Do "Greater Call of The Mists" More Often So The Population is Higher

66% afk rate in my matches so far, one a guy clearly new to pvp got exploded and half a second and afk'd for the rest of the match, the other game a dude freaked out cuz we had 2 guys in starter armor, they were not bad, I guess he had to blame someone.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

28 minutes ago, Khalisto.5780 said:

66% afk rate in my matches so far, one a guy clearly new to pvp got exploded and half a second and afk'd for the rest of the match, the other game a dude freaked out cuz we had 2 guys in starter armor, they were not bad, I guess he had to blame someone.

haha, I remember when I could go straight to PvP right from the tutorial zone at level 1. Some people immediately targeted me and asked if I was new. They then got embarrassed when someone else pointed out my full PvP armor/backpack. =:D

1 hour ago, Ovark.2514 said:

Or just fix your game...

23 minutes ago, Sweetbread.3678 said:

Lol if they run this event more often they will literally lower the game's population in the long run. The trick isn't to bribe people into doing terrible pvp that nobody likes and the devs don't even support, it's to actually make decent pvp.

do both
run the pvp event, get the data, use the data to fix the game. 

Just now, Azure The Heartless.3261 said:

do both
run the pvp event, get the data, use the data to fix the game. 

Lol what data? Do they really need to run an experiment to realize that Call of Duty levels of damage is stupid and drives players away? That full 100% invisibility with no real counterplay is stupid and drives players away? That nigh-endless iframe spam is stupid and drives players away? That overloading every skill with 2+ cover conditions (bonus if its aoe) is stupid and drives players away? That having 60%+ of every match being Guardians and Necros because "we gotta keep the morons happy", is stupid and drives players away? That having every other match (at least) be decided by which team has the habitual afker that never gets banned is stupid and drives players away? That the top brackets just being a win trading fest between dbags is stupid and drives players away? What exactly do they need data on that hasn't been made abundantly clear for almost a decade?

They clearly have the data and they clearly just have not wanted to invest the resources into doing anything about it. If they aren't going to actually put effort into making the mode not a player repelling dumpster fire then they should probably not run an event coercing people into it.

• Thanks 3
  • Sad 1

12 minutes ago, Sweetbread.3678 said:

Lol what data? Do they really need to run an experiment to realize that Call of Duty levels of damage is stupid and drives players away?

They probably need to. It's the only explanation for the weird changes that tend to get roped in along the "hit the current annoying build" balance, and the presence of really granular changes for the classes that the devs have had firsthand experience on.

That full 100% invisibility with no real counterplay is stupid and drives players away? That nigh-endless iframe spam is stupid and drives players away? That overloading every skill with 2+ cover conditions (bonus if its aoe) is stupid and drives players away? That having 60%+ of every match being Guardians and Necros because "we gotta keep the morons happy", is stupid and drives players away? That having every other match (at least) be decided by which team has the habitual afker that never gets banned is stupid and drives players away? That the top brackets just being a win trading fest between dbags is stupid and drives players away? What exactly do they need data on that hasn't been made abundantly clear for almost a decade?

Good question. Keep in mind the devs have changed several times over that time, and only this iteration (and ben's) seems to be attempting to make an effort. If they need crib notes, fine.

They clearly have the data and they clearly just have not wanted to invest the resources into doing anything about it. If they aren't going to actually put effort into making the mode not a player repelling dumpster fire then they should probably not run an event coercing people into it.

See above. I may be jaded, but I'm not so spiteful that I'm willing to see the dumpster fire burn when there's interest in it not doing that. Them not running the event would be an admission that they don't actually intend for this to be content. If they want to direct players into it, good. 

Edited by Azure The Heartless.3261
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, Azure The Heartless.3261 said:

See above. I may be jaded, but I'm not so spiteful that I'm willing to see the dumpster fire burn when there's interest in it not doing that.

Well maybe there's a 1 in 8 trillion chance that you're right and they make an effort to balance the game, correct crippling design flaws, and turn pvp around. Meanwhile there's 12 years of actual history showing the exact opposite is what is going to happen. Being realistic isn't the same as being spiteful. We all know they aren't going to fix anything, but at least they could have the decency to keep the toxic wreckage isolated. It's like a city having a dilapidated playground covered in jagged rusty sheet metal and wondering why no kids are playing on it, and then instead of renovating it they just offer a door prize and hint at the possibility that if enough children get tetanus they may install a new bench for the parents.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

It's probably not coincidence that the rush is happening at the start of the season. The hope is probably to get people hooked into at least completing a league chest once they're done with the rush.

Pretty sure I've seen at least a few bots already, though.

20 hours ago, Sweetbread.3678 said:

It's like a city having a dilapidated playground covered in jagged rusty sheet metal and wondering why no kids are playing on it, and then instead of renovating it they just offer a door prize and hint at the possibility that if enough children get tetanus they may install a new bench for the parents.

This is my favorite comment on the internet right now. A+😂

You want to get more people into PvP? Then ban high ranked players from unranked. Because coming into this when your skills and experience are low and facing people that are clearly miles better than you as they farm you repeatedly just isn't fun.

Next time you want to complain about low participation, remember that this great opportunity to introduce the next generation of players to your part of the game was ruined by your own players being jerks. I've gone from having a 50-60% win rate in unranked to losing almost every game by 500-100. Which suggests that not only are a lot of very skilled players playing unranked suddenly this week, but that they are coming in groups as well. Otherwise I'd expect to be on teams with those more skilled players an even amount of time, and my win rate wouldn't change much.

No doubt we'll be back to the "PvP is dying and it's all ANETs fault" posts in a weeks time.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 1/29/2024 at 2:32 AM, Kranlor Greyhelm.8417 said:

You want to get more people into PvP? Then ban high ranked players from unranked. Because coming into this when your skills and experience are low and facing people that are clearly miles better than you as they farm you repeatedly just isn't fun.

Next time you want to complain about low participation, remember that this great opportunity to introduce the next generation of players to your part of the game was ruined by your own players being jerks. I've gone from having a 50-60% win rate in unranked to losing almost every game by 500-100. Which suggests that not only are a lot of very skilled players playing unranked suddenly this week, but that they are coming in groups as well. Otherwise I'd expect to be on teams with those more skilled players an even amount of time, and my win rate wouldn't change much.

No doubt we'll be back to the "PvP is dying and it's all ANETs fault" posts in a weeks time.

I think a large part of that is that unranked is pretty much the only place where tournament teams can practice playing as a team outside of the actual ATs. So people playing unranked is mostly split by people who aren't ready for ranked yet (either inexperienced players or players testing a build they don't want to risk their rank on) and tournament players.

Which is a bad situation for all involved, but I don't think it's necessarily the fault of the tournament players that they have nowhere better to practice short of challenging another team in a private arena.