Achievement Points for Casual

betogux.8739

Hello Everyone,

I am relatively new to playing the game, I have had it for a while but recently gotten into it more. Quick question on Achievement Points. Are achievement points required to earning Mastery Points? I am more of a casual player and redoing chapters and doing jumping puzzles that will require me grinding for a mastery point is a bit too much. Will just focusing on the story and expansions allow me to earn Mastery Points also? Which other events am I able to do to earn them?

5 minutes ago, betogux.8739 said:

Hello Everyone,

I am relatively new to playing the game, I have had it for a while but recently gotten into it more. Quick question on Achievement Points. Are achievement points required to earning Mastery Points? I am more of a casual player and redoing chapters and doing jumping puzzles that will require me grinding for a mastery point is a bit too much. Will just focusing on the story and expansions allow me to earn Mastery Points also? Which other events am I able to do to earn them?

No, you don't need achievment points to acquire mastery points, but you will need achievments, as every masterpoint (except one) is also part of an achievment. Some of the can be acpuired by just finishing the stories, some by completing special task, some can be found around the maps, etc. You can find all of them in the hero menu in the achievment tab, the are marked with the mastery-symbol  of the associated expansion.

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

You will need 530 mastery points to complete all current masteries, out of 686 available mastery points... So there are plenty of extra Mastery point opportunities vs Mastery points required to complete all masteries.  

Central Tyria - 49 / 83

Heart of Thrones - 144 / 198

Path of Fire - 110 / 130

Icebrood Saga - 63 / 76

End of Dragons - 89 / 115

Secret of Obscure - 75 / 84

You can cross reference these two lists for available mastery points in order to plan what you can optimally do to complete each mastery, based on your playstyle, and avoid some of the more cumbersome achievement related points:

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Mastery

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Mastery_point_unlocks

Best of luck!

• Like 2

Since the Mastery link is just above, I'll also add these two:

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Achievement

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Hero_point (These are used for training your character's specializations, don't confuse them with the other kind of points.)

Keeping it straight what the difference is between Achievements, Masteries and Hero Points will get you a long way. 🙂

• Like 2

Got some excellent points here. I will say as a fellow casual you'll still want achievement points. Not only do they actually give you stuff (gold find, karma find, and skins) but the achievements themselves have rewards in them (masteries but also Ascended weapons!). Don't be afraid of the system. It's a bit bulky but I find it one of the more satisfying systems in MMOs because the AP does something. 

Things in this game just take time. Doesn't matter how fast you get there. Once you have that mastery, mount, legendary, or whatever it's there for good and is account wide so all your characters get to use it. So don't be afraid of stuff or think I'll never get there. It's all doable even casually. And the community is great, you ever need help getting something someone will always come along if asked! Don't forget "/wiki" command as well works in game. You can search up any object, achievement, place you need right from in the game!

Something I didn't see mentioned, there is a little gear next to the search bar in the achievements tab. You can use that to filter by what mastery points you are going after and it will show you all of that type. I.E Red for Core, Green for Heart of Thorns, ect. 

Good luck friend. Feel free to mail me in game if you need anything more and I'll gladly help when I am on.

• Like 2