The new Deathless Courage GM trait on Willbender was a great idea, but not well executed

GuriGashi.5617

First of all I really like the changes done to the GM trait Deathless Courage - the 20% damage reduction was a great idea.

However I feel like having the 20% damage reduction during Crashing Courage (F3) kinda defeats the purpose of of the trait, since the effect of Crashing Courage (F3) already provides us with alot of damage mitigation in form of Aegis during its effect - meaning the 20% less damage reduction isn‘t really effective when we are already blocking to begin with.

Is there a chance we can get the 6s Deathless Courage 20% damage reduction effect AFTER Crashing Courage (F3) wears off (Similar to the changes made to the Elementalist trait Stone Heart last year) ? Would make alot more sense in my opinion - especially in competitive game modes.

Edited by GuriGashi.5617
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 12

• GuriGashi.5617 changed the title to The new Deathless Courage GM trait on Willbender was a great idea, but not well executed

Would make sense. I think they did this with another trait recently. What was it? Focus mastery? It gave protection during shield of wrath which made no sense since the attacks would be blocked anyway, so they put the protection after the shield expires. Your suggestion is in line with what anet has already done for other guardian traits, so I don't see why they shouldn't take your suggestion in.

Edited by Kuya.6495
  • Like 4

I'm curious on why the changes are so different from the preview:

• Deathless Courage: This trait no longer removes aegis from Courage, reduces the duration of Courage, or causes enemy deaths to increase the duration of Courage. This trait now grants the guardian strike damage and condition damage reduction while Courage is active.

The actual changes are nothing like that. Did they change it because it'd be too good or because there was overlap with Tyrant's Momentum (Lethal Tempo trait)?

Edited by ArchonWing.9480
  • Confused 2

On 3/22/2024 at 5:39 PM, ArchonWing.9480 said:

I'm curious on why the changes are so different from the preview:

• Deathless Courage: This trait no longer removes aegis from Courage, reduces the duration of Courage, or causes enemy deaths to increase the duration of Courage. This trait now grants the guardian strike damage and condition damage reduction while Courage is active.

The actual changes are nothing like that. Did they change it because it'd be too good or because there was overlap with Tyrant's Momentum (Lethal Tempo trait)?

Did you misread the notes?

They did exactly what they stated, if you have the trait now there's no loss of Aegis, Courage's duration is not shortened to 4s, killing an enemy doesn't extend Courage's duration per kill.

The trait now grants the Guardian 20% strike and condition damage reduction while Courage is active.

51 minutes ago, Ezrael.6859 said:

Did you misread the notes?

They did exactly what they stated, if you have the trait now there's no loss of Aegis, Courage's duration is not shortened to 4s, killing an enemy doesn't extend Courage's duration per kill.

The trait now grants the Guardian 20% strike and condition damage reduction while Courage is active.

Yea I actually did.

I missed the part about the condition and strike damage reduction, I thought it was going to be just be additional condition and strike damage.

Although in my defense they also took away the part "You cannot be downed while Courage is active." which was in the old trait but  doesn't seem to be mentioned  when Courage is active so it really seems like they just uprooted the trait entirely into a new one.

Edited by ArchonWing.9480

• 1 month later...

ANet should have statistics on Deathless Courage vs Tyrant's Momentum usage after the change, I wonder what it looks like. I actually tried taking Deathless Courage for a while since it's good for zerg diving situations where the aegis wouldn't be enough, but I eventually stopped doing that because boonball meta is too strong for zerg diving to be worth it, especially vs semi well comped groups. Since then I went back to Tyrant's Momentum. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 1

On 4/30/2024 at 5:46 PM, idolin.2831 said:

I actually tried taking Deathless Courage for a while since it's good for zerg diving situations where the aegis wouldn't be enough, but I eventually stopped doing that because boonball meta is too strong for zerg diving to be worth it, especially vs semi well comped groups. Since then I went back to Tyrant's Momentum. 

If their intentions were to improve the self sustain aspect during F3 then why not have a trait that's similiar to Permeating Wrath.

Remove the damage reduction during F3. Reduce the number of hits for Aegis proc from 5, down to 3. Then the 20% damage reduction turns on when F3 finalizes, lasting for 5 seconds.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

Or....... Why not make this trait and the others be affected by lethal tempo stacks instead. Such as a stack grants a percentage of damage reduction so you actually have sustain outside of just using f3. 

This could be applied to other traits that are influenced by resolve and justice, respectively. 

• Confused 1

33 minutes ago, Arken.3725 said:

Or....... Why not make this trait and the others be affected by lethal tempo stacks instead. Such as a stack grants a percentage of damage reduction so you actually have sustain outside of just using f3. 

This could be applied to other traits that are influenced by resolve and justice, respectively. 

I doubt they'll give wb a permanent damage reduction trait outside of F3. I was thinking of the "Permeating Wrath" option because of traits that are in Zeal. It may be niche, but Zeal hasn't gotten any love after they nerfed Shattered Aegis. 

Posted (edited)

I think having deathless courage modify lethal tempo so it reduces both condition and strike damage is an interesting idea. I think to balance it out though, the trait would have to either remove or reduce how much of a damage bonus you get from lethal tempo. Kind of like how tyrant's momentum increases the damage, Deathless courage should do the opposite in exchange for damage reduction. 

Arken's suggestion is also a good idea because it means all your f skills have synergy with the trait instead of only f3 being affected. Kind of like how lethal tempo is triggered by all your virtues.

Actually, while we're at it: do the same for Phoenix protocol. Make the alacrity trigger from lethal tempo instead of from f2 procs. 

Edited by Kuya.6495
  • Like 3
  • Confused 1