Current state of the game since 2020

TheBravery.9615

I'm an old time player that's been around since the 2012 launch, but left the game in 2020 because I was disappointed with the general direction of the game, neglect for WvW, and awful balance design choices by the "balance" team.

I just wanted to check up on this game since it appears to have some sale and two new expansions have since released since i've been gone. Have things improved? Is it worth reinstalling to give it another try?

I primarily solo roam on WvW in Maguuma, occasional GvG. I hate 'karma trains' (mindlessly blobbing to cap objectives), and always prefer to defend objectives to find players to fight. I don't care for the game's PvE, i find it boring. Primarily mains warrior.

• Like 2

I'm a solo roamer too, ele main (weaver) and too be honest, there is very few warriors still roaming. I barely played that class so I cant say whats wrong with the class. Cant really expect anet to listen to our complains or to balance things right so I suggest that you pick another class. Willbenders (WB) are strong at melee fights and looks really fun with their great mobility. Sword/dagger weaver is another good melee choice but WB seems a bit stronger and certainly a more popular choice.

I stopped being active years ago as well, and would come back to check the game out then leave again. I came back a few months ago and decided to just find fun wherever I can in WvW, as I was really missing it. I think, first, I got to the point where I stopped expecting much out of Anet. Then I just went on to do what I've always found enjoyable, which is also solo or small group roaming and defending objectives. I've been having fun and haven't stopped playing for a few months now, which is the longest I've played since I stopped being active in 2017.

So I'm not sure if this is helpful, and sorry if it isn't. I guess in a way, things haven't really changed in the general scope of things. There's still a lot of the issues we've been having for awhile now, but I can at least appreciate some of the communication from Anet's end. And there's still fun to be had in terms of roaming and defending (though the latter can really depend on your server/match-up and I'm not sure how Mag is when it comes to that stuff. I know for me, an issue I had was that people didn't care much about defending and I definitely can't defend by myself against 20. It's one of the things that made me log off but I'm glad that my server and our match-ups have been responsive in that regard).

In terms of class, I don't play warrior but my personal experience is that I still see them a lot while roaming, though definitely not as much as I used to years ago. They're not as scary as before either, but I also still go against warriors (zerkers and bladesworns mostly) that could definitely kick my kitten just as well as willbenders can. Just probably tougher to pull off in comparison.

5 hours ago, TheBravery.9615 said:

Primarily mains warrior.

We play the same music here. Of course it's worth it. Of course you can have fun, in fact you ''have to'' just have fun. Compared to when you left, now they have implemented the change of your constructions (armor, accessories, stats and weapons) in a few seconds with 2 clicks. You just have to build your warrior in several different ways, and change it according to different situations. I use 5 one condition, one with rifle, one full cc, one hybrid ( perfect for opportunistic thieves ) and a tank, but a tank quite a bit.

Always happy to see a player come back, and have fun.😉

3 hours ago, manu.7539 said:

I'm a solo roamer too, ele main (weaver) and too be honest, there is very few warriors still roaming. I barely played that class so I cant say whats wrong with the class. Cant really expect anet to listen to our complains or to balance things right so I suggest that you pick another class. Willbenders (WB) are strong at melee fights and looks really fun with their great mobility. Sword/dagger weaver is another good melee choice but WB seems a bit stronger and certainly a more popular choice.

As War roamer, I think your mileage may vary. Encounter quite a few while roaming on one. I would say right now you will find the widest range of roamers since 2020. I would be hard pressed to name a class/elite that I haven't seen out solo. Scourge maybe the rarest but ran into 3 yesterday so not sure I could even say that. As far as War, if I was to rank which ones I see roaming most the order would SB, Ber, Core, BS. But again mileage will vary server to server.

5 hours ago, TheBravery.9615 said:

I'm an old time player that's been around since the 2012 launch, but left the game in 2020 because I was disappointed with the general direction of the game, neglect for WvW, and awful balance design choices by the "balance" team.

I just wanted to check up on this game since it appears to have some sale and two new expansions have since released since i've been gone. Have things improved? Is it worth reinstalling to give it another try?

I primarily solo roam on WvW in Maguuma, occasional GvG. I hate 'karma trains' (mindlessly blobbing to cap objectives), and always prefer to defend objectives to find players to fight. I don't care for the game's PvE, i find it boring. Primarily mains warrior.

Mags been in T1 since about then so you will have a target rich environment but will leave that to other Mag players to talk about.

Did you leave before or after the Feb 2020 Nerf bat patch? If after they have every so slowly been still adjusting for the nerfs, we aren't playing with noodles everywhere but as predicted people complain now about defensive armor sets as was predicted with the patch. As far as new classes and elites, again seeing a wide range while roaming and not just new elites. 

Defending, this again is server by server, we now have defense events but again how much that encourage players is by server. 

As far as new, Anet has been working on a World Restructuring project that will basically remove all our servers and create new world every 'x' time frame to balance population. A beta for this is coming up running from Jan 12 - Feb 2. The initial target is every 4 weeks but then potentially move to 8 weeks like has been being done with server linking. There was a sub-feature of this called Alliances which would allow people and guilds to form up a larger group for this but that was delayed as they worked thru it. There alternate idea is to encourage players to form up in Community guilds which will do something relatively close to the thing. Based on prior posts I want to say Mag has at least one of these if not more. 

We also have some partially released changes such as more events like the defense events. Their stated goal was to encourage more fights centered around objectives for both attackers and defenders. The defense is live but some of the other are currently in a TBA status.

If you have multiple toons we now have a Legendary Armory. So if you have any Legendary armor or weapons they are account wide and you can equip the same ones across all toons that can use those same items. So its even easier to have multiple toons and not worry about gearing them out. One and done.  

If you want to see what current buildouts may be out there are still the various build sites that have builds listed. I like theory crafting so if you want to see what the new elites and such look like I would recommend gw2skills.net which has a Build Editor that you can set to WvW mode. Which I mention since they have been doing more and more skill splits where there are PvE, WvW & sPvP versions of more skills then in 2020.

Worst case scenarios since you don't have to have the new expansions to play WvW, is it worth installing to try it? If you don't have to pay for downloads due to a metered internet connection then the answer is yes since its free and just requires download time. 

Hope that helps.

9 hours ago, TheBravery.9615 said:

I will cur to the chase. The only thing that changed is everything got worse.

I'm sure that's nothing new with you.

As for where the direction of the game is going...that shouldn't be new to you either.

With the introduction of Guardian Profession -Willbender Profession designed to surpass and to out play Warrior Profession, Ranger Profession, Elementalist Profession and the most Toxic Profession-Thief Profession roles...should be extremely alarming to newcomers, current players including potential players to walk away, stay far away from the game.

Adding Willbender Profession to the game secured Guild Wars 2 being the most Toxic Gaming Experience Game in the industry to be avoided at all cost 

Edited by Burnfall.9573
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 3