Need some advice!

So my first 80 was a thief and while I do like it it's a bit stressful let's say ha ha...So was wondering what might be a good class to make an alt for that would be much easier and less stressful (I have anxiety so stress isn't always a good thing for me.) I appreciate any help and advice I can get thanks!

Triangle of downstate: mesmer, elementalist, thief have lowest health/armour so avoid this 3, everything else is potencially good. Calm down ele fans, this classes could be powerful, fun and everything you do you, but for most lazy gameplay we could seek something else.

Warrior - high armour and health is good start, and class base class mechanic is easy  (and so is Berzerker). Shake if Off utility is great as it cleans stuns and conditions, and Mending healing heals and clears conditions. You also have some option for ranged, or so many stuns on enemies which could be stressfree.

Necromancer - You have big healthpool, and also second healthpool, and you rattacks are generally ranged. You could go with Death and minion master, or Blood and collect life drain on attacks, that should make life easier. Power repear is less stressful.  Even if you are not minion master flesh golem is nice meatshield.

Sorry if it is too basic but: When leveling make sure you put specialization on your gear (bonus stat lines) and you can buy some very cheap supgrade stones, as well as Masterful equipment from TP. It might just happen that your gear was too off *like 20 levels off*.

Well I had bought level 80 exotic gear before going into living world season 1 I tried both Dire gear and a condition build and after that some berserker gear and a power build while berserker did help I was still getting over stressed with thing's there and I think a little burnt out on the thief for now even though I do enjoy it it's rough on my nerves and anxiety. I leveled easy enough with it but once I got to battle of lion's arch it wasn't so easy.

Battle for Lion's Arch is not easy for a someone likely to be a newbie.

Most truthful anwer: whatever profession you click with.

More general answer: pet classes are good, namely necromancer and ranger. Guardians don't have a pet but can be quite resilient.

I'll likely go with Necromancer...I've tried Guardian and I found it harder to level with than the Thief was...Ironically I clicked well with thief considering it's the only game I've played a rogue type in but the anxiety playing it causes at times I need a break from.

Ranger, you kinda get second healthbar in form of 2 pets you can swap around. You also have siget of renewal and Proteck me utility, and fair amount of ranged weapons, class mechanic isnt too engaging. So this might be easy. Longbow +Axe/??? is quite fun.

The statlines are tricky, as full Berzerker Assasin or Viper could be too demanding. Soldier or Dire stats are too low in dps so it actually makes combat longer. The mix of ranged and melee weaponswap could be good, as you can roll out pewpew from distance and wait for cld to refresh.

Celestial Dagger/Dagger could be fun, as celestial has so many stats, and d/d has decent condition base. You can mix Celestial with Viper. There is also Marouder statline for power builds. Also armour runes are often cheap, so you can adjust your runes for 6x something defensive.

With power builds you want to count your precision to be 100% including furry buff.

Generally use your both gear tab with one being full DPS kitten Zerker, and second some form of Open World Maruder Celestial. For power thied Sword/Pistol+SB could be fun, more stuns.

Using Sigils of Energy and Mischief on your 2nd weapon could be good.

You could experiment with different content, battle of Lion arch solo could be rought, have you been in squad? With LW1 check gw2 events spreedsheet to join the combat with other people. World bosses like could be a good test run. Or just Tequila sunlees, karka, lay line. Also Marionette. Just make sure you dont try to solo boss alone. You could also try RIBA silvester meta in LFG.

Dungeons could be good content if you find the squad for it, and dont repeat same dungeon per day.

Fractal tier 1 could be good practice, you could buy resistance tonic in myst vendor, or use one of Lauren Accesories for some infusion.

Edited by evilcat.6817

3 hours ago, Crymsyn.5037 said:

So my first 80 was a thief and while I do like it it's a bit stressful let's say ha ha...So was wondering what might be a good class to make an alt for that would be much easier and less stressful (I have anxiety so stress isn't always a good thing for me.) I appreciate any help and advice I can get thanks!

In order of easyness:

Condi hambow warrior:

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?PKgAINlJwSYKMLWJOKP/LfA-DSIUbU9XKtUAJEBRGCZmAO8CAAA-e

Stun, burn, stun, burn. Once at 80 unlock Berserker and use the celestial variant.

Condi gs staff Mirage (works well with other weapons as long as you keep the staff):

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?PigAEZlJwuYWsE2IO6L6neA-DSIUbUxDAA-e

You lay AoEs at range and let your clones do most of the tanking; move to celestial Mirage when you recah 80.

Condi Necro (staff axe & warhorn, but scepter is also great):

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?PSwEY6MssCGG7j5xOxSZ6bpD-DSIYrS9wfKRqAyUI0pIoEJgCfBEgw51ciPNAA-e

You use huge amounts of cc and conditions to tear foes apart before they can ever toucjh you. Unlock Reaper to either run celestial or power stast once you reach 80.

Condi Revenant with mace, axe & staff, Mallyx & Jalis:

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?PmwAkeZlhQHMJqhFROMI6hBSfMBKgDgzaqC-DSIYrS3wXKJUAVmAZGC9GBOcJIAhzr5EfaAA-e

Is slower at moving than the others but very tanky and once you reach 80 and unloc celestial Vindicator you can be essentially immortal and solo everything in PvE.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

17 hours ago, Crymsyn.5037 said:

I'll likely go with Necromancer...I've tried Guardian and I found it harder to level with than the Thief was...Ironically I clicked well with thief considering it's the only game I've played a rogue type in but the anxiety playing it causes at times I need a break from.

Thief was also my first character, and I still like it, but... yeah, some contents are difficult with it, if you're not a pro player (and I'm not). It's also less useful when you play in group/squad, so I usually swap profession for raids for example. Necromancer is a good choice. You can keep the thief for "bursting" (not really) damage/open world/pvp and the necro for soloing champions/raids. Always a good idea to have 2 very different professions. (I consider guardian the fastest class to level up though, so we might have different point of view on this)

19 hours ago, Crymsyn.5037 said:

if you can stick with thief long enough to level up the spectre subclass, then it plays very similar to necromancer with a shroud and everything. its also an effective support class so you can go full heal and tank in instanced content (alacheal spectre) without anyone complaining.

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Specter

furthermore, the daredevil subclass is far less squishy than the basic thief and excels at being a melee bruiser.

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Daredevil

if you don't want to mess around with thief in pve that much to get enough hero points to level a subclass, you can simply buy them from wvw from the heroics notary after playing there for a while with any character, though it takes several days to afford all 250 points. additionally hero point trains will often run through the heart of thorns maps and usually only require the basic raptor and basic gliding (automatically unlocked in hot, eod or soto).

you can also directly buy hero points from the gemstore if your wallet is not a concern.

as for gearing up, i think for open-world you don't want to play with berserker, dire or similar stats, you likely want to play with celestial stats. you can obtain this gear easily again from wvw from the unified golem merchant, and will cost like 2g for a full set (again, after some playtime there for badges of honor) or from pve from verdant brink in hot, as it can be obtained from stat-select bladed armor, with ascended trinkets being available from laurel merchants and living world maps. there's also crafting, but you need level 400 in the relevant diciplines and creating charged quartz crystals has a time gate of once per day.

you can search on youtube for thief celestial builds that will greatly reduce your stress of playing it and will work for anything but raids.

Edited by SoftFootpaws.9134

21 hours ago, Crymsyn.5037 said:

was wondering what might be a good class to make an alt for that would be much easier and less stressful

What content are you looking to do?

if we’re talking wvw and spvp get used to being killed early and often. Accept your fate and you’ll stress a lot less.  For wvw you often want different builds for zergs and roaming groups. Thief and Mesmer are very hard to fight against but personal skill counts for a lot too. 

For instance pve, knowing the fight mechanics is way more important than your class and build. For example, it doesn’t matter what you play or your gear, if the boneskinner does his shoulder shrug and you’re not properly stacked and don’t dodge left, you’re going down. 

For open world play, mechanist engineer (the jade robot) and clone mesmer just seem to win fights they have no right to win. The robot and clones do an amazing job holding aggro and do decent damage on their own.  Engineer is way more forgiving though. Necromancer and Guardian are also strong in open world play too. 

Most open world comes down to this: having defensive abilities, including 1 stun break, and knowing when to use them and knowing when to give up and ask in map chat for help. If you review the builds on metabattle.com all the open world builds are 100% offense overkill, so swap a utility or 2 for defensive and you’ll still do enough damage but you’ll stand up longer. 

On 2/6/2024 at 4:43 PM, Crymsyn.5037 said:

IMHO Core Thief is in a weird state right now. You have to work pretty hard to dish out some decent damage while being very vulnerable against anything that does not stand in your black powder smoke field (pistol 5). If you want to have a more relaxing thief experience you may try the deadeye elite specialization if you happen to own the path of fire expansion. I myself was hesitant to do so because a sniper didn't exactly line up with the class fantasy I had in mind but as it turned out deadeye is a surprisingly mobile sniper with very easy access to stealth and the rifle is an incredibly versatile weapon. In the end I was dealing like 4 times the damage with only 3 buttons and a dodge roll with enemies hardly ever touching me if I don't let them.

As a general advice I would refrain from using berserker gear for solo play unless you know what you are doing. You will have much more room for errors with something like marauders or celestial.

Edited by Padrion.7382
typo
  • Like 3

On 2/7/2024 at 10:19 AM, Padrion.7382 said:

As a general advice I would refrain from using berserker gear for solo play unless you what you are doing. You will have much more room for errors with something like marauders or celestial.

This is important. While Berserker or Viper are common for damage builds they are min/maxed for Group content. So you'd have healers and buffers with you to help keep you alive and focusing on damage rather than survivability. Make sure you have runes in your gear. Even if you can't afford the best/expensive ones as long as you have a set as they give a lot of stats. Also if you look at builds look for ones that are LI (low intensity) it will let you learn and do good damage without having too many buttons.

Depending on if you have an expansion or not, End of Dragons introduced the Jade bot. It has an item slot that gives at least 100 vitality extra. So, take a character through the story there until you get the bot (second map) and all your characters can equip an item easily bought off the TP for extra life.

• Like 1

What prefix would you recommend? I originally had something else in the gear but someone told me to get berserker's so I did. I haven't done pvp most I've done is go to edge of the mists for living world season 1 (Managed well enough on that till I got to battle of lion's arch).

You have two slots for gear, so one could be kitten max DPS meta. And the other solo open world kitten. Extra gear slot cost 500gems if you like class it is ok price for like (raid setup, wvw setup). For specialization build in wizard vault you can buy enought build slots, just wait a season,

Full zerker could be hard, especially in more solo einviroment, could be ok in group event. Also you can exchange Zerker with Assasin to reach that 68% crit chance +25 furry +7% Accuracy sigil. Maruder stats are good open world alternative, more healthcare. Celestial statline is generous, however with powerbuilds you use lesss of conditon and expertise, and use of concentration and healpower is questionable. It depends if you can do your build mix used with decent condition input. Thief Dagger Dagger Bow is quite condtion heavy thou, so you can play mix.

Also You can adjust your runes, relicts, sigils to something more defensive. Sometimes runes/sigils are very cheap so you can experiment with them. Load somethin like trooper runes and see how it goes.

Food and Utility consumable. You can have food for more POWER, but you could also have second set of foodutility with full survival in mind.

7 hours ago, Crymsyn.5037 said:

What prefix would you recommend? I originally had something else in the gear but someone told me to get berserker's so I did. I haven't done pvp most I've done is go to edge of the mists for living world season 1 (Managed well enough on that till I got to battle of lion's arch).

It really depends on what kind of character and content you want to play. Berserker stats make you a glass cannon which either depends on a very skilled player or a dedicated Healer/Supporter in a group environment. And in this environment those builds are indeed very good (same goes for Viper's on a condition build). When you are solo, however, you don't really need that much damage but you might want to be able to take a hit to not kiss the dirt each time you encounter an unfamiliar type of enemy.

For a power build Marauder's sacrifices a little bit of damage in favor of a lot more health (same is true for Dragon's). It has more stats in total than Berserker, therefore the tradeoff isn't bad. Celestial's provides every attribute including boon duration and condition duration and gives you the most stats in total. However, not every build can make use of all these attributes. It is usually more efficient on condition damage builds because every condition build can use power to some extent but not every power build has access to conditions. Some do, however, and those work decent with celestial gear as well.

You can of course always mix and match pieces. Even my (power) Deadeye uses 3 pieces of Celestial gear at the moment that I don't have replaced yet and does perfectly fine.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Crymsyn.5037 said:

I think I originally had dire because it had condition and some health and toughness but was told to go power and berserker's. So Marauder, Dragon, or Celestial?

Dire is only suitable for condition builds in solo play, but celestial is generally a stronger option for such builds.  These will also have much better passive sustain (tankiness) than dragon/marauder.  But don't use celestial with power builds.  The damage is usually pretty low if you don't also deal condition damage.

Generally speaking I do mostly solo and story content. I may help out with groups in events or world bosses but never plan to do that. I've only stepped into wvw for living world and maybe adventure guide but quickly left. I had originally been planning on specter which  read was better for condition damage over power but got talked out of it and into the berserker's gear. So celestial for condition dragon or marauder for power?

I don't know the ins and outs of specter nor if it works better with power or condition damage at the moment. What I usually do is to try out the different weapons for a while, see what is most fun (which is very subjective of course) and then start to acquire gear that supports this play style. For open world and story content your build doesn't need to be optimal so you don't need to buy a full set all at once only to regret it a week later. You mentioned above that you don't want to be stressed, so pick something that you feel comfortable with rather than something that does 40k DPS on a training dummy if you apply a thirty step rotation...

Edited by Padrion.7382

I am a broken record on this but once again I sing the praises of Reaper (necro Elite spec).  So low stress.  Build it a little bit tanky, include the trait line that auto-shrouds you if you take a killing blow, and you will be serenely looking for large packs of mobs to wade into.

My main professions played for story and content are Daredevil, Reaper, and Virtuoso.  Reaper is by far the most laid back.  It gives you time to think about your next button press, the GS and utility shouts synergize beautifully together, it's very hard to fully die.  It's my go-to for helping friends with HP runs, story, boss fights, etc, since I can easily maintain a conversation in Discord voice while beating things up in game.  She's not my highest dps, by far, things don't die in seconds.  But she also doesn't often die, and I haven't actually geared her all that precisely, just slapped on a lot of condi and Vipers stuff.  I'm sure she could be stronger in a fight without losing any survivability.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 2/6/2024 at 9:02 AM, Harfang.1507 said:

Guardians don't have a pet but can be quite resilient.

I started with Guardian and loved it. Next was ele. and then Mesmer. Nowadays, I've played 'em all, and my three faves are Guardian (Firebrand), Ele (Weaver), and Ranger (Soulbeast).

I've settled finally on Ranger seems I like my leather wearing classes in this game! I'm not entirely sure why I can't handle Guardian I like the class theme or identity as I've always liked Paladin's/Magic wielding warrior's. I have been enjoying the short bow and dual axes on Ranger.

Ranger is good especially if you become untamed and utilize the ambush skills. It's like have a medic by your side. Plus some of your pets are good with defiance breaks, converting conditions to boons etc. I also tried to max vitality. My health (the big red blob centre bottom screen) is 30K whether it's longbow or hammer.