Target decision making with ranks

kiwituatara.6053

Target decision making with ranks  

49 members have voted

1. 1. Say you're roaming and you engage two enemies running same the same class with the same food. Do you target the Diamond rank first or the Bronze rank? And Why?

• Target the Diamond rank first
    • Target the Bronze rank first
    • I don't care, I just target randomly

rank does not matter much.
more important is how they are moving before or at the start of the engage and assumptions/deductions based on that:

• are they playing together or just happened to run into you at the same time? if they are playing together is one of them leading the other?
  • do they both appear attentive and interested in winning the fight or does one seem like they are mostly distracted by their second screen, playing with half a hand?
  • does their movement and skill usage suggest they have been here before?
  • finally is the strength of the build more in the pressure it applies or the sustain it has compared to yours? if it is high pressure, focus the bigger threat first and if it is high sustain focus the easier kill first.

• Like 2

This one is kind of funny as overtime I have seen more people try and hide behind objects after we had the change to allow for smaller name plates. You can tell the people that use the shorter nameplate via three tells. One they never use the server name in reporting, two when you use the server name they have to ask but what color. Three they think they can hide behind a tree/column/hallway edge and not be seen.

• Confused 1

12 hours ago, Famine.7915 said:

Diamond rank is a pve achievement since most who have it just pve farmed eotm when that was possible. Best to just know who you're fighting and decide based on that.

2 hours ago, Arianth Moonlight.6453 said:

99.99% of Diamond Legends got the title for free when EotM granted ranks every 5 seconds or so. So, no, I just target whoever is close to me.

This was true years ago when EotM was played but only those who played at least 12 hours per day karma training in EotM reached diamond rank.  Ranks were never handed out like candy and casual players would be no where near diamond rank.  But this seems like it now an old wives tale on these forums.  There has been plenty of time to reach diamond rank through WvW.

I think the best way to compare EotM playtime vs WvW playtime is to compare supply generator to supply camp captures.  Here are my stats (at the time of this post) for these:

23001 Supply Camps

386 Supply Generator

So I have spent 23001/(23001 + 386) = 98.35% of time time in WvW.  Now if you look at Gw2Mists you will find there are many other players with rank and supply camp captures that are similar to mine who have ranked up in WvW.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Arianth Moonlight.6453 said:

I've been playing WvW non-stop for the last 2 years to finish my legendary gear and consider that I play way too much. In those 2 years, I went from +2k to +4k ranks

I also averaged 1000 ranks per year but I have been playing WvW as my main game mode since the release of the game.

• Like 1

I jump on the human. Human mains are always edgelords with bad mechanics. The charrs and sylvaris are always mechanical gigachads that induce fear in everyone around them. Norns and Asuras... Well, haven't met roamer playing those yet. And I won't touch them either.

Edited by Riba.3271
  • Haha 2

When I'm with a zerg and the tag is in Discord, we'll often call out to target diamond players down immediately when we see them just for the meme of it. It's hilarious to see an entire zerg turn away from the majority of the blob to absolutely dog pile this one poor guy just for his rank.

Outside of that, you should target based on the skill of your opponent and the metrics of the build/class they're running. Focus on dealing with the greater threat regardless of rank.

• Thanks 1

Ranks…

Hmm.

I don’t even look at ranks because the “threat” is being distracted by numbers ie I target what I can identify as the weakest to try and cut them down in size. Targeting the “strongest” ie high rank is laughable - regardless of skill, fighting a near immortal ele for 5 minutes is pointless while a ranger just stand there and freely pewpew you in the meantime with no care in the world. Because you won’t stand a chance with that extra damage. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Arianth Moonlight.6453 said:

I've been playing WvW non-stop for the last 2 years to finish my legendary gear and consider that I play way too much. In those 2 years, I went from +2k to +4k ranks.

Yes, and WvW is far older than 2 years. The EotM farm is even older than 5-6 years ago. Turns out, quite a few players hit 10k since then.

This old wives tale hasn't been applicable for quite some time now (and just smells of envy).

FYI, I hit 10k a few weeks back after around 5 years of WvW without ever doing any EotM farm, and usually sticking to 10-12 hours per week of WvW. Any player that farmed WvW for 12 hours per day NOW, would hit 10k far faster than EotM. 

As to the opening question:

Movement > Server > Rank

Edited by Cyninja.2954
  • Haha 1

Eh,  I barely pay attention to rank since someone could PvP 5yrs straight and still be bronze. While a diamond could just be a farmer that did the bare minimum to fast-track their rank

In small-scale I always prioritize whomever spitting out the most boons so I can strip & cc lock them.  Vs zergs however I usually prioritize the glass ranged players,  then lock down the supports.

Though in close quarters like inner hills and smc I'm a lot more indiscriminate since my niche is usually suppressing corridors and choke points. 

Edited by cyberzombie.7348

Lower rank people are usually very scary. It's where the nasty surprises come from. You either have someone who's joining the game late or you have someone who plays this game not for the zerg  and probably sleeps soundly, breathes, and eats his lunch inside the pvp room. I know a lot of the latter. 

Edited by godofcows.2451

1 hour ago, Arianth Moonlight.6453 said:

oh yeah, so envious of those blob-guilds full of diamonds chasing me because I keep killing them...

cool story, bro.

Ah, so now it's not only the EotM farmers from the far past.

See, was it this hard to be honest?

Edited by Cyninja.2954
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

Rank doesn't really play into any decision making in fights, based solely on rank. You may not know the username of the account(s) you are facing, but after a while you just start to know who (for lack of a better word) people are.  Come across a duo as a solo and think, oh it's these 2 again from XX guild, even when they change tags.  You have probably faced them numerous times, and already know if you can down 1 or both, and how quickly.  Or, you just know you can melt the one and have to walk away because there is 0 chance to to secure the kill based on your build and what the other 2 are running.  The classes they are running is probably far more important than anything else you could know to start the fight.

2 hours ago, godofcows.2451 said:

Lower rank people are usually very scary. It's where the nasty surprises come from. You either have someone who's joining the game late or you have someone who plays this game not for the zerg  and probably sleeps soundly, breathes, and eats his lunch inside the pvp room. I know a lot of the latter. 

This is honestly the most fun of playing alt accounts.  Can't tell you how many times I've had people just assume my no rank to silver alts are just free kills.  Get a lot of good laughs from some of those fights.