Kryptis lame

Tanuki.4603

Kryptis used reused Chak skeletons, they look very lame as monsters. The only cool ones reuse Deimos model. Convergences are reused wyverns.

I feel I've seen all those enemies before they just put a random skinwalker on top of the model.

They are so boring and uninspired.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 7

oh no, destroyers just use troll, crab, and harpy skeletons! How lame!

On no, chak just use crab and young karka skeletons! how lame!

oh no, mushrooms just use skritt skeletons! how lame!

Oh no, Stavemaster Arywn uses female norn skeleton! How lame!

Oh no, Drakkar just uses Aurene skeleton! How lame!

Oh no, Aurene just uses griffon skeleton! How lame!

Oh no, Eye of Zhaitan just uses wind rider skeleton! How lame!

Oh no, tengu just use charr skeleton! How lame!

Oh no, sylvari just use human skeleton! How lame!

Oh no, Gorseval just uses wyvern skeleton! How lame!

Oh no, Mordrem Teragriff just uses griffon skeleton! How lame!

Getting so fed up of these posts.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 8

I think people forget that, making whole new rigging and models is very time consuming and resource intensive.
I get people wanting to see "new" enemies, but that is basically not feasable.

The same people complain about reused assets, but still want MORE content. i don't work that way.

• Like 7
  • Confused 1

there should be new enemy skeleton for expansion tho, especially when it's a completely NEW enemy genre in AN EXPANSION

dragon minions made sense because they came from possessions of existing genres..

at least make it less obvious, like i wouldn't even notice if tengu used charr skeleton..

but kryptis..it's just like it's so obvious, they didn't even try...just add random unconnected limbs to fil the void

Edited by Lighter.5631
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2

2 hours ago, Lighter.5631 said:

there should be new enemy skeleton for expansion tho, especially when it's a completely NEW enemy genre in AN EXPANSION

dragon minions made sense because they came from possessions of existing genres..

at least make it less obvious, like i wouldn't even notice if tengu used charr skeleton..

but kryptis..it's just like it's so obvious, they didn't even try...just add random unconnected limbs to fil the void

Every added limb is part of the skeleton unless you want it flopping around and clipping into everything.

• Confused 2

Unsurprising after Dragonvoid were previous dragon minions wearing edgelord cosmetic infusions. Reusing assets is always a widespread thing in MMOs and perfectly fine but they have really outdone themselves since End of Dragons released with a lot of reuse and reskins. Of course, this is their modus operandi since the very beginning and they just perfected it into a science, as Konig points out.

All things considered, the OP is just not properly directing their discomfort but it's certainly valid in that the art direction could use some flourishing. Reusing costly models and rigs is perfectly fine but reusing them in clever and inventive ways is precisely what causes the comfortable uniqueness of Tengu and Charr and the uncanny similarity of Kryptis and their previous model incarnations. In fact devs even cop out of this apparently knowing they couldn't make Kryptis have a cleverly unique look by simply having Nayos be a dream realm where the dreams of other worlds pass by and shape/influence the denizens of Nayos ("see, this world is a reflection of sorts of course there are crabs in here! Carcinisation mindset!").

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

On 11/18/2023 at 11:56 AM, Tanuki.4603 said:

Kryptis used reused Chak skeletons, they look very lame as monsters. The only cool ones reuse Deimos model. Convergences are reused wyverns.

I feel I've seen all those enemies before they just put a random skinwalker on top of the model.

They are so boring and uninspired.

So like every season and expac has done. I'm not denying some new models would be nice or some tweaked to seem a little less obvious, but all long running games do this. It's not a new thing

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Kalavier.1097 said:

Every added limb is part of the skeleton unless you want it flopping around and clipping into everything.

To be fair I think they meant adding new joints to the skeleton, which can (and has) been done before.

Baby aurene uses the adolescent wyvern rigging, but it's modified to add extra limbs.

It's also what they did for Cerus, who uses Deimos' rigging - they added the two back limbs.

Edited by Konig Des Todes.2086
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Konig Des Todes.2086 said:

To be fair I think they meant adding new joints to the skeleton, which can (and has) been done before.

Baby aurene uses the adolescent wyvern rigging, but it's modified to add extra limbs.

It's also what they did for Cerus, who uses Deimos' rigging - they added the two back limbs.

Maybe, "Random unconnected limbs" Sounds more like just slapping on an arm without a care to me.

8 hours ago, Ashantara.8731 said:

Hey, they had time to create those super creepy new tengu models for EoD, though. 😄

Those new tengu were new models, but not new rigging though.

So it was less work than making all those kryptis models, since there are more new kryptis models than new tengu models, all to old rigging (except Cerus, which is modified, and Nourys which I think is fully new?).

Edited by Konig Des Todes.2086

My main issue with the Kryptis is not the reuse of skeletons, sure, new would be apreciated, but you have make some cuts if you want to release a livin... I mean expansion once per year). What makes them boring for me is that they all look the same. Same color pattern, same undefinable mass of spikes. Sure, all destroyers look alike in that sense too. Same with Icebrood, Risen, Mordrem etc. But in this "expansion" we only and exclusively fight Kryptis and they don't have much variety in their ranks either, it's like 7 or so different types of them over and over again. Maybe that's the difference to Mordrem, a type of enemy we fight all throughout HoT, yet I'm not bored of them even after years. Whereas I wass bored by the Kryptis three weeks after release. I don't know.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 1

On 11/18/2023 at 12:27 PM, Konig Des Todes.2086 said:

oh no, destroyers just use troll, crab, and harpy skeletons! How lame!

On no, chak just use crab and young karka skeletons! how lame!

oh no, mushrooms just use skritt skeletons! how lame!

Oh no, Stavemaster Arywn uses female norn skeleton! How lame!

Oh no, Drakkar just uses Aurene skeleton! How lame!

Oh no, Aurene just uses griffon skeleton! How lame!

Oh no, Eye of Zhaitan just uses wind rider skeleton! How lame!

Oh no, tengu just use charr skeleton! How lame!

Oh no, sylvari just use human skeleton! How lame!

Oh no, Gorseval just uses wyvern skeleton! How lame!

Oh no, Mordrem Teragriff just uses griffon skeleton! How lame!

Getting so fed up of these posts.

I would be willing to guess 90+% of players don't even recognize half or more of these though, especially on a first playthrough (I certainly did not and I've been playing since launch), which is what makes them so much more creative than what we've been getting since EoD. Since the Dragonvoid, almost all of the main mini-expac enemies have been blatant reskins that anyone can tell from just glancing at them. Makes the game feel cheaper/lower quality when, as you've pointed out, Anet's shown they can do much, much better at creatively reusing skeletons/models.

Edited by Poormany.4507

21 minutes ago, Poormany.4507 said:

I would be willing to guess 90+% of players don't even recognize half or more of these though, especially on a first playthrough (I certainly did not and I've been playing since launch), which is what makes them so much more creative than what we've been getting since EoD. Since the Dragonvoid, almost all of the main mini-expac enemies have been blatant reskins that anyone can tell from just glancing at them. Makes the game feel cheaper/lower quality when, as you've pointed out, Anet's shown they can do much, much better at creatively reusing skeletons/models.

I feel this statement hits less when you include the facet of "The singular expansion release since EoD"

It's not like it's a big reaccuring trend.

• Like 1

On 11/18/2023 at 12:00 PM, Kinurak.5307 said:

I think people forget that, making whole new rigging and models is very time consuming and resource intensive.
I get people wanting to see "new" enemies, but that is basically not feasable.

The same people complain about reused assets, but still want MORE content. i don't work that way.

Ultimately, if the product is not appealing players will lose interest and be less likely to spend time and money.  Higher quality and quantity of content may be unlikely, given the apparent lack of resources at ANet.  Players aren't obligated to care about that.  They'll feel how they feel about it.  All the developers can do is use the resources they have to best ensure that the product appeals to the players.

I don't blame players for wanting more.  We used to get more and better content.  Is it reasonable to expect that forever?  Of course not.  But acknowledging that doesn't change how I feel about the product. 

• Thanks 1

On 11/26/2023 at 5:37 PM, Poormany.4507 said:

The hilarity is that they didn't do anything special with those others.

The main difference between what they did then and what they did now is that the rigging is slightly more common now.