Jump to content
  • Sign Up

Open mastery farming to all maps.


Recommended Posts

As off now there are some zones that are basically empty, why not open the exp farming to all maps so everyone can farm wherever they want? To put an example, The silverwastes it's a map that I enjoyed a lot farming, but as of now, I get nothing from going there aside of farming because "Why not?". Why do we not allow the players to farm wherever they want with a penalty, let's say of the 25-50% of the EXP when farming outside of the original expansion? It would be a good reason to both veterans and newbies to populate the old maps. Also would make farming more enjoyable.

You may say "OMG, losing half of the exp it's too much", look it from the other side, it's more time doing something you like when playing the game.

Edited by Renegated.4132
  • Confused 11
  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Because then players will go only to the maps that give the best xp rather than keeping them to the assigned areas. It will only lead to emptier maps in their respective zones.

I mean Silverwastes gives so much back already and is pretty well populated (I've been there daily for the last couple of weeks and it's had a strong population), but adding in mastery xp for say PoF only encourages players not to go to PoF and stack in Silverwastes which is lucrative enough. All that is happening is taking away from one to give to another.

Empty maps will still remain empty (not that are many) because once you open up everything in this way, people will just gravitate to 1-2 maps

  • Like 7
  • Thanks 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Randulf.7614 said:

Because then players will go only to the maps that give the best xp rather than keeping them to the assigned areas. It will only lead to emptier maps in their respective zones.

I mean Silverwastes gives so much back already and is pretty well populated (I've been there daily for the last couple of weeks and it's had a strong population), but adding in mastery xp for say PoF only encourages players not to go to PoF and stack in Silverwastes which is lucrative enough. All that is happening is taking away from one to give to another.

Empty maps will still remain empty (not that are many) because once you open up everything in this way, people will just gravitate to 1-2 maps

The thing is that, as of now, you recieve nothing from farming maps where you've already cleared the masteries, you are farming just because "Why not?". Also, if people gravitates those 2 or 3 maps, it means those have something people enjoys doing. Bounties for example, are probably one of the best ways to level up masteries in general, but instead of fixing it with the feedback they got, it happened the same it hapenned with the raids, people complaining + elitists being themselves = discontinuation of it. And the excuse of "We have no trinity" doesn't work here, the entire W2 works fine without trinity, and W4 almost the same.

I can understant that not every map can be like silverwastes, but it wouldn't be that bad to have that small spot on every expansion, let's say the last map of it, where you're secured a good relation between effort/reward.

  • Confused 9
  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, DeanBB.4268 said:

You always get something. If (for example) you're in Silverwastes and your Core masteries are either finished or stuck, your XP goes towards spirit shards.

The thing is that Spirit Shards are mostly meant to buy materials that allow you to get legendaries. To someone like me that doesn't care about having legendaries it's like giving me nothing xD

As of now I have 2292 there getting dust, and probably they will remain there for the centuries of the centuries, amen.

  • Confused 6
  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Renegated.4132 said:

The thing is that, as of now, you recieve nothing from farming maps where you've already cleared the masteries, you are farming just because "Why not?". Also, if people gravitates those 2 or 3 maps, it means those have something people enjoys doing. Bounties for example, are probably one of the best ways to level up masteries in general, but instead of fixing it with the feedback they got, it happened the same it hapenned with the raids, people complaining + elitists being themselves = discontinuation of it. And the excuse of "We have no trinity" doesn't work here, the entire W2 works fine without trinity, and W4 almost the same.

I can understant that not every map can be like silverwastes, but it wouldn't be that bad to have that small spot on every expansion, let's say the last map of it, where you're secured a good relation between effort/reward.

This is somewhat contradictory though. If you are farming because "why not" then surely you still getting loot? If you are doing it becasue you like it, then surely that's the reason? It would be very unhealthy for the game for players to sit in Silverwastes every day and just get all the masteries in all expansions just by doing the same events over and over and over. Which is exactly what would happen. It's not only unhealthy for the game, but it would be poor design. And it's not like you don't get spirit shards anyway which have value for legendaries or converting into gold (for those who are into that sort of thing).

As a side note, bounties were discontinued not because of whiners, but because Anet felt they didn't fit any more and the newer teams chose not to keep them in that form. It's a decision I disagree with, but they did at least take the mechanics and roll them into champs and rifts. It was nothing to do with elitism or antyhing like that.

If you are choosing to farm maps, then your reward is either:

  • a) the loot you choose to farm for
  • b) the enjoyment you get out of it

Adding in mastery xp for other zones is just going to hurt other areas of the game just so people can essentially squat in one place. That's not really in the spirit of GW2

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I will also add, this is one reason they added specific map rewards to core zones that cycle weekly. It allows people to still get rewarded in less populated zones. Whether it is shiny baubles or lodestones, some can be quite lucrative

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Mastery points and XP should be earned and applied in the expansion where they originated. If I want EoD masteries, then I need to play EoD, and so on. The idea being that you have "mastered" the associated content by playing it. There's no good reason to change that for PvE, and the other game modes have their own functional systems.

I would rather see an onscreen notification that a mastery has been filled and is available to be completed (best option). I'm thinking put the icon of whatever mastery you just finished over in the jiggling loot roll like it's a mastery point, loot box etc. That way you will at least NOTICE it when it finishes. I doubt I'm the only one who doesn't always notice when that slender yellow bar fills up.

  • Like 7
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Op is a little all over the place but there's an underlying idea I can maybe get behind. The reason masteries require xp to be farmed in the maps they're associated with is bc devs want players in those maps. It both makes the game appear healthy to have a lot of players active in new areas, and it exposes new players to that content over a period so they get enough exposure to it to decide whether any of it is worth working into their routines after the shine has worn off . . .

But for a new player who is catching up on old content, it's maybe a little burdensome for them to grind that xp in low pop areas the rest of the player base has abandoned. So for older content only I could see the argument that more paths to mastery xp might be beneficial. The idea of expanding that to new content not only works against the goals mentioned above, but it would also flood already well-populated maps with players trying to min/max their xp gains, likely to the frustration of players who are regularly there doing content they already enjoy. We do not need solutions to the "problem" of making attractive maps more attractive . . .

What any of this has to do with raids and bounties I've got no idea ; p

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, Teknomancer.4895 said:

I would rather see an onscreen notification that a mastery has been filled and is available to be completed (best option). I'm thinking put the icon of whatever mastery you just finished over in the jiggling loot roll like it's a mastery point, loot box etc. That way you will at least NOTICE it when it finishes. I doubt I'm the only one who doesn't always notice when that slender yellow bar fills up.

This would be fantastic.

  • Like 2
  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
23 minutes ago, Gop.8713 said:

Op is a little all over the place but there's an underlying idea I can maybe get behind. The reason masteries require xp to be farmed in the maps they're associated with is bc devs want players in those maps. It both makes the game appear healthy to have a lot of players active in new areas, and it exposes new players to that content over a period so they get enough exposure to it to decide whether any of it is worth working into their routines after the shine has worn off . . .

But for a new player who is catching up on old content, it's maybe a little burdensome for them to grind that xp in low pop areas the rest of the player base has abandoned. So for older content only I could see the argument that more paths to mastery xp might be beneficial. The idea of expanding that to new content not only works against the goals mentioned above, but it would also flood already well-populated maps with players trying to min/max their xp gains, likely to the frustration of players who are regularly there doing content they already enjoy. We do not need solutions to the "problem" of making attractive maps more attractive . . .

What any of this has to do with raids and bounties I've got no idea ; p

The raid comment came to surface because those where discontinued due to the fact of some people complaining about no trinity (Actually we have a better system, with the correct build you can fill 2 of 3 slots but w/e) plus people not playing it because elitists, something that as of now, still persists (Just wiped one time on HT and half of the squad left, jokes on them, the next try was boss down). Something similar happened to the bounties, people had complains of not being rewarding enough (and it's a fact on certain combinations of skills on the mobs) and ANet instead of fixing it, decided to discontinue it, because yeah, on the icebrood saga it has no place, but on a region that's under militar dictatorship with multiple organizations fighting each other? Why would we want to put price to the head of those who are in charge of those organizations?

And when it comes to Nayos more or less happens the same, we are trying to do a coup d'etat and magnicide by taking down the current king, why would we put price to the head of Eparch's generals? xD

It wouldn't be that hard to make a poll and ask players about some issues, like for example opening Nayos to bounties, change the raid system so it works somehow similar to fractals (3-4 tiers of difficulty so people can learn at their own pace), import raids from GW1 so they're playable in GW2 if they don't want to add new ones...

Edited by Renegated.4132
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 7
Link to comment
Share on other sites

No?

I mean, "mastery" means to have mastered something. Those masteries are for those areas because they usually support the content of that area. So the idea is that you "master" it. If that means I'm spending time I normally wouldn't in Seitung Province doing each and every event the map can possibly offer... Well then, that's what I'm doing. And I'm knocking out a bunch of interesting lore driven achievements along the way. Which means I'm actually mastering the map as well. Like, it makes sense.

Let alone the fact that it would drive engagement in those exact maps down to nothing by not making anyone actually do it. Do you have any idea how hard some of those events would be if literally no one had a reason to be on those maps? Achievements would be harder to accomplish, less popular metas would be empty, and normally fun group events would become a slog.

It's balanced the way it is for many reasons, and Silverwastes doesn't exactly struggle to get engagement. Find an LFG, it's still popular to this day, as is.

Also, side note, you can turn those shards into material upgrades and sell them.... For gold. There's dozens of things to spend those shards on, and there's even players that will "buy" those shards from you if you know where to look. 

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...