is there anything specific you need to do to end up on one of those servers that have double the power of the other 2?

The experience from the several past rounds of wvw is quite similar - one server has about twice the power as the other 2 in prime time, otherwise they are "simply top" - as in they don't camp every single checkpoint killing everyone they see and it's possible to do at least something.

But I'm really curious how the population of those "prime" servers is decided and what do you need to do to end up on on of them.

• Like 6
  • Confused 2

10 hours ago, Jirian.7512 said:

The experience from the several past rounds of wvw is quite similar - one server has about twice the power as the other 2 in prime time, otherwise they are "simply top" - as in they don't camp every single checkpoint killing everyone they see and it's possible to do at least something.

But I'm really curious how the population of those "prime" servers is decided and what do you need to do to end up on on of them.

Because  Alliance UI is not available yet.
Because players already form their onw alliance by creating an alliance guild. 
Pay attention to the guild names. Join those guild.

Edited by SweetPotato.7456
  • Confused 3

What is “twice the power”?

More/better players? Your side probably have about as many, they’re just horribly ineffective at being where they are supposed to be.

More/better commanders? Even a single good commander on one side can make a difference, you can’t expect them to clone themselves to all sides which is why encouraging all commanders even pug not in voice is important.

More/better guilds? Just like commanders they are a finite resource but it’s up to players to expand and make them stronger.

• Like 1
  • Confused 3

47 minutes ago, Dawdler.8521 said:

More/better players? Your side probably have about as many, they’re just horribly ineffective at being where they are supposed to be.

and you think it's OK to match a very efficient group with "horribly inefficient" one and it's supposed to make a good playing exprience for either of them? Also, considering the enemy zergs are generally noticeably bigger in sheer numbers, and they still have people to camp the small checkpoints while we have queues, I'm not entirely convinced the problem isn't with number mismatch to start with.

or you believe that I (or any other person at my server) can suddenly take those 50+ people and magically make them "more efficient"?

I've seen a number of same commanders who I normally play with in true wvw and somehow they manage to be good there but are failing quite miserably now. Right, must be them losing the skill due to the beta.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Jirian.7512 said:

and you think it's OK to match a very efficient group with "horribly inefficient" one and it's supposed to make a good playing exprience for either of them? Also, considering the enemy zergs are generally noticeably bigger in sheer numbers, and they still have people to camp the small checkpoints while we have queues, I'm not entirely convinced the problem isn't with number mismatch to start with.

or you believe that I (or any other person at my server) can suddenly take those 50+ people and magically make them "more efficient"?

I've seen a number of same commanders who I normally play with in true wvw and somehow they manage to be good there but are failing quite miserably now. Right, must be them losing the skill due to the beta.

That’s what can happen, yes. WR only try to average out the population of teams. Even on full maps and all three sides “even” with 50 man zergs, one of them can dominate. Especially if another side is particularly weak and the third is caught in the middle. One loss can mean people give up and leave, snowballing it.

We see that every week in WvW, all year round. Few moments are really balanced.

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 5

1 hour ago, Dawdler.8521 said:

One loss can mean people give up and leave, snowballing it.

There hasn't been a single loss in WVW in so many years, which has taken me away from the game mode. On the contrary, they have always had the opposite effect on me. being stimulated to do better or do it differently because your server deserves all the blood that needs to be spilled (metaphor). And with a bit of bitterness I have to tell you instead that this latest beta is actually taking me away from the mode.

And I'll tell you more, you don't even need defeat in this beta, because a lot of people like to go where the enemy isn't there, you make a call to your home boundary and no one shows up (or almost) you don't even have to die, because clearly you can't even try when you're 10 vs 50+. I just see your border reset without doing anything. So log out and so on. Never seen WVW like this.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mabi black.1824 said:

There hasn't been a single loss in WVW in so many years, which has taken me away from the game mode.

Come to NA and experience firsthand a match against Maguuma to see all the little mice scurry under the rugs. Mice like to go after the cheese when no one is around.

• Confused 1

33 minutes ago, Chaba.5410 said:

Come to NA and experience firsthand a match against Maguuma to see all the little mice scurry under the rugs. Mice like to go after the cheese when no one is around.

hey I'd be really curious to try it. But you know what the point is. I would have to bear the whole desolation to be able to do that. Because you see what I'm willing to do, the content I'm willing to put in, the blood I'm willing to spill (metaphor again) is only related to my team/server. After all, it is the one that provides for the same modality. 

For the time being

Edited by Mabi black.1824

2 hours ago, Mabi black.1824 said:

There hasn't been a single loss in WVW in so many years, which has taken me away from the game mode. On the contrary, they have always had the opposite effect on me. being stimulated to do better or do it differently because your server deserves all the blood that needs to be spilled (metaphor). And with a bit of bitterness I have to tell you instead that this latest beta is actually taking me away from the mode.

And I'll tell you more, you don't even need defeat in this beta, because a lot of people like to go where the enemy isn't there, you make a call to your home boundary and no one shows up (or almost) you don't even have to die, because clearly you can't even try when you're 10 vs 50+. I just see your border reset without doing anything. So log out and so on. Never seen WVW like this.

Overall WvW behaviour follow the masses, not you. 

If you have never seen worlds giving up - both yours and the enemy - I dont know what WvW you've been playing.

On the extreme side, couple of months of ago we lost the link. Below +20 PPT every time one logged one. Maybe reached +50 PPT in prime. Guess how motived everyone was to fight when EBG was outnumbered in prime and spawncamped.

5 minutes ago, Dawdler.8521 said:

Overall WvW behaviour follow the masses, not you. 

If you have never seen worlds giving up - both yours and the enemy - I dont know what WvW you've been playing.

On the extreme side, couple of months of ago we lost the link. Below +20 PPT every time one logged one. Maybe reached +50 PPT in prime. Guess how motived everyone was to fight when EBG was outnumbered in prime and spawncamped.

I've played games so broken, you can't even consider the EBG map. You're so outnumbered that you don't even have enough to defend your border worthily. Yet you are still there to defend what you can and how you can. Because, let's go back to the starting point, motivation/purpose. This structure is built with reference to a team/server. And when you've found it, and it's become your server, you're willing to put your content even when you're doomed to defeat. That's exactly what we're talking about when I tell you what WVW has always been and what it risks losing when you take it towards restructuring.