The tower of nightmare in LWS1 is stupid and neeeds to be fixed asap.

hackedraptor.3210

They either need to tone it done so people don't have to luck out by finding a random group or improve the rewards for public instance so veteran players have an incentive to run it and thus help out the people that need to complete the story.

And for the people that tell others to just get gear or change classes or whatever.... please, it's totally unreasonable to require a particular type of gear for just one instance of an episode in the whole story.

Who knows how many aspiring players were driven away by this horrible obstacle which is zero fun without a decent group which is very rare these days.

Finally, I have no complain about the tower and its inherent design itself, it just shouldn't be placed as an obstacle in a story like that.

A very easy and simple fix would be to allow players to run a private squad for the story too. I'm not saying that's the exact fix Anet should implement, just showing how easy it is to fix this issue for good.

• Like 4
  • Confused 3

14 minutes ago, hackedraptor.3210 said:

going to that link...I have to ask what the heck does the tower have to do with eye of the north?? its in a completely different part of the map.

it is because the twisted marionette fight is entered from eye of the north and it is on the same timer cycle.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, hackedraptor.3210 said:

They either need to tone it done so people don't have to luck out by finding a random group or improve the rewards for public instance so veteran players have an incentive to run it and thus help out the people that need to complete the story.

And for the people that tell others to just get gear or change classes or whatever.... please, it's totally unreasonable to require a particular type of gear for just one instance of an episode in the whole story.

Who knows how many aspiring players were driven away by this horrible obstacle which is zero fun without a decent group which is very rare these days.

Finally, I have no complain about the tower and its inherent design itself, it just shouldn't be placed as an obstacle in a story like that.

A very easy and simple fix would be to allow players to run a private squad for the story too. I'm not saying that's the exact fix Anet should implement, just showing how easy it is to fix this issue for good.

You CAN run a Private Squad for it, but the mission itself locks out after your group pushes past a certain point, which presents the same problem in Public or Private lobbies, that late ppl cant join.
That means anyone who normally played thru story and arrived at Kessex Hills, is 90% guaranteed to open a fresh map that has nobody else in it at all.

Some good veteran players can indeed solo ToN, but ye for new players it is extremely unfair and annoying.
Tower of Nightmares deserves nerfs AND adjustments.

• Like 4

I don't want to spread wrong information, but I remember (at least on release) that in order to progress with the story, you had to join a public instance, not private. You could just complete events or donating seeds until the green bar is filled, so no need to clear the third floor, but it had to be public. Idk if it's different now.

I watched few videos of new players and most of them didn't realize how the green bar works. Usually when you enter an instance for the first time, you try to complete it, not to skip it using quest items/seeds. We all saw this coming, when the tower was released with the new LW1. It is indeed not friendly for new players, especially considering that they do it after Zhaitan; the step in difficulty is quite high.

Edited by Urud.4925
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Urud.4925 said:

I don't want to spread wrong information, but I remember (at least on release) that in order to progress with the story, you had to join a public instance, not private. You could just complete events or donating seeds until the green bar is filled, so no need to clear the third floor, but it had to be public. Idk if it's different now.

I watched few videos of new players and most of them didn't realize how the green bar works. Usually when you enter an instance for the first time, you try to complete it, not to skip it using quest items/seeds. We all saw this coming, when the tower was released with the new LW1. It is indeed not friendly for new players, especially considering that they do it after Zhaitan; the step in difficulty is quite high.

You can do Events in either, AND don't have to finish either instance, as the green bar will move enough just by doing events prior to floor 3.
The bonus for ToN, is that unlike BfLA, you don't lose green bar when you map change, so somebody can keep going in and out of ToN public and complete the story by spamming the literal first event on the 1st floor.
Again, these tricks are something new players are extremely unlikely to notice, so ToN still needs to be adjusted.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Finished the  story of Tower just yesterday. As I understand, I didn't explore the whole dungeon, but the progress bar for story was filled with the first level and a little bit of the second. Enough to prompt the next step in Heart solo instance. It was hard to impossible to do solo, but soon two other beginners came around, we formed party for convenience sake and finished story chapter. It took less time than I spent sitting at the entrance trying to form group in LFG. I guess new player are not introduced well enough to LFG function. 

It's alright for MMO to push people for group content - it the cornerstone of MMO genre.

I think the tools to form party need more spotlight and explanation, or some update to let people just register for activity and the game will gather party for them.