Bladesworn unplayable in WvW

ori.5829

Regarding the nerfs to bladesworn in WvW the last half year, this really hit this whole class hard:

• no more stun on any dragon trigger skill, with zero compensation in regards to damage
  • dragon trigger skills are delayed now, which makes Dragon Slash—Boost (Dragon Trigger skill 2) absolutely useless regarding mobility

Bladesworn has a ton of skills that are extremly slow with a sluggish animation. Just look at the gunsaber autoattack, it is hilarious.

In WvW, it was only useful in roaming, as a niche counter to thief and ranger. Now it has been nerfed to the ground. The Trigger skills are predictable, so removing the stun was one of the most idiotic things to do. A fully charged Dragontrigger 1 does maybe a third of the damage that holosmiths overheat does (we have people hitting 30-35k). Note that overheat is an automated passive attack with no animation, dragon trigger can be easily avoided or interrupted. This is not a rant against other classes that overperform, just a rant about the constant nerfs of a class that has potential and was fun to play. I get the healing nerfs regarding spamming shouts to perma heal, that was justified. But removing the damage capabilites completly plus adding the extra long animation was just plain dumb.

• Like 6
  • Confused 1

I don't think Bladesworn kit is a niche counter to thief/ranger anymore. Now that Weapon Master lets the other specs use pistol (Shield Master) you don't really need Bladesworn. Even having unblockable DTs with Unyielding Dragon isn't unique due to Dagger giving access to harder hitting unblockable attacks more frequently.

The Dragon Trigger nerfs don't make any sense either. The only people getting hit by DTs are people that a) Don't know that you wait for the explosion then dodge b) Got their cooldowns whittled away (the bladesworn earned the hit) c) Don't just walk away from the weeb stance. Walking away is still the most consistent method of dealing with DT. Even if you get hit by DT 3 Reach it hits for 3K max on crit.

Only reason to play Bls is for fun movement, or face roll spam all your buttons for Unshakable Mountain. The lamest way to play bladesworn I've ever experienced.

Hot take, this spec needs to be more skillful and less brain-dead defensive spam. Shield Master, Defy Pain, Last Stand, Unshakable Mountain, etc. is a bit much. Also, another less hot take, Shield Master on Bladesworn is an insanely unfun mechanic when combined with other defensives. Before the most recent nerfs, I was easily 1v3ing regularly because of how much of a carry Aegis spam is. After nerfs my niche build kinda died because it relied on the cc burst to proc the defense stability gm (greedy, single stunbreak build) but the really annoying stuff was untouched. They just made the spec less fun to play without changing the problematic design.

The spec has fundamental design flaws that don’t work well with competitive modes. It took everything that is a liability on Warrior, turned it to 11, then did not build in adequate compensation for the risks taken. The spec isn’t bad, but it relies on abusing trait synergies and overpowered mechanics to bruiser its way through problems instead of using gameplay mechanics and relying on interactive components to actually be good. There’s a few cool things you can do with it, but I would assert it is fundamentally a pve-first specialization that requires such an extreme bloat of either sustain (healing+aegis+whatever else) or damage to be functional that it won’t be a serious spec in competitive modes.
I could very well be wrong. That’s just my view of it since they reduced the diversity of its gameplay after the first beta. 

• Like 2

That was one of the biggest complaints against Bladesworn, too many passive abilities and traits. So we have what we have now.

I don't know if you ever read the posts whenever they wanted to  knock Bladesworn down a notch, put they can be pretty focused and persistence.

Edited by Widebody.5071
  • Confused 2

the Dragon Trigger nerfs seriously killed this class.

Problem is that with the removal of the stun it means you need to charge the Dragon Trigger to gain value on the skill because if you don't charge it the damage is very bad and that's assuming they don't have the brain capacity to dodge when there's literally a smoke explosion before the slash. when charging you are so kitten vulnerable, and the only things you have to protect yourself is the aegis and shortkitten blink that are both on an absurd cooldown, and what's worse is if they have a brain and saves the burst damage or CC to when you charge DT then you'll be forced to dodge which also wastes your time charging it and DT goes to CD at 0 charge

its counterintuitive logic that could easily be fixed but they choose not to. 

my fix is 

1. give Dragon Trigger's Flicker Step(blink) no  charge but has 1 sec CD, and also a very short evade window like 0.25s(so its actually a skillshot). when you use DT your current spot is saved(this way you don't become a decap bot) and create a huge zone where you can flicker step at 1s cd unlimitedly as long as the cd is done if its too strong give it like a separate stamina bar, so they can't spam it like crazy.

2. if you go with that buff better nerf unyielding mountain

Edited by BonggangKikay.9576

On 2/5/2024 at 12:35 PM, BonggangKikay.9576 said:

the Dragon Trigger nerfs seriously killed this class.

Problem is that with the removal of the stun it means you need to charge the Dragon Trigger to gain value on the skill because if you don't charge it the damage is very bad and that's assuming they don't have the brain capacity to dodge when there's literally a smoke explosion before the slash. when charging you are so kitten vulnerable, and the only things you have to protect yourself is the aegis and shortkitten blink that are both on an absurd cooldown, and what's worse is if they have a brain and saves the burst damage or CC to when you charge DT then you'll be forced to dodge which also wastes your time charging it and DT goes to CD at 0 charge

its counterintuitive logic that could easily be fixed but they choose not to. 

my fix is 

1. give Dragon Trigger's Flicker Step(blink) no  charge but has 1 sec CD, and also a very short evade window like 0.25s(so its actually a skillshot). when you use DT your current spot is saved(this way you don't become a decap bot) and create a huge zone where you can flicker step at 1s cd unlimitedly as long as the cd is done if its too strong give it like a separate stamina bar, so they can't spam it like crazy.

2. if you go with that buff better nerf unyielding mountain

Dragon trigger skills are absolutely useless now if not fully charged. Even then gunsaber skill 3 or 4 can hit more than dragon trigger skills fully charged. This state is just braindead

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Ppl actually play this spec? I bought the expansion on release and all my motivation for playing warrior, and thus the whole game, left my body like my food after i drank that last bad shot 4am in the morning. 

Just in the last 2-3 days i picked it back up, running through EoD on berserker, havent set a foot in pvp or wvw, because i fear that i wont be having much fun in those with warrior...(all i ever did was wvw and occasionally pvp) 

And they even nerf that clunky, boring specc? Classical gw2 balancing. 

Yea they did, but it seems when a Bladesworn is on the field they get swamped pretty quickly before they can build up any adrenaline that's my experienace at least. I used to to pop my stab run into a zerg and and hit them with my little portable boon corrupter and start hitting dragon, cyclone trigger and flicker step and work my way out of the crowd as my team mates go to work. So much fun.

Can't do that now, I get get swamped LOL. I've seen our zerg on the lord and the opposing zerg just chilling then as soon as i attack the lord swoosh here they come. I've been slipping the last 2 days but prior week and 1/2 managed to escape, just too many people calling my location out. 😁

So time to go back to to defending again, maybe they'll nerf everything on more time.

Edited by Widebody.5071

• 1 month later...

I was thinking about trying out Bladesworn on PvP and WvW and o my.. the whole fantasy of the class is not present. It's just your typical bunker class which feels really lame to play. That is definitely not what you would imagine from a futuristic samurai class.

The whole Dragon Trigger thing is just SOOOOO anti-climactic that it's just humorous. All that buildup for a powerful attack that is EXTREMELY telegraphed and deals no more than a regular skill. What a joke.

Also, on a second note, you can't sheath your gunblade?!? Is it just me or it looks super awkward walking around with the sword in your hands like you are ready for battle, but you are actually in the a city

• Thanks 3

This is in my perspective for WVW use.

bladesworn is severely lacking in damage, not just burst damage but even decent damage.

dragon trigger skills are so easy to evade and when you do land em the reward is a measly random utility-damage woth from the posterchild class in which takes little to no setup and has multiple hits.

Shield master + aegis spam is gimmick and when you do encounter players that know to break your aegis will just make your entire build subpar.

the gunsaber doesn't take on unique weapon mods (forceful greatsword or any of the such) while yes the gunblade comes with utility that's all it is now, artillery strike used to be a threat now it's negligible. The auto attack with the range is so weak that it also becomes a liability when you're fighting someone that has reflect in melee range.

I played this spec on release and it was fun, not overpowered but fun and now it's just there gathering dust in the corners of my traitlines.

Disappointingly this goes for most of what warrior has and running vanilla disc-def-str performing better just goes to show how utterly sad the unique specs are.

I'm playing Divinity Bladesworn with banners and it's easy mode to win in 1v1 or skirmishes because of aegis with reflect on block trait. I mean, really. I can't be stopped 1v1 and team fights. Zergs? I don't even bother trying to use Bladesworn. There's not much impact it can do since you're stuck in place charging Dragon Slash and you're in danger of being run over by a zerg.

But I'm still peeved about Daring Dragon changes. I have no idea who wanted the alacrity or why.

Yeaaap Bladesworn better staying this way for the shake of Balance..... lol. They would have to completely overhaul its mechanics cause otherwise this spec should staying dead..... at least in PvP simply cause of how easy it is to Play xd. 

However. It still is funny to Play in PvE. In Raids/fracs/strikes its somewhat hard to Play cause of its fast paste Rotation and Main mechanic that roots yourself^^. In Open World you can make yourself basicly a god killing even legendary enemys pretty easy solo xd

On 4/6/2024 at 8:24 PM, Verdict is Vengence.6912 said:

I'm playing Divinity Bladesworn with banners and it's easy mode to win in 1v1 or skirmishes because of aegis with reflect on block trait. I mean, really. I can't be stopped 1v1 and team fights. Zergs? I don't even bother trying to use Bladesworn. There's not much impact it can do since you're stuck in place charging Dragon Slash and you're in danger of being run over by a zerg.

But I'm still peeved about Daring Dragon changes. I have no idea who wanted the alacrity or why.

well, we gotta fill our alacrity quota, amirite? 😏 no, who asked for daring dragon to be changed in the first place. could've had the best of both worlds.

the real kneecaps are the many obstacles warrior has to overcome to do damage in melee. rooted when in dragon trigger, telegraphed skills, very spammy playstyle that offers passive sustain or dps boosts. bladesworn on release made me go back to warrior, but removing that stun from WvW and PvP was a gross slap. then I left warrior again. you know it would be funky if they gave those two 1 1/2 evade frames that are on the underwater gunsaber to the terrestial gunsaber. (don't believe me? artillery slash and explosive shell are evade skills underwater.) i think adding the unblockable stacks to gunsaber skills would compensate for the reflects and low damage in competitive modes. having to hoop through crippled, weakness, immobilize, blind, chill, aegis, protection, and reflects are wildly unrealistic. anyone can sidestep your skills.

warrior can only dream of not being crippled by outdated skills, traits, and overnerfs.