Underwhelming. Not really bad, but also not good. [Merged]

Overall I think the idea of SOTO is good, but it's leaving me feeling very detached from the story. I've spent the better part of a decade with "my crew" from the original characters like Rytlock, Caithe, Logan, Eir, Zojja, to the found family along the way, Taimi, Braham, Rox, Kas and Jory, later on Gorrik (and Rama), and most importantly Aurene. While it's true we reconnected with Zojja, she was taken away again because she did the ritual and lost her memories. We're effectively alone here, and it's emotionally gutting. I miss my "family." None of the npcs so far are trying to be anything close to that in SOTO. 

They know me, know my accomplishments, Lyhr even says if we were one of the bad ones we would've been killed. ...Thanks? We're given a new title and treated like we can't be trusted, to the point that our new bestie is a demoness who is playing game of thrones and uses us as a pawn in her game. 

I want Taimi back, I need my woman in the chair. I want somebody on my side. I want Aurene to help me blast a hole the size of a comet through Eparch if he looks at me funny again. Kas and Jory are largely retired, same with Braham and Rox, and that's fine. But Taimi would jump at the chance to come to the tower and investigate. Rytlock would love any excuse to not be knee deep in politics. 

The commander needs a friend, somebody who isn't trying to use them, or talk down to them, or forget them.

Edited by xvalkyrie.6742
  • Like 4
  • Confused 1

You just mentioned the big, enraging plot hole. The wizards knew what we did. They knew we saved little farmers in Queensdale, gardeners in Diessa, that we put chickens into their places and rescued Tyria from the Elder Dragons, a rogue god and the Void. While also taking down a Claw of Jormag, solving the Triple Trouble problem in Bloodtide and being overall the No. 1 hero. There for everyone who needs a helping hand. Pact went down over Maguuma. Who went in and saved countless pact soldier lifes? The commander. Not Issgarren&friends. No, they just copied Maguuma to torture some poor souls. 

The mighty and awesome wizards did nothing apart from decorating their place and torturing people. That's it. That is all to it. They are as useful as a heater in an erupting volcano.

And they treat us like some noname pariah.

How useless they are can be seen right from the start. We don't even know them and ALREADY in the first 15minutes of running into them we have to save their sorry useless arses several times over and have to prevent some ghastly thingy from taking over their pretty palace.

At this point, we do not need to prove anything. They need to prove that they are even marginally useful and maybe a little bit trustworthy. And so far they have failed. Very, very hard.

If the next story step does not include 'tear Galrath and Issgarren a new one for being amorale useless pricks', I have to conclude that the writing team has forgotten 10 years of story. Or that someone is really really bad at their job. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 4

1 hour ago, VAHNeunzehnsechundsiebzig. said:

If the next story step does not include 'tear Galrath and Issgarren a new one for being amorale useless pricks', I have to conclude that the writing team has forgotten 10 years of story. Or that someone is really really bad at their job. 

Hey, at least the story doesn't even try to obfuscate the reason for why the Wizards never helped with any of the Tyria's major issues. Some NPCs may mention some high (and not especially convinving) reasons for that, but even a short talk with Isgarren reveals that they didn't help because he is a kitten and just doesn't care. (i mean "some of your friends even survived, so everything is fine", right?).

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 3

Don't know if it was mentioned or not but one thing that is missing for me is some kind of jumping puzzle or mini dungeon.

There is one in the wizard tower, yes, but for me a big part of the game is exploring and finding a secret jumping puzzle in a cave or anywhere else. In Soto? Nah, nothing. No hidden mine in Droknar's Light, no Inner Chamber in Primal Maguuma, no dark room with a jumping puzzle in it in Bastion of the Obscure, no Kryptis mini-dungeon...

Those can help fill the maps and add some complexity to them, while also giving players a reason to get down their skyscales and explore the world. Add on top of that some lore to the jp/dungeons and you even got some side stories giving us more reasons to care for the new maps!

• Like 9

22 hours ago, Astralporing.1957 said:

Hey, at least the story doesn't even try to obfuscate the reason for why the Wizards never helped with any of the Tyria's major issues. Some NPCs may mention some high (and not especially convinving) reasons for that, but even a short talk with Isgarren reveals that they didn't help because he is a kitten and just doesn't care. (i mean "some of your friends even survived, so everything is fine", right?).

you know, I do map completition on an alt at the moment. It feels more rewarding than Soto. That says a lot. Are hearts a chore? Yes. But at least we get a thank you afterwards.

• Like 2
  • Confused 4

37 minutes ago, VAHNeunzehnsechundsiebzig. said:

you know, I do map completition on an alt at the moment. It feels more rewarding than Soto. That says a lot. Are hearts a chore? Yes. But at least we get a thank you afterwards.

Oh, you don;t have to explain. I am doing core map completion on a new alt at the moment as well.

• Like 1
  • Confused 4

This elite upper echelon exclusive wizard club really pissed me off. You're telling me my ancestor risked her life traveling all the way from LA to kessex to deal with this blight named galrath with some stupid henchmen 200 years ago just for you to resurrect him?? No, this is not ok. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 1

• 2 weeks later...

I like the story, of course doing the events to fill time is something i don't like, gaining access to the new weapon before i could use it wasn't really needed and one last note, i never talk bad about the writers, they are good, i just miss having connor at the studio, he was so talented.

Edited by vrauns.3215
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1