Crash to desktop after selecting character (ArcDPS)

This was caused by this afternoon's patch, the game was running normally earlier today.

As soon as I choose any character and attempt to enter the game, the loading screen for their location comes up for a second or two, then the game crashes to desktop.

There is no error message, nothing anomalous appears. The zone loading screen is there, and then it isn't.

There's no hung processes in the task manager, no errors in the system logs, the game just vanishes from memory as if it had never been launched at all.

I attempted to create a BETA character and experienced this for the first time. Now I cannot load into the game with any character.

The game is literally broken for me.

Edited by Teknomancer.4895
Removed ArcDPS, issue fixed. Not reinstalling it either.

• Teknomancer.4895 changed the title to Crash to desktop after selecting character (ArcDPS)

arcdps: gw2 dps meter (and general combat metrics tool)
 WARNING: MODIFYING GUILD WARS 2 THROUGH ANY 3RD PARTY TOOLS IS NOT SUPPORTED BY ARENANET OR NCSOFT.
 DO NOT CONTACT SUPPORT ABOUT GAME CLIENT ISSUES WHILE USING THIS TOOL. THERE IS NO HELP OR WARRANTY.
 THIS IS ENTIRELY AT YOUR OWN RISK AND YOU ASSUME ALL RESPONSIBILITY.  

• Sad 1

23 minutes ago, wenhao.3691 said:

arcdps: gw2 dps meter (and general combat metrics tool)
 WARNING: MODIFYING GUILD WARS 2 THROUGH ANY 3RD PARTY TOOLS IS NOT SUPPORTED BY ARENANET OR NCSOFT.
 DO NOT CONTACT SUPPORT ABOUT GAME CLIENT ISSUES WHILE USING THIS TOOL. THERE IS NO HELP OR WARRANTY.
 THIS IS ENTIRELY AT YOUR OWN RISK AND YOU ASSUME ALL RESPONSIBILITY.  

while correct, for many of us the game is not playable without arcdps. it would not be massively difficult for anet to modify GW2 to prevent binary incompatibility with arcdps with every update.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2

1 hour ago, scerevisiae.1972 said:

while correct, for many of us the game is not playable without arcdps. it would not be massively difficult for anet to modify GW2 to prevent binary incompatibility with arcdps with every update.

Not sure what you're trying to argue for here.

I initially thought it was the game itself since it happened immediately after the patch installed, but then I killed Arc and whaddayaknow, the game loaded fine. That's when I edited the thread title to flag Arc as the culprit. That way support would know it wasn't their issue and other players might see it and benefit too.