What is the best value way to get season 2 onwards

Hi everyone, 

With the sales on I'm looking to get the rest of the story content. I have Path of Fire from when it launched and Heart of Thorns and season 1 retroactively. I want to get the rest of the seasons and end of dragons. Is the Dragon saga and taking the little hit on already owning the first 2 DLC's the best value way to do it or should I do DLC EOD and buy the seasons with GEMS? 

There is a return to season 2 event coming up later this month:

Last time they did an event like this (in 2021), it unlocked the season for anyone who logged in during the event.  I don't know if that's going to happen again this time, but it's possible.

There may well be "return to" events for the other seasons in future.  If you're in no hurry to get the seasons, they may well come along for free if you wait.

• Thanks 2

The best value would probably be to buy them with gold converted to gems and wait for a discount. However, I'd say they are the only item in the gem store that is worth actual money, as you get real content in exchange. And while Season 2 isn't all that great IMHO, Season 3 is almost on the level of a full expansion.

Edited by Padrion.7382
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Sirico.6785 said:

Hi everyone, 

With the sales on I'm looking to get the rest of the story content. I have Path of Fire from when it launched and Heart of Thorns and season 1 retroactively. I want to get the rest of the seasons and end of dragons. Is the Dragon saga and taking the little hit on already owning the first 2 DLC's the best value way to do it or should I do DLC EOD and buy the seasons with GEMS? 

At the moment the cheapest option is to buy the Elder Dragon Saga Complete Collection, because it's discounted to $50.

It costs 4160 gems to get all 4 Living World seasons from the gem store. A 4,000 gem pack costs $50 (you'd need another 160 gems, from somewhere) and EoD is another $15 on top of that. (The exception here is if you already have 4160 gems to spare or enough gold to get them without spending real money, then that way is cheaper, assuming of course the gold didn't come from converting gems previously.)

There is a possibility the LW Seasons will be discounted sometime soon, but most likely (looking at the gem store history) only by 20-30%. With a 30% discount they'd cost you 2912 gems. The LW Seasons are currently discounted in the gem store. Season 2 is 36% off, assuming the others are the same (I can't confirm this) they'd cost 2663 gems.  It costs $35 to buy 2800 gems, but when you add on the cost of EoD it's back to $50, so you wouldn't save any money that way.

The other entirely unconfirmed possibility is that when the Return to Season 2 event starts that Season will be given away free, and there will be similar events for the other Seasons later on. In that case you'd obviously be better off just buying EoD. This is pure speculation at this point, but you could wait and see. The sale on expansions runs until the 21st and the Season 2 event starts on the 26th so we may have more info on this before the sale ends.

(Just for the sake of covering all the options: outside a sale the cheapest option would be to buy EoD for $30 and then the LW Seasons from the gem store, for a total cost of $80, plus whatever you use for the remaining 160 gems.)

Edited by Danikat.8537
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:

Check the Gem Store for Living World Seasons before purchasing through the website, as its been announced there is a current discount on Seasons now.

https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/topic/90-news-gemstore-items-newreturnedsales/?do=findComment&comment=2091416

Thanks for the info. 🙂I updated my post above based on the info, but I don't think it changes the outcome.

Season 2 is the only one I can see (for some reason my free account can buy it, even though it has it unlocked according to the story journal) and thats 36% off. Assuming all the others have the same discount it would still cost $50 to get all of them and EoD. You'd have 137 gems left over, so it is slightly cheaper, but probably not enough to make a difference unless you've already got some gems or can get them with gold.