do not touch axe/pistol

Lightsbane.9012

Lets ignore the fact that it goes though walls. Beeing on 1500 range and does oneshot dmg (If played on high dmg stats) also it got no animation at all.....   surely this will stay in Game right? 

No okay im gonna be real i like that thief does actually dmg again. I also like that it is not as blind spamy as Dagger Pistol soooo its a plus/plus xd

• Like 6
  • Confused 2

38 minutes ago, Myror.7521 said:

Lets ignore the fact that it goes though walls. Beeing on 1500 range and does oneshot dmg (If played on high dmg stats) also it got no animation at all.....   surely this will stay in Game right? 

No okay im gonna be real i like that thief does actually dmg again. I also like that it is not as blind spamy as Dagger Pistol soooo its a plus/plus xd

a/p is initiative heavy even with Trickery, so if anything all works well

the range btw is 1800 max FROM you, but ALWAYS 900 from the Stationary axes. if they fixed the recall on BOTH salvos (among fixing it where we expend malice on malicious cunning salvo) then the RECALLED versions of the stealth skills will not reveal us making good stealth combos as "reavers"

Enjoy it while it lasts, literally defy all balance and goes against all the thief haters. They go brrrrrrrrrr in wvw, the range is insane kuz u can plant the axes, walk away a little, and the wvw enemy is so focus on u running away supposedly, then u just recall the axes lol.

But even if the hitting behind walls and recall axe power coefficient were nerfed/fixed/tuned, the stealth attack mechanically does some craziness on its own.

• Thanks 1

I actually saw NUMBERS flash up in the middle of an enemy zerg today! Hallelujah! Some actually useful AoE damage that doesn't put you right up in the face of death. Can't quite figure out a rotation with Rifle, but the delayed damage has caught people right off guard. Not to mention you can stack 'em off to the side and coax players into running right passed them.

13 minutes ago, nosleepdemon.1368 said:

Some actually useful AoE damage that doesn't put you right up in the face of death.

The amount of cleave/aoe combo is so refreshing no matter where its used, regardless of how inconsistent it is. Probably the best axe kit in the game.

18 hours ago, kaylanvoos.8407 said:

Not just touched, axe pistol has been gutted.  No longer a viable weapon...

13 hours ago, Azure The Heartless.3261 said:

Lmao nerf speedran as usual

Gutted? Nerfed? They literally fixed the weapon to be in line with what its tooltip already stated, didn't they?

Have you played as a thief in wvw since the change, if so what is your rotation now for 1v1, or zergs ensuring your not getting 1 or 2 shotted.

Thieves have two defenses, stealth and mobility.  I'm not sure how this weapon now fits the class outside of PVE.

Gutted? Nerfed? They literally fixed the weapon to be in line with what its tooltip already stated, didn't they?

Edited by kaylanvoos.8407
  • Confused 1

scepter isn't exactly a rogue type weapon either but it works.  axe/pistol does solid damage without needing to go into stealth.  and rotations aren't a thing in this game, every skill is situational.  assuming you don't just mindlessly press keys on your keyboard.

• Confused 4

4 hours ago, kaylanvoos.8407 said:

Have you played as a thief in wvw since the change, if so what is your rotation now for 1v1, or zergs ensuring your not getting 1 or 2 shotted.

Thieves have two defenses, stealth and mobility.  I'm not sure how this weapon now fits the class outside of PVE.

A/D still feels fine comparing before and after the patch. I haven't played A/P much because I don't like running Bounding Dodger with all the cripple/immo/chill spam in WvW. You need some sort of reliable stealth access if you're running axe.

I've been having some success with A/D and S/D in small scale. Play it slow and try to set up 2 or 3 Cunning Salvo axes before using axe 3. Even though the A/D 3 doesn't have the damage buff that A/P 3 does it still pumps out damage. The burst can take people off guard. S/D mainly for more kiting potential and when melee is more appropriate.

For zergs? I just don't run axe. You're going to kill yourself with reflects or by teleporting into a boonball. It's a projectile weapon at the end of the day so you have to treat it as such.

A/P is somewhat similar but I just can't get into the playstyle (replace S/D with D/P) because of Bounding Dodger :/.

Edited by Eugenides.1274
  • Confused 1

On 3/3/2024 at 4:47 PM, Lightsbane.9012 said:

scepter isn't exactly a rogue type weapon either but it works.  axe/pistol does solid damage without needing to go into stealth.  and rotations aren't a thing in this game, every skill is situational.  assuming you don't just mindlessly press keys on your keyboard.

Axe/ Pistol = Axe has /had a burst setup for most classes except other thiefs, simply 1, 1, 1, 2 (all no target for setup),  5 (target enemy), bounding dodge, 1 (applies condition+Dmg on hit), 3 and usually target is dead or in big trouble and playing defensive if they ate the stealth attack and all the returned axe from 3. Steal, 5, 1, 1, 1, 2, bounding, 1, 3 and it should be game if 1vs1.

On 3/3/2024 at 7:10 PM, Eugenides.1274 said:

A/D still feels fine comparing before and after the patch. I haven't played A/P much because I don't like running Bounding Dodger with all the cripple/immo/chill spam in WvW. You need some sort of reliable stealth access if you're running axe.

I've been having some success with A/D and S/D in small scale. Play it slow and try to set up 2 or 3 Cunning Salvo axes before using axe 3. Even though the A/D 3 doesn't have the damage buff that A/P 3 does it still pumps out damage. The burst can take people off guard. S/D mainly for more kiting potential and when melee is more appropriate.

For zergs? I just don't run axe. You're going to kill yourself with reflects or by teleporting into a boonball. It's a projectile weapon at the end of the day so you have to treat it as such.

A/P is somewhat similar but I just can't get into the playstyle (replace S/D with D/P) because of Bounding Dodger :/.

RIP ranged traps:

For Zerg, I was running A/P, you can use bounding for the extra cleave or dash for the survival - in the Zerg you don't need stealth since we "had" 1,800 effective range.  The Play style was simple and effective, launch your axes (target, no target is reflect was in play) wait for a player to go out of position hit 3 and they were usually immobilized and easy food for the zerg.  You could play with your positioning and snipe the back line as well.  The Line of sight through walls/ objects was toxic and needed to be worked on but the range was ok imho. A/P is a PVE setup since 3 puts you in a bad position unless you're chasing down your target or your opposing match-up is AI stupid.  If it re positioned like the mirages utility skill with a 2 second cloak (chefs kiss).

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/28/2024 at 5:09 PM, Lithril Ashwalker.6230 said:

a/p is initiative heavy even with Trickery, so if anything all works well

the range btw is 1800 max FROM you, but ALWAYS 900 from the Stationary axes. if they fixed the recall on BOTH salvos (among fixing it where we expend malice on malicious cunning salvo) then the RECALLED versions of the stealth skills will not reveal us making good stealth combos as "reavers"

I'm now a liar because it's now nerfed. Hey anet, give us throwable preparations except shadow portal

5 hours ago, senftube.6081 said:

Bounding dodger is a cheese kitten and needs to be reworked. 

So does willbender and a bunch of other things that hit harder than thief while being as mobile and tanky asf. Just cause you or I don't like something isn't a reason to nerf it tho, and given bound wasn't even the reason axe pistol got changed it's kinda off topic don't you think?

Axe pistol got nerfed/fixed/whatever you want to call it. It was fun while it lasted, they went overboard in fixing it and now it's useless. That's pretty much the end of the thread. 

1 hour ago, Sobx.1758 said:

The tooltip should be updated because the skill did something that was not intended? What kind of logic is this?

If the intent of the skill was what we arrived at, they should have adjusted the intent of the skill instead of the skill. Its not hard to understand.  Sometimes you can succeed by accident, then 'correct' yourself into a failure.

You never heard of bugs turned feature?

Edited by Azure The Heartless.3261