Boon Strips and Kill Tagging

Pie.2167

According to the wiki, removing boons from enemies is not taken into account when calculating participation.   Many skills that remove boons do little to no damage (i.e. Null Field, Winds of Disenchantment) or are proc'd by CC skills (i.e. Superior Sigil of Absorption, Vicious Expression, Gravity Well) which also do very little damage.   It would be nice if the support players whose role is to boon rip would have the potential to get as many bags as DPS and healers in a squad.  

The ways in which you can "participate" does seem wrongheaded, since it doesn't really give players any incentive to do anything beyond DPS.

The bit about "Players performing a squad support role can be marked by the commander to receive shared participation so that they do not have to focus on dealing damage to be credited." is apparently a joke.

That might work for organized groups, but from what I've seen WvW is many things and organized isn't typically one of them. 😜

• Like 2

If you can stagger out some kind of residual spread, you should be good. A few pierce, cleave, bounce, etc during a fight or even just secondary modifiers or flak from the skills you're using will probably fill you up. 

Build for clutch boon rip and Control maybe. A lot of your sustained effort or opportunities you open up for everyone to jump on won't be jumped on. If you can open up someone who's body language says they're an all-star on their team and keeping up their composition at a key moment, you'll probably accomplish about the same outcome, but you'll also get to add your damage and stacks as pressure. 

6 hours ago, Dawdler.8521 said:

There is “boonrip” only support role? Applying boons/heals to allies lowers the tagging HP limit to almost nothing ie AoE builds get tags for lightly farting in the enemy direction.

Yes. There are support Chronomancer builds that neither do DPS or heals.  They strictly provide utility, CC, and boonrip.  With the changes to Chaos line and boon sharing, it's less of an issue, but the typical build looks something like this: https://metabattle.com/wiki/Build:Chronomancer_-_Support_Chronomancer

Edited by Pie.2167
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Pie.2167 said:

Yes. There are support Chronomancer builds that neither do DPS or heals.  They strictly provide utility, CC, and boonrip.  With the changes to Chaos line and boon sharing, it's less of an issue, but the typical build looks something like this: https://metabattle.com/wiki/Build:Chronomancer_-_Support_Chronomancer

Looks like a boon chrono to me 🤷‍♂️

It applies a fair bit of AoE boons to the squad last I checked.

You dont need much dps to tag with that, such builds can do like a couple hundred damage to tag an enemy your booned up allies kill. If your build cant even do that well then it deserve no bags anyway so all good I suppose. Pros and cons and all that. I mean you could do something as simple as swap to dagger instead of sword and hope to pewpew foes if the enemy zerg isnt all juiced up on reflects. Not like flailing that sword at nothing would be any better.

9 hours ago, Dawdler.8521 said:

I mean you could do something as simple as swap to dagger instead of sword and hope to pewpew foes if the enemy zerg isnt all juiced up on reflects. Not like flailing that sword at nothing would be any better.

Actually you want to keep the sword because it provides more boon generation. But tbh I run a similar build on my chrono and still do enough damage here and there to get plenty of credit for kills.

4 hours ago, Ronin.4501 said:

Actually you want to keep the sword because it provides more boon generation. But tbh I run a similar build on my chrono and still do enough damage here and there to get plenty of credit for kills.

Dagger would be generating random boons every other second though since the autoattack is a 20% projectile finisher, but granted I suppose skill 3 could have some more controlled use.