Water attunement feels lacking

Phyrak.7260

Hey there,

Water attunement is a peculiar attunement.

Arguably a support focused attunement that has a rather strong trait in piercing shards and flow like water.

Strangely enough; few if any skills in water stance actually have vulnerability to benefit from piercing shards - but are healing focused to make use of flow like water.

Perhaps a future point that water could be camped to a similar effect that fire can be. Albeit with different methods of eroding foes.

Tempest is about as close to camping an element as we can get (yes I am an off meta player in that sense) and I think water attunement should have some ways to become a little more utilitarian in some senses with traits in order to become somewhat offensive.

For example:

- chills applying vulnerability to benefit from piercing shards.

- slow, cripple and blind as ways to reduce enemy damage; de-buffing to reduce damage taken as a parallel to healing.

- perhaps with a conjure rework, water can become offensive in some sense.

- offensive/utilitarian water overload could become a blizzard to apply the above soft cc; perhaps with increased damage against soft cc foes?

Just some thoughts on making water attunement a little more interesting.

What are your thoughts on how water plays?

On the contrary, how could we make other attunements more supportive - see fire or air?

What future weapons would work well for offensive water or supportive air/fire?

Thank you for reading,

-Phyrak 

• Thanks 1

Removing Soothing Power and buffing the default healing of Soothing Mists would be the first thing I change.

That leaves an open Grandmaster slot, which could be used for an offensive trait alongside Piercing Shards and Flow like Water. It could be something like Critical hits have a 50% chance to apply Vulnerability for 3 seconds. That way, we wouldn't have to rely on Vapor Blade alone to apply the Vulnerability.

I'd also lower the Threshold of Flow like Water from 75% to 50% or 60%.

Adding a small enemy pushback or just interrupt to Cleansing Wave with minimal damage and a chance at triggering the new Grandmaster trait would be neat, too.

Reducing the cast time of Transmute Frost to 0,25 seconds is something I'd like to see, too.

There likely also things on other weapons that can be adjusted to fit my ideas, but I like Dagger/Dagger most.

Doing these changes doesn't take anything away from anyone and improves the offensive potential of the Water attunement.

Edited by Fueki.4753
  • Like 2

43 minutes ago, Fueki.4753 said:

Removing Soothing Power and buffing the default healing of Soothing Mists would be the first thing I change.

That leaves an open Grandmaster slot, which could be used for an offensive trait alongside Piercing Shards and Flow like Water. It could be something like Critical hits have a 50% chance to apply Vulnerability for 3 seconds. That way, we wouldn't have to rely on Vapor Blade alone to apply the Vulnerability.

I'd also lower the Threshold of Flow like Water from 75% to 50% or 60%.

Adding a small enemy pushback or just interrupt to Cleansing Wave with minimal damage and a chance at triggering the new Grandmaster trait would be neat, too.

Reducing the cast time of Transmute Frost to 0,25 seconds is something I'd like to see, too.

There likely also things on other weapons that can be adjusted to fit my ideas, but I like Dagger/Dagger most).

Doing these changes doesn't take anything away from anyone and improves the offensive potential of the Water attunement.

Well said!

The mechanics of the vapor blades themselves need a buff or tweak - perhaps remove the return and up the speed?

Perhaps a trait that grants strength when applying vuln or chill too?

Further making sure that water can become offensive in some sense?

1 hour ago, Phyrak.7260 said:

The mechanics of the vapor blades themselves need a buff or tweak - perhaps remove the return and up the speed?

The returning Blade can be used to trigger the Sigil of Frailty, which requires hitting an enemy from behind or the sides.

Perhaps a trait that grants strength when applying vuln or chill too?

Piercing Shards already increases the damage done to vulnerable targets, on top of the increased damage from the condition itself, so I think the focus should be on applying more Vulnerability.

Further making sure that water can become offensive in some sense?

Given that Water's main role is healing, having one offensive trait in each column would be sufficient for Water itself.

If you use Air as your second trait line, you get decent amounts of critical hits chance from Zephyr's Speed and Raging Storm. With Air, you also get more (critical) damage from Ferocious Winds, Raging Storm, Aeromancer's Training and Bolt to the Heart.

Those bonuses should apply even outside of Air, making for a neat increase of the damage from Piercing Shards and Flow like Water, as well as provide fine amounts of Vulnerability from my idea for a new Grandmaster trait.

Edited by Fueki.4753
  • Like 1

On 2/29/2024 at 8:48 PM, Fueki.4753 said:

The returning Blade can be used to trigger the Sigil of Frailty, which requires hitting an enemy from behind or the sides.

Piercing Shards already increases the damage done to vulnerable targets, on top of the increased damage from the condition itself, so I think the focus should be on applying more Vulnerability.

Given that Water's main role is healing, having one offensive trait in each column would be sufficient for Water itself.

If you use Air as your second trait line, you get decent amounts of critical hits chance from Zephyr's Speed and Raging Storm. With Air, you also get more (critical) damage from Ferocious Winds, Raging Storm, Aeromancer's Training and Bolt to the Heart.

Those bonuses should apply even outside of Air, making for a neat increase of the damage from Piercing Shards and Flow like Water, as well as provide fine amounts of Vulnerability from my idea for a new Grandmaster trait.

Perhaps adding necro sword logic to the blades to make them have stronger usability and not being destroyed by the terrain would help 

Some good ideas here too!

It'd be also making it viable to somehow camp water in an offensive sense too

not being destroyed by the terrain would help

This issue persists in general across all profession though. And since this kind of issue has never been addressed, I doubt it'll ever be fixed.

However, my ideas are the types of things that the current professions team has proven to be able to do. They just need to want to improve DPS on Water.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Fueki.4753 said:

This issue persists in general across all profession though. And since this kind of issue has never been addressed, I doubt it'll ever be fixed.

However, my ideas are the types of things that the current professions team has proven to be able to do. They just need to want to improve DPS on Water.

All about making noise to get it fixed - squeaky wheel etc.

Also upping the ease of application in boosting water attunement damage

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Jski.6180 said:

Stop drop and roll needs to apply Resistance and Resolution and not clear burns / chills. Its an support trait line with out any real boon support its odd that its missing these things.

Fair call,

Some form of offense and greater utility in support; such would increase general viability.

This is a weapon design problem and not necessarily a trait problem (though the traits could use updating)

They gave each element a general theme and it’s caused every weapon to be some sort of hybrid. They should move away from this concept imo.

water traitline is one of the worst traitlines in game, so outdated. i remember gw2 changed the traits that provide cooldown reduction on some specific skills. one of the lucky trait was soothing disruption that give cooldown reduction and some weak vigor and regen on cantrip skills. anet delete the cd reduction component of trait. and left the trait like this with some kitten regen and vigor. this is one of the example how bad water traitline is.

• Confused 1

3 hours ago, Downstate.4697 said:

This is a weapon design problem and not necessarily a trait problem (though the traits could use updating)

They gave each element a general theme and it’s caused every weapon to be some sort of hybrid. They should move away from this concept imo.

A holistic issue

Having both be updated with intent and focus would increase viability and strength of overlooked skills and traits.

3 hours ago, RaveOnYou.2819 said:

water traitline is one of the worst traitlines in game, so outdated. i remember gw2 changed the traits that provide cooldown reduction on some specific skills. one of the lucky trait was soothing disruption that give cooldown reduction and some weak vigor and regen on cantrip skills. anet delete the cd reduction component of trait. and left the trait like this with some kitten regen and vigor. this is one of the example how bad water traitline is.

Let alone the longer cooldowns some cantrips have equal to elite/ultimate abilities - looking at something like pyro puissance applying across the board would make the like of vapor blades a somewhat useful auto

Though, water trait line itself would need its down generator in that case in lieu of using fire to have some stand alone strength as opposed to relying on fire

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/6/2024 at 6:41 PM, Downstate.4697 said:

It's way too late to move away from such a fundamental class design. And everytime they introduce a new weapon to Ele, the skill design is even more unimaginative crap. So changing it for new weapons is also off the charts