A Pleasant Surprise!

I came into the newest chapter of SoTO with tempered enthusiasm; I had expected a slog through the quest to get the Arsenal completed and was pleasantly surprised that it only took about ten minutes or so. I was very pleased with this, as I had been feeling a bit of a burnout, not just from this game, but almost all games. I was also very happy to see my fellow players being very helpful and very considerate. Then I remembered why I love this game so much: the people. For better or worse, people are gonna people, but it's nice to see the better side of humanity. I won't get into detail, but it's been really rough here lately, so just letting my mind wander brings me a great sense of gratitude. (As an aside, I plan on getting a dog and I'm gonna name him Laranthir because I'm a shameless fangirl.) Stay safe and be well.

Edited by Tsakhi.8124
  • Like 30

• ArenaNet Staff

Game burnout is a whole thing, I think we all experience it at one point or another. I'm glad the GW2 community provided you with a nice welcome back! 

...and we're gonna need some pictures of Puppy Laranthir once he's in his new home.

• Like 19
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2

6 hours ago, AIex.4105 said:

We need better expansions, like POF+s4 was

I think to be more accurate is that the subject matter is probably okay, even though we probably could have done an expansion with just the astral ward, fractals and rampant wild magic from this new era. However, I do hope Anet continues to learn how best to deliver an expansion over an entire year vs giving half the content at the first release and trickling the rest.

• Confused 2

4 hours ago, HotDelirium.7984 said:

I think to be more accurate is that the subject matter is probably okay, even though we probably could have done an expansion with just the astral ward, fractals and rampant wild magic from this new era. However, I do hope Anet continues to learn how best to deliver an expansion over an entire year vs giving half the content at the first release and trickling the rest.

I have confidence they'll find a balance when it comes to delivering content - they clearly want to be able to deliver consistent content, but also promote a healthy work enviroment for their own development team

Its no secret that the studio suffered a lot during the Icebrood Saga and through the COVID-19 epidemic, which was a difficult time for a vast majority of development studios  - they've since clearly bounced back and capitalized on the success of End of Dragons in 2022 to have a great 2023 year, and I believe they're trying to find success in their current release cycle 

However, it's clear that they're still learning balance with this new format - moving from an expansion every 4 years to yearly expansions is no small feat, and I'm sure there's a lot of debate in-studio of where that balance is

Perhaps they'll only do 2 post-expansion releases instead of 3 next cycle. Perhaps they'll decide the new weapon will come in the first instead of second, or they'll move around the fractal or strike - as they see what works and what doesn't, they have the freedom to adjust their release schedule as needed, and that's the beauty of online game development

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

5 hours ago, LichOverlord.6329 said:

I have confidence they'll find a balance when it comes to delivering content - they clearly want to be able to deliver consistent content, but also promote a healthy work enviroment for their own development team

Its no secret that the studio suffered a lot during the Icebrood Saga and through the COVID-19 epidemic, which was a difficult time for a vast majority of development studios  - they've since clearly bounced back and capitalized on the success of End of Dragons in 2022 to have a great 2023 year, and I believe they're trying to find success in their current release cycle 

However, it's clear that they're still learning balance with this new format - moving from an expansion every 4 years to yearly expansions is no small feat, and I'm sure there's a lot of debate in-studio of where that balance is

Perhaps they'll only do 2 post-expansion releases instead of 3 next cycle. Perhaps they'll decide the new weapon will come in the first instead of second, or they'll move around the fractal or strike - as they see what works and what doesn't, they have the freedom to adjust their release schedule as needed, and that's the beauty of online game development

I'll judge this expansion on its merits during the conclusion but it's going to take the end of this one and maybe the next few to even see if this is better.

5 hours ago, HotDelirium.7984 said:

I'll judge this expansion on its merits during the conclusion but it's going to take the end of this one and maybe the next few to even see if this is better.

Well we only got 2 more planned after this one and if the 2024-25 do bad Anet might change their minds again.