Guild Wars 3 - Ideas [Merged]

GW1 is a coop RPG game.

GW2 is an MMO RPG game.

GW3 could be a single player action story driven rpg game with optional 4 player coop mode.

I think if they do a GW3 it should be 5,000 years into the future, taking place in Space. Think Mass Effect but with Guild Wars lore. Humans, Asura, Sylvari, Charr and Norn become space traveling species who travel new planets and make new friends and foes and the ultimate bad guy could be something like the Dragon Void that lives inside the black hole and who's goal is to rip through time/space until nothing is left. The Tyrian Species + other alien species from other planets must come together, bring new technology and magic to take down the ultimate threat to all existence.

This is just an idea. I love to see Humans from Tyria rediscover their ancestors when traveling to earth for the first time, interacting with human earthlings. I want to see how much Human Earthlings advanced compared to Human Tyrians. I love to see what Asuras discover and I want to see how other alien life interact with the Sylvari with their weird biology. 
The possibilities is endless!

An action adventure RPG with guns and space battleships with sword and magic, would be like Star Wars but in the guild wars universe! The possible alien creatures from other planets and different evolution of fighting styles in this universe would be just epic!

I guess it could kinda be similar to GW1 where the cities or space stations orbiting the planets you travel are hubs you can meet with other players and outside that, you have instances for you and your party to travel around the planet, doing countless of missions and traveling with your party using your own personal space ship, to another planet and being able to decorate your interior and exterior of your ship and more.

Engineer playstyle could be like a 3rd person shooter.

Warrior playstyle could be hack and slash.

Deadeye could be first person shooter playstyle.

Mesmer playstyle could be puzzles playstyles with light platforming.

I would LOVE to see Guild Wars franchise to extend beyond an MMORPG and COORPG.

Seeing my favorite franchise extend to other genres and expand the universe and lore would just be so freakin cool. ❤️

I don't want Gw3 to be an MMO because I don't want people to leave GW2 for GW3. So to make GW2 relevant, GW3 should be a different type of game imo. A single player action adventure rpg game with optional 4 player coop.

I just wanted to share some of my ideas. What ideas do you guys have? Please share your thoughts and ideas too! What would you like GW3 to be and why?
😊Let's hear them.

Here is my concept Art of Guild Wars 3: Final Frontier I put together:
https://i.imgur.com/eoCfl2k.png

Edited by DreamyAbaddon.3265
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 30
  • Sad 1

Generally whenever a single game wanted to do all the genres it never ended well, so i'd cut it down to focusing on one genre with splashes of others. Instead of "It's a FPS but it's also a farming game and a hack'n'slash and also a pinball simulator and a puzzle game and also it's fifa while being also being a racing game".

GW in space sounds desperate but in the end the mechanics must be good. If the mechanics are solid the paint you throw on it don't matter much.

I'd rather have them spend resources on GW2 as long as the game is still running, which it still is.

• Like 8
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Posted (edited)

I see your point. I guess part of that idea came from Sonic Adventure 2 where you play Knockles for treasure hunting, Sonic for speed platforming, and Tails for mech battles. I enjoyed every single one in that game and I was thinking Anet could do something like that for GW3?

Asuran Engineer could be a Mech battle gameplay similar to Armored Core

Human Warrior could be similar to Devil May Cry's hack and slash

Charr Deadeye could be like your first person shooter (Halo with sniper and rocket launcher with pistols gameplay)

Sylvari Mesmer could be similar to the game Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons which is a Jumping puzzle game were you can control the main char and clone at the same time to get through obsticals.

And eventually these 4 characters team up in the story and become a crew. You can customize your ship too. 

I honestly love the idea of Guild Wars expanding to Space. I love Tyria but I want to see these characters and classes go beyond this planet. It has a lot of potential.

Maybe the 3rd game could be 1 class, 4th game could be another class, and 5th game could be another class, etc.

So each game is different and unique and expands the universe and lore. I'd love that too. You don't have to have all the classes and race playable for 1 game. But Mass Effect 1 does have multiple class choices so maybe you can? Idk

• Confused 3
  • Sad 1

If they do make a GW3, it would have to be a much smaller game that way their team has the capacity to support in in its entirety.  Something like GW2 is just too big for the existing team.

Edited by enigmatic.3576
  • Like 1
  • Confused 3

45 minutes ago, enigmatic.3576 said:

If they do make a GW3, it would have to be a much smaller game that way their team has the capacity to support in in its entirety.  Something like GW2 is just too big for the existing team.

I agree. I was thinking mostly single player action rpg space adventure like Mass Effect. It could just be 1 protagonist, 1 class, in a huge space advanture using Guild Wars lore 5,000 years later after GW2.

• Confused 3
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, DreamyAbaddon.3265 said:

I agree. I was thinking mostly single player action rpg space adventure like Mass Effect. It could just be 1 protagonist, 1 class, in a huge space advanture using Guild Wars lore 5,000 years later after GW2.

I would say they would be better off just making a new game and not attaching the Guild Wars name to it.  If that is done too many people who have some investment in GW will be turned off by it.  A better option, I would think, would be to advertise (something Anet is very bad at) that the game is from the creators of GW, but is a completely different game.  There have been many examples of developers trying to leverage the name of an existing IP and ending up alienating the existing fans, while simultaneously turning off people who are not fans, or actively dislike, that IP.

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

6 minutes ago, Erich.1783 said:

I would say they would be better off just making a new game and not attaching the Guild Wars name to it.  If that is done too many people who have some investment in GW will be turned off by it.  A better option, I would think, would be to advertise (something Anet is very bad at) that the game is from the creators of GW, but is a completely different game.  There have been many examples of developers trying to leverage the name of an existing IP and ending up alienating the existing fans, while simultaneously turning off people who are not fans, or actively dislike, that IP.

I don't want another generic space adventure game tho. I want to see Humans, Charr, Sylvari, Norn and Asura going on a Space Adventure specifically in a time period were Tyrian races making new friends and foes in other planets with something that threatens all of the universe that they must stop. I want Guild Wars universe to expand beyond the planet.

I quickly put this together in photoshop as a concept:

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/1174122869865848977/1220864553957457960/2024-03-22_153721.png?ex=66107db8&is=65fe08b8&hm=011d2ccc2bc610823737de5294636f96e6fa516b953b16c66d602c3554932ea4&

• Haha 1
  • Confused 4

6 minutes ago, illuminati.8453 said:

I don't think companies really make sequels to MMOs, so if there is a Guild Wars 3 it will most likely not be an MMO. 

Yeah, I don't want another MMO. Single player Action RPG Space Adventure in Guild Wars universe would be epic tho! It's a great way to take a break from MMO and stay invested in the world. GW2 can tell the story of Tyria the planet and GW3 can take the stories beyond the Tyrian planet. So many cool stories can be told with new protagonist and I love to see how each race evolved in culture and technology and magic development from that era.

What would be so cool would be if Tyria was the only planet that has Magic and we introduce the concept of Magic to other creatures we meet in other planets. Human Earthlings meeting Tyrian Humans would be such an interesting interaction were Humans from Earth don't believe in magic, only science and tech and Tyrian Humans introduce them to magic with tech.

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, SuavePuppy.2809 said:

Mama Mia, here we go again

my, my, how can I resist you

(<gw3 thread>)

Edit:

In all seriousness, with how inconsistent the story quality of GW2 has been, with some amazing highs and ungodly awful lows, the last thing I want is for them to concentrate that into a single player RPG and slap the GW name on it.

Also having some flashbacks to the end of ME3 and the disaster that was......

Edited by QueenKeriti.5176
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2

5 hours ago, illuminati.8453 said:

I don't think companies really make sequels to MMOs, so if there is a Guild Wars 3 it will most likely not be an MMO. 

Everquest 2, Metin 2, Blade & Soul 2, Destiny 2,  Aion 2 (currently in development), Lineage 2, The Division 2, Mortal Online 2, Astonia 2, Astonia 3, The Legend of Mir 2, The Legend of Mir 3, Maple Story 2, Necron2, Phantasy Star Online 2, Priston Tale 2.

Sequels of MMOs are not as uncommon as you think.

• Like 4
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

9 hours ago, DreamyAbaddon.3265 said:

GW1 is a coop RPG game.

GW2 is an MMO RPG game.

GW3 could be a single player action rpg game with optional coop mode.

I think if they do a GW3 it should be 5,000 years into the future, taking place in Space. Think Mass Effect but with Guild Wars lore. Humans, Asura, Sylvari, Charr and Norn become space traveling species who travel new planets and make new friends and foes and the ultimate bad guy could be something like the Dragon Void that lives inside the black hole and who's goal is to rip through time/space until nothing is left. The Tyrian Species + other alien species in other planets must come together, bring new technology and magic to take down the ultimate threat to all existence.

This is just an idea. I love to see Humans from Tyria rediscover their ancestors when traveling to earth for the first time, interacting with human earthlings. I love to see what Asuras discover and I want to see other alien life in other planets interact with Sylvari and get curious about the sylvari biology cause of how unique it is. I want to see how much Human Earthlings advanced compared to Human Tyrians and how Charr interact with Human Earthlings compared to the Tyrian counterpart.

The possibilities is endless!

An action adventure. RPG with guns and space ship battle and sword and magic, would be like Star Wars but in the guild wars universe! The possible alien creatures from other planets and different fighting styles, this would be just epic.

I guess it could kinda be similar to GW1 where the cities in the planets you travel are hubs you can meet with other players and outside that, you have instances for you and your party to travel around the planet, doing countless of missions and traveling to your own personal space ship, to another planet and such.

Engineer playstyle could be like a 3rd person shooter.

Warrior playstyle could be hack and slash.

Deadeye could be first person shooter playstyle.

Mesmer playstyle could be puzzles playstyles with light platforming.

I would LOVE to see Guild Wars franchise to extend beyond an MMORPG and COORPG.

Seeing my favorite franchise extend to other genres and expand the universe and lore would just be so freakin cool. ❤️

I don't want Gw3 to be an MMO because I don't want people to leave GW2 for GW3. So to make GW2 relavent, GW3 should be a different type of game imo. I just wanted to share some of my ideas. What ideas do you guys have? Please share your thoughts and ideas too! What would you like GW3 to be and why?
😊Let's hear them.

I've been saying this for a few years:

GW3 will be an action adventure game. We have seen too many hotbar MMOs try to conform themselves to simpler action-style spatial combat and simpler gamepad layouts(to massive commercial success) for this not to happen. That is just where the potential market is; a very large casual consumer-base that doesn't want to micromanage too many complicated subsystems.

And GW3 will very likely be a sci-fi fantasy spin on the genre. The time jump conceit was an extremely successful way of both expanding/opening up the lore while having a lot of material to reuse/rework. Assuredly they are tempted to do this again, because it would be very resource conservative to reimagine old places/characters instead of designing totally new places. Also the only remaining major mysteries in the game are fractals and Orr, both of which would lean very comfortably into a sci fi setting. Other pros of going sci-fi GW:

1 - GW1 was very traditional high fantasy and GW2 has been very "industrial/modern" (generally, the Asura and Cantha are on the brink of technological breakthroughs but most of GW2 has been defined by the Charr/Dredge, the steampunk Pact and jungle airship fleet, the Amnoon oil, the Dwarven furnaces, etc.). Moving into futurism naturally opens up a lot more design space to have enough "new ideas" to sell to consumers without retrodding or obviating the old games.

2 - It would accept globalization of Canthan/Asuran tech as a fact and basis for the next era, rather than "destroying everything with dragons" again. We already did the "post-apocalyptic world" thing in GW2, where the desert was Kralk'd/Joko'd, Kaineng was drowned and necro'd, and the north was politically insurrectioned. There really isn't any appeal to tearing down these cultures again internally when GW2 was that to GW1. Sci-fi allows us to move past apocolypse into Utopia, show all of these regions fully modernized, and introduce exterior threats from the stars and other dimensions rather than retrod dragons.

3 - It would be a fantastic setup--if they put forth the resources to achieve it--to remaster/rework GW1 and GW2. The mists were a mysterious part of lore in GW1. We were experimenting with how to traverse them and re-experience past events in GW2. If the technology is fully realized in GW3, we could have diagetic reasons for cross-play between GW1 and GW2, where you could bring characters and/or skins back and forth between them. It would solve the issue so many games have of splitting their playerbases with new releases, by building a more robust version of Hall of Monuments that sustains continued player interaction across the history of Tyria.

I do think GW3 will have MMO elements like you state, but you are spot on that if they are developing it, it is going to lean heavily into single-player campaigns and action combat.

NOW, all that said...given how much the current design team is myopically destroying everything solid and good about GW2, I highly doubt that (a) they would design GW3 in a manner any way complementary to and respectful of GW2, and (b) that they have even a fraction of this sort of vision planned for GW3.

Edited by Batalix.2873
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

17 hours ago, Batalix.2873 said:

I've been saying this for a few years:

GW3 will be an action adventure game. We have seen too many hotbar MMOs try to conform themselves to simpler action-style spatial combat and simpler gamepad layouts(to massive commercial success) for this not to happen. That is just where the potential market is; a very large casual consumer-base that doesn't want to micromanage too many complicated subsystems.

And GW3 will very likely be a sci-fi fantasy spin on the genre. The time jump conceit was an extremely successful way of both expanding/opening up the lore while having a lot of material to reuse/rework. Assuredly they are tempted to do this again, because it would be very resource conservative to reimagine old places/characters instead of designing totally new places. Also the only remaining major mysteries in the game are fractals and Orr, both of which would lean very comfortably into a sci fi setting. Other pros of going sci-fi GW:

1 - GW1 was very traditional high fantasy and GW2 has been very "industrial/modern" (generally, the Asura and Cantha are on the brink of technological breakthroughs but most of GW2 has been defined by the Charr/Dredge, the steampunk Pact and jungle airship fleet, the Amnoon oil, the Dwarven furnaces, etc.). Moving into futurism naturally opens up a lot more design space to have enough "new ideas" to sell to consumers without retrodding or obviating the old games.

2 - It would accept globalization of Canthan/Asuran tech as a fact and basis for the next era, rather than "destroying everything with dragons" again. We already did the "post-apocalyptic world" thing in GW2, where the desert was Kralk'd/Joko'd, Kaineng was drowned and necro'd, and the north was politically insurrectioned. There really isn't any appeal to tearing down these cultures again internally when GW2 was that to GW1. Sci-fi allows us to move past apocolypse into Utopia, show all of these regions fully modernized, and introduce exterior threats from the stars and other dimensions rather than retrod dragons.

3 - It would be a fantastic setup--if they put forth the resources to achieve it--to remaster/rework GW1 and GW2. The mists were a mysterious part of lore in GW1. We were experimenting with how to traverse them and re-experience past events in GW2. If the technology is fully realized in GW3, we could have diagetic reasons for cross-play between GW1 and GW2, where you could bring characters and/or skins back and forth between them. It would solve the issue so many games have of splitting their playerbases with new releases, by building a more robust version of Hall of Monuments that sustains continued player interaction across the history of Tyria.

I do think GW3 will have MMO elements like you state, but you are spot on that if they are developing it, it is going to lean heavily into single-player campaigns and action combat.

NOW, all that said...given how much the current design team is myopically destroying everything solid and good about GW2, I highly doubt that (a) they would design GW3 in a manner any way complementary to and respectful of GW2, and (b) that they have even a fraction of this sort of vision planned for GW3.

Man you are making me want to hire a Concept Artist to make Tyria 5,000 years in the future with all the main races becoming space traveling species and get art made for it plus art made to show case what places like Divinity's Reach, Black Citadel, Lions Arch and Metric Province would look like.

Tbh I think I can imagine Lions Arch being were the Space Elevator would be located for all races using Cantha + Asura tech and I can totally see Charr + Asura tech being used for Battle Spaceships and Cantha + Asura tech used for Space Stations. Omg I will DIE to see this become a real game using the latest game engine!!! 

• Like 1
  • Confused 3

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that a single player game will NOT work within the Guildwars universe.  And this is largely to do with the lore itself.   Guildwars thematically has largely been about people coming to together to solve a big problem.  The Lore actually does not like the idea of a singular chosen one.  Whenever a single person tried to solve a big problem, they either made the problem worse, or invented a whole new problem that everyone else now has to deal with. (And I extend this idea into everything involving Aurene, dating all the way back to Kaithe taking the Egg) Even in GW1, it was heavily implied that you were part of a diverse group of heroes who banded together to stop an existential threat.  In GW2, that was the premise of the entire 2nd and 3rd acts; with at least half the options in the first act being about leadership and cooperation.  

To make a single player campaign in the way modern players expect things (aka straight up power fantasy), you'd end up being the villain with how this universe treats powerful independents.  Even the OG Best Dude of Tyria's History, ended up causing not only one of the single biggest disasters (the Crystal Dessert), but set the stage for all subsequent major magical disasters (including the Guildwars, the Sinking of Orr, speeding the cycle of the Dragons, and Nightfall being the weakest campaign of the 4 major story lines).  His name was Abbadon.  And he gave the people of Tyria the gift of Magic.  And what did we learn?

Edited by starlinvf.1358
  • Confused 2

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, starlinvf.1358 said:

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that a single player game will NOT work within the Guildwars universe.  And this is largely to do with the lore itself.   Guildwars thematically has largely been about people coming to together to solve a big problem.  The Lore actually does not like the idea of a singular chosen one.  Whenever a single person tried to solve a big problem, they either made the problem worse, or invented a whole new problem that everyone else now has to deal with. (And I extend this idea into everything involving Aurene, dating all the way back to Kaithe taking the Egg) Even in GW1, it was heavily implied that you were part of a diverse group of heroes who banded together to stop an existential threat.  In GW2, that was the premise of the entire 2nd and 3rd acts; with at least half the options in the first act being about leadership and cooperation.  

To make a single player campaign in the way modern players expect things (aka straight up power fantasy), you'd end up being the villain with how this universe treats powerful independents.  Even the OG Best Dude of Tyria's History, ended up causing not only one of the single biggest disasters, but set the stage for all subsequent major magical disasters.  His name was Abbadon.  And he gave the people of Tyria the gift of Magic.  

I have to strongly disagree. Hear me out:
The GW2 universe is like any universe; StarWars, StarTrek, whatever. It's just the lore and world and races we use. Meanwhile, the writers of the game can choose a race and character they want to tell a story of and make a compelling story about that character in this world. The story wouldn't have to be about the world itself but the characters and their relationships and struggles. All you need is motivation, flaws, and how the main char will overcome their flaws and deal with obsticles to reach the climax and achieve their goals for a satisfying ending. Everything else about the world is extra. Seeing how the other races interact in the future and stuff. There can be tons of great side missions too like in Mass Effect games or Starfield or even Fallout games. Side missions could be the bread and butter of Guild Wars 3 were you get to know the characters in other planets and solve their problems. Making new friends and enemies along the way.

I love to see how the Mists can be used as a worm hole to travel longer distance using space ships

Something like a WarpDrive but call it the MistDrive using modern tech to travel through mists to reach other solar systems or galaxies faster. Waypoints can be Space Stations too.

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, DreamyAbaddon.3265 said:

I have to strongly disagree. Hear me out:
The GW2 universe is like any universe; StarWars, StarTrek, whatever. It's just the lore and world and races we use. Meanwhile, the writers of the game can choose a race and character they want to tell a story of and make a compelling story about that character in this world. The story wouldn't have to be about the world itself but the characters and their relationships and struggles. All you need is motivation, flaws, and how the main char will overcome their flaws and deal with obsticles to reach the climax and achieve their goals for a satisfying ending. Everything else about the world is extra. Seeing how the other races interact in the future and stuff. There can be tons of great side missions too like in Mass Effect games or Starfield or even Fallout games. Side missions could be the bread and butter of Guild Wars 3 were you get to know the characters in other planets and solve their problems. Making new friends and enemies along the way.

I love to see how the Mists can be used as a worm hole to travel longer distance using space ships

Something like a WarpDrive but call it the MistDrive using modern tech to travel through mists to reach other solar systems or galaxies.

But you also need the stories to follow the logic of the world.  Otherwise you get the 40k Inquisitor: Draco types stories.    And the games you cited all have one thing in common.... the story HAS to revolve around a single person being the most important person in the universe.  In Fallout, you're the only Vault Dweller that wasn't a total idiot, and somehow managed to stopped other people from making the wasteland worse then it already was.  In Starfield, you were so special and chosen, that other chosen ones from other universes were sent over to kick your kitten.  For Mass Effect... literally the only person who is given the choice to save the universe; and you will always pick the wrong one, because the problem is circular.  The sides quests that landed up being the most interesting are the ones where you weren't the center of the story.  But at the same time, depending on when in the time line you encounter those side quests, the quest would have to ignore your main character energy to not let you solve the problem in ways other than what the side quest wants to do.  

So what if you made a game entirely about side quests?  Its called Halo ODST.  And it got criticized for being hard to follow, and not having a story of its own.  Other games in similar formats usually get called meandering or unfocused.  Without a main throughline to keep things on a track, people routinely have trouble understanding what they should be doing.  Breath of the Wild had that issue at first, because very little story happens in forefront of that game; from a series that had very strong main story lines for most of its life.  

Even within Guildwars 2, there were chapters that functionally operated as their own storylines headed by other characters.  And people didn't seem to respond well to those episodes. 

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

On 3/22/2024 at 9:41 PM, DreamyAbaddon.3265 said:

I don't want Gw3 to be an MMO because I don't want people to leave GW2 for GW3.

If the game continues to release only boring new content with grindy achievements/collections, zero compelling rewards and tons of annoying bugs, I don't see why a better maintained new GW game shouldn't be an MMO RPG.

• Haha 2
  • Confused 4

1 hour ago, Ashantara.8731 said:

If the game continues to release only boring new content with grindy achievements/collections, zero compelling rewards and tons of annoying bugs, I don't see why a better maintained new GW game shouldn't be an MMO RPG.

Given that it would be made by the same people what would make you think that a new GW game would be better maintained or have better content than GW2?

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

On 3/22/2024 at 10:39 PM, enigmatic.3576 said:

The irony in that is that one of the reasons Anet mentioned for the making of GW2 was that GW1 had become too big with players being spread out too far. 🤷‍♂️

• Confused 1

I don't think Gw3 would work as anything other than an MMO. Problem with MMO's is that nobody knows the secret sauce to the next big one - even Riot Games recently scrapped their MMO plans because they didn't have a marketable plan to compete with the current market.

That being said, I think it'd be neat if this game was like "runescape", which uses "classic, 2, 3" to denote massive overhauls to the game. Game Changing things like overhauling the level 1-15 areas and maybe adding a variation of the EoD training field for actual newbies.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1