said:a worthwhile cause that actually matters, like Equal Pay.

This has been law for 47 years, there is a difference in the median earnings between men and women for many reasons. Women retire earlier, go into work which is lower paid on average, take more time off on average, make up a lower % of the full time workforce (37% in the UK), usually will take a few years off to have children (which we should support but it will naturally stall careers), will work fewer hours on average, do not work outside as much, do not work as much in dangerous occupations...

It is illegal to pay someone less for the same work based on sex and has been for 47 years, the "Equal Pay" campaign is complaining about mathematical median differences which are theoretical numbers which do not represent any particular job just "the middle" of two pay distributions (and they know this, they just want votes and power).

@Coulter.2315 said:

@Woody.4628 said:a worthwhile cause that actually matters, like Equal Pay.

This has been law for 47 years, there is a difference in the median earnings between men and women for many reasons. Women retire earlier, go into work which is lower paid on average, take more time off on average, make up a lower % of the full time workforce (37% in the UK), usually will take a few years off to have children (which we should support but it will naturally stall careers), will work fewer hours on average, do not work outside as much, do not work as much in dangerous occupations...

It is illegal to pay someone less for the same work based on sex and has been for 47 years, the "Equal Pay" campaign is complaining about mathematical median differences which are theoretical numbers which do not represent any particular job just "the middle" of two pay distributions (and they know this, they just want votes and power).

Cant belive people still think there is not equal pay, if there were not companys who want to profit would kick all the males and hire females.

@Astralporing.1957 said:

@apharma.3741 said:Ask a Christian if god is male or female. You will likely get the answer of neither.Now present a picture of said God to the abovementioned Christian. If what was drawn was an old man with a beard, it's going to be okay (as it is the default and approved image). Show a picture of an old lady, and you will see the same person to voice their disagreement.

Still see no problem with this specific title, though.

Some will even destroy the image as they find it offensive while most will likely say neither, at least that’s how it works outside of America, I know religion can get rather warped in certain areas of the world. Like in some nations you can be arrested for having that picture comparison for being an idolater, heathen and probably a number of choice words.

Regardless the word God is not exclusively male to most people who can read a dictionary.

https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/god

Wow. Just wow.

You know what, not just wow. As a woman I have NO PROBLEM WHATSOEVER with the "Fractal God" title. When I eventually get it, I'll be rocking it. Granted, it's an ton easier to obtain, but what about the "Killer Queen" title? Should they have included a "Killer King" variant? No. It's a title. If you don't like it, don't use it.

In addition, many of us do see "god" as a neutral (ie- Human Gods include Dwayna, Lyssa, Melandru, and Kormir). At the very least it's "neutral enough". Similar to the daedric princes in The Elder Scrolls. A lot of the "daedric princes" are portrayed as female but are still called princes.

You are getting upset for no good reason. Pls stahp.

@Faaris.8013 said:There's a lot of emotions here I don't quite get. Probably because I live in a society where some things are not as heavily debated as in the US? Some topics the US have are kind of weird to me. Gender issue? We just allow gay marriage without rioting about it. Vaccination? It's not even a topic here, only a handful of sect members refuse to get their kids vaccinated. Social Justice Warriors? No European understands this insult without having to google it. Black Lives Matter? Sure, why not.

You guys make a big thing out of everything, and it appears to me that you bring your current controversial issues to this forum. This is simply about having male and female titles in an MMO, some people want to remember that while writing posts. I just checked the German, French and Spanish versions of the titles. If you have a female character, the titles are female. Makes totally sense to me, but I'm European, after all. I also don't carry any burden when it comes to "god" and faith.

One thing is certain, in Tyria, "god" is not a gender-neutral term like some people here have stated. It might be in a society where there exists only one transcendental god, and these societies even go so far to say that since there is only one god (a major doctrine), their god and the god of another society must be the same entity. Granted, that makes life a lot easier and peaceful if one of your doctrines says that there exists only one god. But let's not get into a discussion about religion here because that's not what this is about, and discussing religion always leads to a closed down thread.

In Tyria, gods and goddesses exist, and they are not transcendental, they are real persons for our characters. They are depicted with their gender when we visit them and talk with them. All the rules that count for a Christian god don't apply here. If you really want to make comparisons to real life, take the Greeks. The Greeks actually believed that their gods and goddesses are persons that live on a mountain, the Olymp. They were not some ideal or transcendent for them, they were real beings that can come down and interact with humans (and Zeus did that often enough in his special way). And there were always male and female versions of the Greek word "god". And even if you want to stay stuck at English, there is a word for the collective of gods and goddesses, it's deities. That's what you would use when talking about ancient Greek religion.

As I said before, it was probably just an oversight when the English titles were created. The same goes for female titles, like Killer Queen, why would I call my male Charr Killer Queen? I get it, it's an hommage to Freddy Mercury, and in that sense, "Killer King" makes no sense. However, not gonna use it for male characters :)

Technically when races in tyria talk about the six they refer to them as human gods not gods and godesses. But thats looking for straws anyways. I just find going through every title and changing it would take away dev time. Time that i feel theres more importand things to spend on, like new content.

• ArenaNet Staff

This thread has taken a few detours, and we'll close it now. What we need in situations like some of these posts is a REPORT and not a RETORT. If you see something that you feel is inappropriate, please report it so that moderators can review it and assess whether it's acceptable or is in breach of the Forums Code of Conduct. Like the game, we want the forums to be comfortable for everyone.

Archived