Obsidian Armor Skins?

I have all three sets of the (Raid) PvE legendary armor. Was it a bit of a grind? Yep. Is the convenience worth it? Yep. Would I do it again, IF I still needed legendary armor? Yep. But I like the new Obsidian Armor skins. Yet, I don't want to make 3 MORE sets of legendary armor. Any chance those of us with the original PvE sets could obtain just skins for the Obsidian somehow?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 18
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, RajaatTheWarbringer.6549 said:

I have all three sets of Legendary Armor from WvW, but I like the skins from PvE Raids, hey Anet any chance I could just have those as skins?

There's already a way to get WvW and PvP legendary armor.  Honestly, I'd like a way to just get the skins (no legendary functionality) of Raid and SotO legendary armor.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

Maybe tier 2 skins will allow unlocking if you have the same weight unlocked in any pvp/wvw/raid/open world set?
After all, those skins aren't actually legendary armor, just skins. That's definitely different from the current interaction of legendary armor. I mean, you can get the "legendary" PvP and WvW armor skins by just unlocking the ascended armor, amiright? lol

I do agree with the other posters that the legendary armor skins (current skins) should only be available for those who put the effort into craft the actual legendary item. It functions as a "visual achievement" or sorts. That being said, I am definitely not going to grind for the weight sets I already have from raids. Legendaries were always more for the convenience than the skins for me anyway (although I love my raid heavy armor!).

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Entropy.1938 said:

I have all three sets of the (Raid) PvE legendary armor. Was it a bit of a grind? Yep. Is the convenience worth it? Yep. Would I do it again, IF I still needed legendary armor? Yep. But I like the new Obsidian Armor skins. Yet, I don't want to make 3 MORE sets of legendary armor. Any chance those of us with the original PvE sets could obtain just skins for the Obsidian somehow?

I worked for it too, but its hardly fair to just give us the skins and make everyone else have to do the grind. If you like it just have to do it.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Artemis.8034 said:

I worked for it too, but its hardly fair to just give us the skins and make everyone else have to do the grind. If you like it just have to do it.

It would probably be fair to make you do the initial achieve, and then buy the first raid skin for 150 LI, and two other for 300 LI each and skip the rest of the cost as long as you already have a legendary armor of a certain weight from other sources. With the similar method for Obby requiring just essences.

• Thanks 2
  • Confused 2

Wow! The vitriol from some folks. . .my point, which I know will be wasted on many of you, it seems:  I, personally, don't see legendary armor as a status symbol or flex - it's just about the convenience and QoL (given that ascended has the same stats).  In fact, several of my toons wear outfits or have transmuted the legendary raid skins to ones that I like better. I happen to like the Obby skins better than the Raid Skins. I wouldn't ask this about the PvP or WvW sets as those require different game modes - if I want those, time to engage in that game play. The Obby set is from the the same game mode as Raids: PvE. Was simply putting it out there to see if there was a way to obtain, only the skins, through a somewhat lesser grind. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3
  • Confused 3

Logically with how much effort and resources poured into making a set, it isn't that unreasonable to ask for the others' skins after already getting 1 set since crafting another brand new set doesn't offer anything new but just the skin. But of course players have to conflate them with symbols of status and sneer at anything threatening their prestige.

Whatever, it's not like this wasn't a question/request when the original 3 leggy sets were first implemented yet here we are. And the fact that Anet made players already owning the Skyscale have to go through the same process as those who didn't just to unlock a mediocre skin tells volumes about how much they care about the whole thing.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 4
  • Sad 1

I personally think they should give raid armor out to everyone. I already crafted all 3 sets for WvW. I did more work for all 3 of those than the raids could ever achieve. Please anet! Give us something on a WvW vendor. Maybe make the PvE raid armor cost I don't know 5 tower lord kills each? Maybe 1 fire keep kill solo? Killing the Fire keep lord solo is definitely on par...I'd say that would be really really cool of you anet!

Just skins ofcourse! I don't really need legendary functionality.

Edited by Wolfofdivinity.6251
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 6

18 hours ago, RajaatTheWarbringer.6549 said:

I have all three sets of Legendary Armor from WvW, but I like the skins from PvE Raids, hey Anet any chance I could just have those as skins?

See...what this guy said! Ours was much much harder to attain. We should be able to get the skins unlocked for free. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 7

8 hours ago, Entropy.1938 said:

Wow! The vitriol from some folks. . .my point, which I know will be wasted on many of you, it seems:  I, personally, don't see legendary armor as a status symbol or flex - it's just about the convenience and QoL (given that ascended has the same stats).  In fact, several of my toons wear outfits or have transmuted the legendary raid skins to ones that I like better. I happen to like the Obby skins better than the Raid Skins. I wouldn't ask this about the PvP or WvW sets as those require different game modes - if I want those, time to engage in that game play. The Obby set is from the the same game mode as Raids: PvE. Was simply putting it out there to see if there was a way to obtain, only the skins, through a somewhat lesser grind. 

Let's flip it: Do you really want those of us who don't raid to be able to get the same prestige of doing the raids? Part of the prestige of the raid armor comes with the fact that the content is difficult to do, and made more so by requiring extensive player coordination. Not everyone's schedules line up to be able to consistently do raids. You're saying I, who does not raid, should be able to get the same skin for much less effort? That is not fair to the raiders, and summarily, getting the other skins for less of a grind is not fair to those recipients either. Do you really want me seen in the same light as you?

Both those armors require extensive effort. Sure, one may be seen as faster or easier or less expensive, but it requires a lot of effort regardless. You want the skins?  Go farm 54,000 T1 essences and spend the 10,800 ecto like we triple makers did for the 18 gifts of expertise. ANET made the content to be played. Was it boring at times? Yes it was. Was it satisfying to finish? Oh kitten the hell yes it was. The whole appeal of the Obby armor was to be able to get a legendary armor without having to rely on the extensive player coordination required for raids. Also kitten PvP and WvW.

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

Again. To me the armor is not about prestige. There are now four paths for legendary armor, pick your favorite. The arguments of "_____ way was so much tougher than ____________." are, quite frankly, ridiculous. I don't begrudge anyone their legendary set  - they earned it, more power to them. I crafted the raid armor because I had started raiding and the convenience of not having to swap armor sets, stat swap, or craft yet another ascended set when the meta changed, was appealing (at one point I think I had 10 full sets of ascended armor). When raiding it is not uncommon to swap roles, toons, or stats mid-wing. I guess, in my mind, Anet sort of does what I'm suggesting with the Aurene weapons. Once you make the legendary axe, you can unlock other skins via collections. You don't have to create six more legendary axes. If people want to make a case that ALL legendary armor skins should be able to be unlocked, once you craft an actual set, I could get onboard with that. 

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, Zera.9435 said:

Let's flip it: Do you really want those of us who don't raid to be able to get the same prestige of doing the raids?

Like i said, i see no problem. 150 LI for first, 300 LI per 2nd and 3rd skin would satisfy the content grind requirements. The rest of the cost can be easily vaived, on account of you already having legendary armor and not being able to use more than one anyway.

And yes, i do have the Envoy armor, if you are wondering. And for the same "prestige" - since i don't feel it confers any, again, i do not see where the problem is.

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 2

27 minutes ago, Entropy.1938 said:

Again. To me the armor is not about prestige. There are now four paths for legendary armor, pick your favorite. The arguments of "_____ way was so much tougher than ____________." are, quite frankly, ridiculous. I don't begrudge anyone their legendary set  - they earned it, more power to them. I crafted the raid armor because I had started raiding and the convenience of not having to swap armor sets, stat swap, or craft yet another ascended set when the meta changed, was appealing (at one point I think I had 10 full sets of ascended armor). When raiding it is not uncommon to swap roles, toons, or stats mid-wing. I guess, in my mind, Anet sort of does what I'm suggesting with the Aurene weapons. Once you make the legendary axe, you can unlock other skins via collections. You don't have to create six more legendary axes. If people want to make a case that ALL legendary armor skins should be able to be unlocked, once you craft an actual set, I could get onboard with that. 

I understand, but the Gen 3 legendaries were a big selling point of EoD, just as Obby armor is the main selling point of SotO. Your suggestion  would further devalue SotO's selling point. That's why they won't do it.

12 hours ago, Entropy.1938 said:

If Legendary armor is a QoL/convenience item for you, and you already have that functionality, then you are good as is. These are being introduced for those who DO think of legendary armor as a trophy of sorts,.

• Confused 2

The problem is basing an entire Expansion's reward structure around something redundant for a lot of players, which seems like a terrible idea for retention. 

A lot of players would likely be fine with earning the skins to a degree, but expecting players to make entirely redundant set/s of Legendaries just for a skin seems excessive.

And while that does hold true to some extend for the game mode specific previous Legendary Armors (PvE, WvW and sPvP), earning this new expansion armor, as mentioned, is highly the focus of the expansion as a whole - similar as with EoD and it's Legendary Weapons. 

If you are already geared or don't care about that one singular reward, pretty much all expansion content is basically dead on arrival in terms of rewards and long term goals. Even more so considering that Legendaries don't even have any form of prestige/skill requirement associated with them (it's mostly just grinding/swiping), except for maybe the Legendary HoT PvE Armors, although to ever lesser degrees as powercreep goes rampant. 

Therefor I personally don't see anything wrong with providing a middle ground for players to earn the skins of such high value items for partial costs, since they are so high in cost primarily due to the Quality of Life they provide - which said players have already earned and unlocked for their account through other, similarly priced, avenues. 

It's probably better than losing those players because you've given them pretty much nothing to work for across entire expansions/years, unless they are willing to grind for something they to 95% already own, just for a different cherry skin on top.

• Like 1
  • Confused 4

17 minutes ago, Asum.4960 said:

The problem is basing an entire Expansion's reward structure around something redundant for a lot of players, which seems like a terrible idea for retention. 

A lot of players would likely be fine with earning the skins to a degree, but expecting players to make entirely redundant set/s of Legendaries just for a skin seems excessive.

And while that does hold true to some extend for the game mode specific previous Legendary Armors (PvE, WvW and sPvP), earning this new expansion armor, as mentioned, is highly the focus of the expansion as a whole - similar as with EoD and it's Legendary Weapons. 

If you are already geared or don't care about that one singular reward, pretty much all expansion content is basically dead on arrival in terms of rewards and long term goals. Even more so considering that Legendaries don't even have any form of prestige/skill requirement associated with them (it's mostly just grinding/swiping), except for maybe the Legendary HoT PvE Armors, although to ever lesser degrees as powercreep goes rampant. 

Therefor I personally don't see anything wrong with providing a middle ground for players to earn the skins of such high value items for partial costs, since they are so high in cost primarily due to the Quality of Life they provide - which said players have already earned and unlocked for their account through other, similarly priced, avenues. 

It's probably better than losing those players because you've given them pretty much nothing to work for across entire expansions/years, unless they are willing to grind for something they to 95% already own, just for a different cherry skin on top.

The reason they make such things a selling point is to incentivize players. Sure, those who already have legendary armors may not be as interested in it, but for players like me who did not have any legendary armor at all up until yesterday (even after over 11 years of playing), it was an absolute selling point and it is the only reason I got the expansion. The next expansion will definitely need to offer something significant for me to be interested (like legendary rings that do not require raids, pvp, or wvw). However, legendary equipment is absolutely a selling point for an expansion. Not everyone is a 'one and done' type of player when it comes to legendaries. Some of us really do make them just for the skins, and IF we want a skin, we put in the work for it. It's that simple. It's to INCENTIVIZE GAMEPLAY.

Why would they introduce an alternate path to a legendary skin that reduces play time? They want us playing MORE, not less. They want us to play their content for as long as possible.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Yes is pretty silly u pay 80% for something that is useless when u already have made another legendary for either same weapon or armor type and the stats swap become worthless for u. For sure they need to do something about this problem as so many legendarys are in game now days

• Like 2
  • Confused 4

6 hours ago, Zera.9435 said:

The reason they make such things a selling point is to incentivize players. Sure, those who already have legendary armors may not be as interested in it, but for players like me who did not have any legendary armor at all up until yesterday (even after over 11 years of playing), it was an absolute selling point and it is the only reason I got the expansion. The next expansion will definitely need to offer something significant for me to be interested (like legendary rings that do not require raids, pvp, or wvw). However, legendary equipment is absolutely a selling point for an expansion. Not everyone is a 'one and done' type of player when it comes to legendaries. Some of us really do make them just for the skins, and IF we want a skin, we put in the work for it. It's that simple. It's to INCENTIVIZE GAMEPLAY.

Why would they introduce an alternate path to a legendary skin that reduces play time? They want us playing MORE, not less. They want us to play their content for as long as possible.

This is what I don't understand. But let me preface this by saying I'm glad you got your Armor, and I'm all in favour of Anet adding new avenues for different types of players to earn those things. That's not my issue. 

But they imo also should think about those players who already earned those things. Imagine being a GW2 player over the last couple of years of content rewards who a) already had a Legendary Amulet, b)  doesn't need Legendary Weapons anymore and c) already has Legendary Armor. I don't have to imagine that - it's been years and years of the game asking me to either grind for things that are almost completely pointless/redundant to me, or having nothing to do/quit the game. 

That's not incentivising. That's not making players like me play more.

You say, now that you have Legendary Armor, ofc the next expansion definitely needs to offer something significant else, but you still can't empathize with players who've already been in that situation, for years now, if it does not? What if next expansion would be again, every map completion, meta event, etc. is useless unless you want to make yet another armor, the masteries are just "learn how to make yet another Armor Set". And the expansion after that too. Fun.

Now if the game at least told me, don't worry, if you already have Legendary Armor, there is still a reason to complete and repeatedly play this content, as the things like Map Completion, Meta Event rewards and such can still be used to unlock the Skins, without having to do the whole 1000g+ grind for Legendary functionality/QoL again - that would be incentivising players.

Instead, I logged in and played like 3-5 times over the last half a year (really just for the new Weapons and Betas, which is why I'm back rn too - something actually new for me ingame), because frankly, there are too many good games with wholly new and fresh content and gameplay out there, for me to sit down and grind out thousands of gold and such in GW2, again, for a skin that is absolutely indistinguishable from a Cash Shop purchase (and since you can convert gems to gold, might as well be), nor carries any ingame accomplishment or prestige with it. 

Now for the record, I don't particularly care for the skins anyway - most of my characters have set looks since over half a decade, but I'd still go for earning them just because - if it wasn't quite so ridiculous as paying the Legendary Price Tag all over, I already did that and no skin unlock for completions sake alone is worth that to me. Which is a problem if that's all there is for a whole Expansion, or two, or three.

• Like 1
  • Confused 4

This isn't a new situation, we've had 'duplicate' legendaries with different skins for years. (Specifically since Heart of Thorns came out with the first Gen 2 weapons.) You've always had to do all the steps to unlock one if you want the skin, even if you've already got another legendary of the same type.

You could argue it's different since the legendary armoury was added, because now there's no use for a second legendary of the same type (except weapons which can be dual wielded, and even then you only need 2) but Anet must have been aware of that and they didn't make any changes then and only offered compensation for duplicates of the same item - if you made The Bifrost twice you got to swap the second one, if you made The Bifrost and Nevermore you didn't. Same with armour, if you had two sets of WvW legendary armour you could swap one, if you had one set of WvW armour and one set of raid armour in the same weight you didn't get anything.

Likewise when the dragon variants for the Aurene legendaries came out there was no short-cut for people who already had a different legendary weapon and wanted the dragon skins. If you have The Bifrost and want Soo-Won's Insight you're going to have to craft Aurene's Insight first, even though it will be a useless duplicate legendary and a skin you probably don't want, all to get the skin you do want. (It's the same with all other items too, but those don't take as long to make so I suppose it's not considered a problem.)

As far as I can see nothing has changed now. Yes there's a new set of legendaries but it's no different to all the previous times new ones have been released, so I think it's unlikely Anet are going to decide this is the time they want to make a short-cut for people who want them but would rather not go through the process of getting them. And yes I know people only want the skins but, especially from Anet's perspective, that's always been the main appeal of legendaries. It was only when the armoury was introduced that they actually became any different to ascended items. (Originally they were exotics and were functionally identical to all other exotics, you couldn't even change the stats without getting another exotic weapon and using a transmutation crystal to combine the two.)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 2/28/2024 at 5:09 AM, Zera.9435 said:

Only on the condition that I also get the legendary skins from Raids/WvW/PvP for free. I just crafted my 3 obby sets. YOU SEE HOW THAT SOUNDS, MARY?

As someone who has all Raid and all WvW armors I'd be totally ok with that. Raids are a joke these days anyways thanks to massive powercreep. 🙂

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 3