Alacrity Spellbreaker is my biggest wish in Gw2 right now.

DanAlcedo.3281

Could you imagine something like this but with Alacrity?

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?PKwEkEmpsA2F7j5xIxk76+1D-DSJYqRHfhkaBUdIkeGo7FhgIA1hyeI8BA-e

Also add Immobilize to all on CC trigger traits and we are golden.

As in Attackers Insight/Body Blow/Merciless Hammer also triggering on Immob.

Like Opportinist does.

The dream.ūüėĒ

Edited by DanAlcedo.3281
  • Like 4
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, DanAlcedo.3281 said:

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?PKwEkEmpsA2F7j5xIxk76+1D-DSJYqRHfhkaBUdIkeGo7FhgIA1hyeI8BA-e

Also add Immobilize to all on CC trigger traits and we are golden.

As in Attackers Insight/Body Blow/Merciless Hammer also triggering on Immob.

Like Opportinist does.

The dream.ūüėĒ

This was something I threw together making a lot of assumptions of some dream changes for Warrior. Namely Alacrity on Spellbreaker, potentially on Magebane Tether (just in PvE) as well as maybe Fast Hands just becoming a part of Warrior's profession mechanic baseline.

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?PKwAgeFlFwOYUsJWJO+K3veA-DSJYzRH/hEnQoWFQFyAZeWIIhxe4to/ZEA-e
You can way overcap crit chance on bosses due to Unsuspecting Foe but Dragon is the only stat set with the most Ferocity, you can also substitute Bull's Charge in place of Signet of Might as well as substitute Signet Mastery in place of Opportunist for more Ferocity which could send you over 300% critical damage. Dual Wielding kind of just in there...cuz, but Burst Precision likely more ideal.

Now if you were to go a different route, assuming they allow this dream Alacrity to pulse to allies while Magebane is tethered to an enemy, this build could be something;

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?PKwAgeFlFwOYUsJWJO+K2veA-DSJYwRH/hEnQoWFQFyAZeWIIhxe4to/ZEA-e

Opening with using all Signets to get the stacking Ferocity for 60 seconds, just always critting, Kick and Disrupting Stab keeping Attacker's Insight up.

Really this is just me wanting to see Arms used in Power builds just because of the sheer amount of Crit chance and Ferocity it can build, as well as just wanting to see it as a viable option for group Alacrity while also just putting out damage.

17 minutes ago, KryTiKaL.3125 said:

This was something I threw together making a lot of assumptions of some dream changes for Warrior. Namely Alacrity on Spellbreaker, potentially on Magebane Tether (just in PvE) as well as maybe Fast Hands just becoming a part of Warrior's profession mechanic baseline.

Just ween yourself off of Discipline slowly. Become disciplineless. Create the Undisciplined school of Warrioring.

2 hours ago, StraightPath.3972 said:

Sorry but there's a good reason why SB doesn't have alacrity.
That reason being spvp.

It's already a very good bunker/sidenoder spec.
Give him 20% cd reduction on everything and it would become too much.

They don't have to have it there, splits exist for a reason. Alacrity on Spellbreaker is more of a PvE discussion.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, StraightPath.3972 said:

That reason being spvp.

Have you ever heard of Gamemode based balance or skill splitting? 

It's a pretty nice system they introduced many years ago. 

You should check in out. ūüĎć

• Confused 2

15 hours ago, StraightPath.3972 said:

That reason being spvp.

Even without skill splitting, I feel like there's still plenty of ways this can be implemented without being broken in PvP. For example, something like:

Replace 'Revenge Counter' with a new trait, 'Counter Enchantment':

Full Counter no longer blocks/evades or deals damage. Instead, it has a 1/2 sec cast and executes on its own (doesn't require being hit to activate). It now applies alacrity and heals nearby allies.

Implementing it that way would force you to trade damage for support by giving up magebane tether, losing full counter as a damaging ability, and forcing you to spend adrenaline on a non-damaging bursts. Which is necessary for PVE balance. And this resolves the skill usage problem as a support/boon skill, since it no longer requires being hit to activate.

On the PvP side, taking the alacrity trait would mean losing block and damage on full counter, which would significantly impact the build's bunker/side-node performance.

I am personnaly fine with bladesworn giving alacrity , problem with bladesworn as alac brings two things , burst and alacrity , that's all , cannot count the 3 sec stability who randomly appears and the 3 might upkeep , also the lack of cc ... your only worth cc is an ammo who need 45 sec to recharge to his full potential 200 dmg breakbar .... and the imo from axe , that's even worse cc than the whole ele class has , if bladesworn stays like this , i would certainly prefer going spellbreaker , would give me a reason to play this class over bladesworn or zerk.

is it my only feeling ? but does the alacrity support dps has way less efficient options than quickness dps or is it alacrity healers are far more efficient than quickness healers ? Anyway i don't see why anet couldn't give two option of alacrity for warriors in pve , they are certainly wasted traits who aren't used in this gamemode who could provide a fun option for spellbreaker as alac provider.

• Thanks 1

On 3/14/2024 at 9:37 PM, StraightPath.3972 said:

That reason being spvp.

And considering latest balance decisions AN have made included flat out removing alacrity for sPvP and WvW from traits that provide alacrity in PvE for alot of specs out there, why is that somehow blocking spellbreaker from having PvE alac?

On 3/14/2024 at 4:43 AM, DanAlcedo.3281 said:

Uh yeah easily, it's literally just exactly how Quickness Berserker plays except worse because your burst CDs are longer and you have no ability to full counter on demand due to a total lack of adrenaline gain without the Defense traitline causing it to compete for a scarce resource with your actual burst skill. 

I'm really not being facetious - look at the Heal Quickness Berserker build for PVE, then look back at your build. You're probably leaving out a whole slew of other changes in mind to be making this thread. 

Edited by Jzaku.9765

22 minutes ago, Jzaku.9765 said:

Uh yeah easily, it's literally just exactly how Quickness Berserker plays except worse because your burst CDs are longer and you have no ability to full counter on demand due to a total lack of adrenaline gain without the Defense traitline causing it to compete for a scarce resource with your actual burst skill. 

I'm really not being facetious - look at the Heal Quickness Berserker build for PVE, then look back at your build. You're probably leaving out a whole slew of other changes in mind to be making this thread. 

"whispers"

(The idea is to keep up the alac spb threads so the idea of it spreads around more. With more people wanting it, the more you see it talked about and the higher chance we have to get it some day. We never ever get what we want anyway, so making exact suggestions is pointless.) 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

35 minutes ago, Jzaku.9765 said:

The build's not far off something I've used in sPvP. Adrenaline is a limited resource but not so limited that you're starving for it. Burst Mastery and Versatile Rage goes a fair way, and you have "To The Limit!" in a pinch.

I'm not sure what the OP views as the precise means of obtaining alacrity - I suspect that's being left to the devs to decide - but if it was to be linked to burst skills (or Full Counter), the duration of alacrity applied can be normalised according to how often you get to burst (or counter).

2 hours ago, draxynnic.3719 said:

The build's not far off something I've used in sPvP. Adrenaline is a limited resource but not so limited that you're starving for it. Burst Mastery and Versatile Rage goes a fair way, and you have "To The Limit!" in a pinch.

I'm not sure what the OP views as the precise means of obtaining alacrity - I suspect that's being left to the devs to decide - but if it was to be linked to burst skills (or Full Counter), the duration of alacrity applied can be normalised according to how often you get to burst (or counter).

I mean OP has already admitted this thread is essentially a psyop for the gullible, but just for the sake of discussion:

I'm not sure if you've watched the Balance Patch preview stream, but it was clear to me that, recently or no, they consider Alacrity to be extremely unhealthy for competitive game modes. Here's some excerpts from the upcoming balance patch:

• Lucid Singularity: This trait now applies might instead of alacrity in PvP and WvW.
  • Desert Empowerment: This trait now grants vigor instead of alacrity in PvP and WvW.
  • Grace of the Land: This trait now applies might instead of alacrity in WvW and PvP.

So whatever your thoughts are on this hypothetical Alacrity Spellbreaker in competitive game modes, I would seriously temper expectations, if not kill them outright.

As for PVE, providing Alacrity is the baseline expectation. It's literally the starting line of a support build. And as previously mentioned, Spellbreaker is real close to being just a worse Berserker, which already isn't great. 

Edited by Jzaku.9765

7 minutes ago, Lan Deathrider.5910 said:

Put Alacrity on Magebane Tether then. Let it pulse 2s of alacrity every second. After boon duration inflates the duration, you will end up with enough alacrity that you have breathing room to reapply the alacrity if you whiff or have to do mechanics.

You confidently resolved nothing. The strength of a Support build is everything else you can do other than providing your boon.

In raids this is actually being able to do miscellaneous mechanics (Pushing, Kiting, Immob, CC, etc) which are all expectations piled on the Healer so the DPS can just faceroll. If at any point in your clears you need to swap builds just because your Support build can't handle a specific mechanic that's expected of you, playrate tanks. 

In Strike CMs this is essentially hard carry ability. Cerus CM recently showcased the combination of Druid's raw healing output, long duration aoe immobilize, and essentially its deep toolbox of tricks - and Scourge's high Barrier output (reducing lethal strikes that happen every few seconds to recoverable ones in the final phase), and res/recovery potential, both of which were mandatory for completing the encounter. 

Point is, if you actually believe yourself to be contributing towards Support warrior with suggestions, contribute towards improving Warrior's toolbox of tricks it has access to. Warrior is debatably the most vanilla class in the game with no utility outside CC (which nowadays pales in comparison to Mesmer/Ranger) - it's support build has very good healing throughput, but we've had ~8 years proving that healing throughput is a pretty small part of what makes a good Support build. A good chunk of those 8 years, Druid was arguably the least effective at actually healing but still indisputably the strongest support build. 

43 minutes ago, Jzaku.9765 said:

You confidently resolved nothing. The strength of a Support build is everything else you can do other than providing your boon.

You nitpicked over a small detail; I proposed a way around that specific issue. You then move goal posts in the below quote \/

In raids this is actually being able to do miscellaneous mechanics (Pushing, Kiting, Immob, CC, etc) which are all expectations piled on the Healer so the DPS can just faceroll. If at any point in your clears you need to swap builds just because your Support build can't handle a specific mechanic that's expected of you, playrate tanks. 

In Strike CMs this is essentially hard carry ability. Cerus CM recently showcased the combination of Druid's raw healing output, long duration aoe immobilize, and essentially its deep toolbox of tricks - and Scourge's high Barrier output (reducing lethal strikes that happen every few seconds to recoverable ones in the final phase), and res/recovery potential, both of which were mandatory for completing the encounter. 

/\ Said goal posts. We'll leave that there and not address it further.

Point is, if you actually believe yourself to be contributing towards Support warrior with suggestions, contribute towards improving Warrior's toolbox of tricks it has access to. Warrior is debatably the most vanilla class in the game with no utility outside CC (which nowadays pales in comparison to Mesmer/Ranger) - it's support build has very good healing throughput, but we've had ~8 years proving that healing throughput is a pretty small part of what makes a good Support build. A good chunk of those 8 years, Druid was arguably the least effective at actually healing but still indisputably the strongest support build. 

If you spend time looking through the long arc of my post history, you will find said contributions. I do not have to regurgitate a long list of my potential fixes every time support changes are discussed, especially about a very targeted application of one aspect of the whole. We can discuss individual aspects of what will cement a great support role for warrior in isolation of other fixes. There is a greater likelihood that one or more of those fixes discussed in isolation gets ported to the live game than some 15-20 or longer bulleted list of changes with 5 forum pages of discussion on each bullet supporting why those changes are needed. You are of course free to disagree on that, but I've seen some targeted discussions, both buffs and nerfs, make it into the live game, and I've seen long bulleted lists with dozens of pages of commentary left to rot, so I've seen this process play out before in real time and I know which tack I'm going to take.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Jzaku.9765 said:

I mean OP has already admitted this thread is essentially a psyop for the gullible,

That's a misrepresentation so gross as to be almost obscene. OP is trying to raise support to (further) pressure ArenaNet to make a change that seems to have broad support among the warrior playerbase, along with at least two content creators who have independently tried warrior support and come to the conclusion that it would feel much better on spellbreaker instead of bladesworn. Of course, a dedicated support elite spec might be better than either, but that's not in the foreseeable future. Open and acknowledged advocacy is not a psyop.

but just for the sake of discussion:

I'm not sure if you've watched the Balance Patch preview stream, but it was clear to me that, recently or no, they consider Alacrity to be extremely unhealthy for competitive game modes. Here's some excerpts from the upcoming balance patch:

So whatever your thoughts are on this hypothetical Alacrity Spellbreaker in competitive game modes, I would seriously temper expectations, if not kill them outright.

Like people have already said, the response to this is a PvE/competitive split. The response was to make builds that generate quickness or alacrity in PvE provide some other boon in competitive. You're objecting to the idea by raising a problem as an insurmountable barrier when that problem has already been solved.

As for PVE, providing Alacrity is the baseline expectation. It's literally the starting line of a support build. And as previously mentioned, Spellbreaker is real close to being just a worse Berserker, which already isn't great. 

By that argument, all of warrior is a worse berserker. Core is berserker with less access to bursts. Spellbreaker is berserker with weaker bursts and a second, defensive burst. Bladesworn is a berserker that takes several seconds to channel their burst.

However, those differences are significant in actual gameplay. Berserker takes pretty high APM to do your job while also maintaining berserk mode - for many, spellbreaker being more relaxed makes it better than berserker rather than worse. You claim in a later post that it's important for supports to do mechanics: can a berserker, who is dependent on constantly bursting while spamming their utilities to maintain their rage, do mechanics? Depends on the mechanic in question, but I'd imagine that any mechanic that a healzerker could do, a healbreaker could also do. What about healsworn, which takes several seconds of charging in place to perform their alacrity-granting burst, cannot bring a second weaponset for dealing with mechanics, and is often locked into gunsaber after a dragon slash and unable to use their staff for healing, let alone something else that they might perform a mechanic with? I'm pretty certain that there's no mechanic healsworn can do that wouldn't be more convenient on healbreaker.

And that's the comparison we're looking at here. Unless you're being contrarian for the sake of being contrarian, the argument that you're trying to make is that the current status quo is better. If you want to be taken seriously here, you need to demonstrate that the supposed problems you're raising over the idea of alacrity healbreaker are actually lessened by having healsworn instead. You can't just keep throwing problems at the wall that are just as bad, if not worse, with the current healsworn.

Edited by draxynnic.3719
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, draxynnic.3719 said:

That's a misrepresentation so gross as to be almost obscene. OP is trying to raise support to (further) pressure ArenaNet to make a change that seems to have broad support among the warrior playerbase, along with at least two content creators who have independently tried warrior support and come to the conclusion that it would feel much better on spellbreaker instead of bladesworn. Of course, a dedicated support elite spec might be better than either, but that's not in the foreseeable future. Open and acknowledged advocacy is not a psyop.

Like people have already said, the response to this is a PvE/competitive split. The response was to make builds that generate quickness or alacrity in PvE provide some other boon in competitive. You're objecting to the idea by raising a problem as an insurmountable barrier when that problem has already been solved.

By that argument, all of warrior is a worse berserker. Core is berserker with less access to bursts. Spellbreaker is berserker with weaker bursts and a second, defensive burst. Bladesworn is a berserker that takes several seconds to channel their burst.

However, those differences are significant in actual gameplay. Berserker takes pretty high APM to do your job while also maintaining berserk mode - for many, spellbreaker being more relaxed makes it better than berserker rather than worse. You claim in a later post that it's important for supports to do mechanics: can a berserker, who is dependent on constantly bursting while spamming their utilities to maintain their rage, do mechanics? Depends on the mechanic in question, but I'd imagine that any mechanic that a healzerker could do, a healbreaker could also do. What about healsworn, which takes several seconds of charging in place to perform their alacrity-granting burst, cannot bring a second weaponset for dealing with mechanics, and is often locked into gunsaber after a dragon slash and unable to use their staff for healing, let alone something else that they might perform a mechanic with? I'm pretty certain that there's no mechanic healsworn can do that wouldn't be more convenient on healbreaker.

And that's the comparison we're looking at here. Unless you're being contrarian for the sake of being contrarian, the argument that you're trying to make is that the current status quo is better. If you want to be taken seriously here, you need to demonstrate that the supposed problems you're raising over the idea of alacrity healbreaker are actually lessened by having healsworn instead. You can't just keep throwing problems at the wall that are just as bad, if not worse, with the current healsworn.

Playing devil's advocate a bit: you don't actually have to charge dragon slash to get the alacrity...

1 hour ago, Leo G.4501 said:

Playing devil's advocate a bit: you don't actually have to charge dragon slash to get the alacrity...

True, in heal gear you're not doing damage anyway so you can fire it off pretty much immediately. But that's still a delay that you wouldn't have with spellbreaker, a potential to be disrupted that you wouldn't have with spellbreaker, an additional DPS loss that you wouldn't have with spellbreaker, and a forced swap away from your support set that you wouldn't have with spellbreaker.

This could be a good rework: 

Weapon skills

Breaching Strike  (Burst skill)

-> Additional inflict daze for 1/2 second if your target has no boons.

= Better synergy with spellbreaker traits

Keen Strike  (Dagger skill 1 - 3rd chain skill)

-> Deal 15 % increased critical-hit damage.

= Deal increased damage like the chain skills before, not only one stack more might what is (nearly) useless if you have boon supporters in your team and no traits that benefit from getting the might boon.

Bladestorm  (Dagger skill 5)

-> Grant quickness for 5 seconds instead of barrier. 

= Better to compete with offhand axe.

Heal, Elite and Utility skills

Sight beyond Sight

-> Reduce ammunition cooldown from 20 to 15 seconds.

= Better usability, not only for stealth counters.

Imminent Thread

-> Grant stability instead of resolution. Reduce cooldown from 35 to 30 seconds.

= Better usability and useful source of stability.

Traits

No Escape  (Adept Trait)

-> Additional meditation skills grant superspeed for 3 seconds.

= Finally a trait to improve meditation skills.

Sun and Moon Style  (Master Trait)

-> Additional "Boons and conditions from dagger skills last 50 % longer."

= Better to compete with Loss Aversion trait.

Attacker's Insight  (Grandmaster Trait)

-> Change buff to "Attacker's Insight (3s): 150 Power, 150 Precision, 150 Ferocity" without stacks.

= Not bound to many CCs and Boon Removals anymore to get it's full potential.

Enchantment Collapse  (Grandmaster Trait)

-> Additional cast "Break Enchantments" on critical hits with 15 seconds cooldown.

= Better usability and more worthy as a grandmaster trait. Synergy with the new No Escape trait. 

Revenge Counter  (Grandmaster Trait)

-> Change effect to "Your burst skills grant alacrity. Boons granted by your burst skills will be shared to nearby allies. You can activate your Full Counter without being hit, but with lesser effectiveness." The Full Counter chain skill would be called "Early Counter" and would just do damage and daze to nearby enemies. So there is no stability, evasion or unblock ability anymore. 

= Alacrity group support and other boons to share available for Spellbreakers. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, draxynnic.3719 said:

My perspective is that I would rather the community rally around something that actually makes Warrior good, rather than a shallow change that slaps Alacrity on Spellbreaker and calls it a day - because "Spellbreaker with Alacrity" would be just as mediocre of a build as "Berserker with Quickness". 

Would it be a positive change over Bladesworn? PROBABLY. But the pressure is being applied on a (imo) completely irrelevant change in the grand scheme of things, because "Spellbreaker with Alacrity" will be just as unplayed as "Berserker with Quickness" is NOW because Warrior's support shell is pathetic. 

In a perfect world we can have both, but looking at the current situation where Warrior gets 0 PVE patch notes in a quarterly balance patch, I would rather the pressure be applied on slapping more utility, team support oriented traits and weapon skills on Warrior than "Spellbreaker with Alacrity". Like, mount some kitten pressure about Ranger Mace 3 vs Warrior Mace 3 or something. 

Edited by Jzaku.9765

6 hours ago, Jzaku.9765 said:

My perspective is that I would rather the community rally around something that actually makes Warrior good, rather than a shallow change that slaps Alacrity on Spellbreaker and calls it a day - because "Spellbreaker with Alacrity" would be just as mediocre of a build as "Berserker with Quickness". 

Would it be a positive change over Bladesworn? PROBABLY. But the pressure is being applied on a (imo) completely irrelevant change in the grand scheme of things, because "Spellbreaker with Alacrity" will be just as unplayed as "Berserker with Quickness" is NOW because Warrior's support shell is pathetic. 

In a perfect world we can have both, but looking at the current situation where Warrior gets 0 PVE patch notes in a quarterly balance patch, I would rather the pressure be applied on slapping more utility, team support oriented traits and weapon skills on Warrior than "Spellbreaker with Alacrity". Like, mount some kitten pressure about Ranger Mace 3 vs Warrior Mace 3 or something. 

We've all seen what gets delivered at the quarterly balance patches.... The scope is limited, and we should make suggestion within that scope if we want to hold any expectation of them actually making it into the game.

Any individual suggestion could be reduced to "just slap X capability on Y skill/trait/spec". It takes a collection of changes to make a meaningful impact. But Anet doesn't listen to long intricate post listing collections of changes. They cherry-pick popular individual suggestions.

Warrior's support shell isn't nearly as bad as you are making it out to be, and could be resolved with just a few changes.

The by-far more critical issue for support warrior is, like others have pointed out, the fact that Berserker and Bladesworn are fundamentally unsuitable for the gameplay required of a functional support spec. 

This won't be resolved by adding tools to Warrior's kit. Berserk and Dragon Trigger, mechanically, are just incompatible with a support gameplay style. Others have given reasons why in this very thread.

Which is why there is so much focus on getting Alacrity (or quickness) on Spell Breaker. Because the most important step we can take towards support warrior is moving the baseline requirement of any support build (alacrity or quickness) onto a spec whose primary mechanic doesn't fundamentally conflict with support gameplay. 

I.E. Spell Breaker.

Spellbreaker must be near perfect tho. It appears the spec hasn't needed any changes at all in the last handful of profession updates.

Berserker on the other hand, must have been trash since that's were most of the upward adjustments tend to go.

I admit I like playing alacrity bladesworn, but for some people, committing to animation locks *and* needing your allies to be with you isn't a great support method. I would rather charge an overload than do that. I never play quickness berserker, so no comment on how it plays. I would also consider alacrity and quickness just as the icing on the cake for a support spec; other utilities are highly worthy to have as a support lol. 

The by-far more critical issue for support warrior is, like others have pointed out, the fact that Berserker and Bladesworn are fundamentally unsuitable for the gameplay required of a functional support spec. 

If these especs don't match with the support style, then where do quickness and alacrity go? If spellbreaker, then it could have two different traits: one for alacrity and one for quickness. But I'd never get my hopes up for that because Anet wouldn't do it. I don't see it happening. So, we'll have to live with bladesworn and berserker until there are more balance patches.