WvW Feedback....again

I am an avid WvW'er and I have found this iteration of Beta to be the worst it has ever been. Our WvW guild is a pretty solid group and have been placed on Reaper's Corrider this week. We are against Moogooloo and Titan's Staircase. I share that to point out that both of these alliances must love this Beta as they are able to field multiple full zergs throughout the day and each probably post how wonderful it is going for them. This as both groups are able use Reaper as a bag farm.

This is the design that Anet brought to us and so they should be happy. However, that same design will ensure that anyone new to WvW will never return if they were amongst us with their friends. What is the fun of being constantly rolled over on? Those that are used to WvW just stop playing this iteration because the deck is stacked against balance.

At this time is when Anet should be monitoring the servers. Watch what is really happening between teams. Red and Blue don't even fight each other except in passing because that would be competitive and at this point in WvW that isn't of any interest to either of them. I can't understand what Red and Blue would even find fun, tbh. There is no skill involved in this. There is nothing to cap when you run again outnumbered on every map. There simply can't be fun for unless you are new and even then you are ill preparing those people for competition.

I realize that this is mostly venting but I no longer see a point of playing WvW like most of the other Veterans I know. Sorry, Beta bites.

• Like 3
  • Confused 4

Agreed, something about population balancing is way off. I would love to see some combination of (active WvW population) * (commander uptime) * (overall KDR) being used to balance each side. As it is, I feel chained to my pips and unmotivated, instead of excited for them.

• Confused 2

9 hours ago, Broxis.5841 said:

I share that to point out that both of these alliances must love this Beta as they are able to field multiple full zergs throughout the day and each probably post how wonderful it is going for them. This as both groups are able use Reaper as a bag farm.

This is the design that Anet brought to us and so they should be happy. However, that same design will ensure that anyone new to WvW will never return if they were amongst us with their friends. What is the fun of being constantly rolled over on?

I don't see how this differ from a new player in WvW that has randomly selected a server without even knowing what it was for back when making their account and then logs into WvW just to find the exact same scenario on their server, be it a link or a host.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Beta reset: Multiple smaller guilds on borders, even saw 4 tags on reset at one point, fun open blob fights.

Link reset: Single boonball, hidden tag, laggy as all kitten since the enemy had a boonball too.

Aaaah, back to enjoyable regular WvW 👌

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

On 2/1/2024 at 11:38 AM, Broxis.5841 said:

I am an avid WvW'er and I have found this iteration of Beta to be the worst it has ever been. Our WvW guild is a pretty solid group and have been placed on Reaper's Corrider this week. We are against Moogooloo and Titan's Staircase. I share that to point out that both of these alliances must love this Beta as they are able to field multiple full zergs throughout the day and each probably post how wonderful it is going for them. This as both groups are able use Reaper as a bag farm.

This is the design that Anet brought to us and so they should be happy. However, that same design will ensure that anyone new to WvW will never return if they were amongst us with their friends. What is the fun of being constantly rolled over on? Those that are used to WvW just stop playing this iteration because the deck is stacked against balance.

At this time is when Anet should be monitoring the servers. Watch what is really happening between teams. Red and Blue don't even fight each other except in passing because that would be competitive and at this point in WvW that isn't of any interest to either of them. I can't understand what Red and Blue would even find fun, tbh. There is no skill involved in this. There is nothing to cap when you run again outnumbered on every map. There simply can't be fun for unless you are new and even then you are ill preparing those people for competition.

I realize that this is mostly venting but I no longer see a point of playing WvW like most of the other Veterans I know. Sorry, Beta bites.

Would you feel differently is ArenaNet made a commitment to communicating about their matchmaking, and to tweaking it month-by-month until the balance gets better?

I'm not surprised that longtime WvW players who were already set up in guild in servers they were comfortable in would not like changes. People dislike change in general, and if you've invested your time in getting set up the way you want, then any deviation from that is a negative.

That said world restructuring is about 2 things:

1. Letting players play WvW with their friends.
  2. Shaking up the WvW experience - hopfully making for better, more balanced matchups.

Do you think that these are worthwhile end goals (regardless of whether or not you feel the implementation we just experienced achieved these goals)?

The first thing is an obvious benefit that we can't have with the server structure. The second thing is something that takes time for the devs to dial in. Not only does it take a few iterations for the balance to work its way through, but it's not even 100% clear which dials to dial or which levers to pull to get to the final best balance. That's something I'd expect to take much more than reset cycles.

So that leaves us with questions. If they commit, and keep adjusting, how much better will it get? How long will that take? How much pain are we willing to endure to eventually end up in a better place? Will it actually be better? How does this impact the new/casual WvW player experience? And how much do we care about that?

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

Today was amazing.
I logged on and my server was back. jumped into WvW and commanders I knew were on, the discord was populated and people were engaging as a community again, the spirit of the server, that was so lacking in the beta, was back.

• Like 4
  • Confused 2

7 hours ago, Cameirus.8407 said:

Today was amazing.
I logged on and my server was back. jumped into WvW and commanders I knew were on, the discord was populated and people were engaging as a community again, the spirit of the server, that was so lacking in the beta, was back.

Yeah I felt the same. It was good to be back. We still had the usual issues of course but then the betas also have their usual issues, so why change it if it's just different and not better? And yeah, the community feel is lacking so in that sense the betas are worse. 

• Confused 2