Lunar and Wintersday not same locations in the future?

Natta.8905

It is sad that Lunar New Year and Wintersday Festivals has the same location. Would be nice if one of them had another city/location, like with the other Festivals that have their own city/location.

Curent Locations/City:

Lunar New Year - Divinity's Reach 

Super Adventure - via Rata Sum

Dragon Bash - Hoelbrak

Festival of the Four Winds - Labyrinthine Cliffs

Halloween - Lion's Arch

Wintersday - Divinity's Reach

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just thought it would be more fun since Festivals is not that often and when it is then it should be something special and unique and different about it. Beside it is just a thought and an idea and any idea one has should be told and even if it does not happen then at least it is something to think about for future Expansions or Upgrades. 🙂

• Like 1

Problem is, they'd have to spend time on redesigning the feetival map and where all the decs, npcs, races, effects etc go. It's a lot of work to prep for just for the ambient background change, when all they currently have to do, is activate the festival. 

I'd have liked Wintersday to have been in more cities simultaneously, but that was a decision that had to be made at the start of the game. It's too late realistically now

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Teknomancer.4895 said:

If they're supposed to be game-wide, I've always thought these should be happening in the primary hub city: Lion's Arch.

Routing them elsewhere never really made sense to me.

I'll disagree. Some of them make sense to be in other places, others I agree with you. Wintersday SHOULD be in LA. It was in LA in GW1. LA is the major cultural hub. Wintersday should be in LA.

New Year should be in Canthan, and before you can jerk your knee put your foot back down. We already have special maps for The Four Winds. We already have special maps for The Mad King. We don't need to require people to own EoD for there to be a map or just a custom instance of the Monestary in Shing Jea for the New Year. In the past it made sense for it to be in DR because Cantha didn't exist. Now it does, so the excuse no longer flies aside from "We don't want to"

Which is basically Anets excuse for everything.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

Saying Super Adventure box is in Rata Sum, while true, is also a bit generous, since the only thing really in Rata Sum is the entrance to it - all the activity is inside of it, and that entrance could easily be in any city.

Wintersday being in Divinities Reach makes sense to me - it just feels more like a human holiday - I just don't see asurans or charr having that as part of their tradition (but of course, are willing to take part, just like many people will take party in Earth holidays based on where they live, even if not part of their longer tradition).

Lunar New Year could be someplace else (Lions Arch actually makes more sense, as one would figure there would be more Canthan folks there, and the holiday itself isn't really tied to DR history), but they are not going to move it.  And even if they did, then there would be 2 festivals in LA.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

7 minutes ago, Solvar.7953 said:

Wintersday being in Divinities Reach makes sense to me - it just feels more like a human holiday - I just don't see asurans or charr having that as part of their tradition (but of course, are willing to take part, just like many people will take party in Earth holidays based on where they live, even if not part of their longer tradition).

Let's mind our bias' here. If Wintersday feels more human it might just be because Wintersday was carried over from GW1, where it was associated with Dwaywa and Grenth as the symbols of both purity and cold, and humans were the only race we had access to. Wintersday now has nothing to do with any of the gods and there's no reason wintersday isn't applicable to all. Every other city puts up a wintersday tree afterall. LA would be better.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

i think that lunar new year should be in a canthan map that is accessible to all players, but with part of it left behind in divinity's reach.

we also need a festival for the black citadel and the grove. for the grove, easter would work (the bunny variant, not the religious one), possibly moving super adventure box into summer to fill the huge gap there, but for the black citadel i honestly have no idea. presumably it would be something autumn-based.

Edited by SoftFootpaws.9134
  • Like 2

On 2/3/2024 at 4:41 AM, ShadowKatt.6740 said:

Let's mind our bias' here. If Wintersday feels more human it might just be because Wintersday was carried over from GW1, where it was associated with Dwaywa and Grenth as the symbols of both purity and cold, and humans were the only race we had access to. Wintersday now has nothing to do with any of the gods and there's no reason wintersday isn't applicable to all. Every other city puts up a wintersday tree afterall. LA would be better.

The gods might not be sending their avatars, but it's still basically Christmas - a fundamentally religious festival even though it's also being embraced by secular society. You generally don't see Christmas being celebrated unless the culture has Christianity as a dominant religion, or has been heavily influenced by such cultures (I think Japan has Christmas and a couple of others from a purely secular perspective, but they've developed their own approach to them).

Wintersday has spread beyond the religion of the gods, likely merging somewhat with winter festivals of other races, but it makes sense that it's still going to be primarily observed by humans.

• Like 2

To me, the Norn having Wintersday makes a lot more sense than Dragon Bash.  Areas already snowy and Norn whole thing is moots / gift giving anyway.

Divinity Reach makes more sense for a Lunar New Year / Dragon Bash because they are just sort of overarching holidays that kind of have a 'big city' feel to them.

I can see why Cantha would work for Lunar New Year too as it is Asian themed and Lunar New Year is based around Chinese zodiac.  

Halloween is unfortunate one, as it made a lot more sense in the ship themed LA.  In the new themepark one it always seems stale and not a ton of the city is used anyway, where before LA was smaller (at least I think it was) so much more of the actual city was used.   

• Confused 2