New MMOs Now That WvW Was Murdered?

Anyone know of any other good MMOs to scratch that itch?  Preferably one with an economy as good as GW2 and doubly preferably one with it's own WvW with siege mechanics.

Anet decided WvW should just be mindlessly rolling over towers and castles without resistance, so they killed the best part of the game

• Like 25
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 6
  • Sad 1

There's Orcs Must Die (1, 2, 3), Bloons TD 6, Defense Grid 2, Sanctum (1,2). 

Granted, there's not much of an online economy, but mutiplayer coop is offered for all of them and most feature player-used siege mechanics. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

I don't think you're going to find another realm vs realm structure combined with GW2 comparable combat. I only keep playing because I still vibe after work with this game's movement and combat mechanics and animations. I get a similar visceral experience flying around WvW when a map is lit up that I do racing Roller Beatles. You're going to have to hope that your ideal game is being made or hope that Anet has a realistic but inspired view ahead for WvW. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Arbiterjim.1472 said:

Anyone know of any other good MMOs to scratch that itch?  Preferably one with an economy as good as GW2 and doubly preferably one with it's own WvW with siege mechanics.

Anet decided WvW should just be mindlessly rolling over towers and castles without resistance, so they killed the best part of the game

Most of them are either old, elder scrolls online, planetside 2, new world, or korean/asian p2w like throne and liberty coming soon.

Oh and I forgot Once Human which will be a ftp mmo but from Netease, it will have territory wars over resources, you can build your own buildings with turrets and traps. I'm currently playing the beta.

Edited by XenesisII.1540
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

10 minutes ago, XenesisII.1540 said:

new world

Some of the Anet's devs should do some of New World's OPRs. Its the style of event that people have popped in here and asked for from time to time. Its a mix of WvW and sPvP that includes fighting, capture and control, building, siege, gathering and mini events. Matches fixed time, want to say 45 mins, or till victory via points by controlling capture points. End of matches pay players based on how they contributed via various factors ranging from kills to building and healing. Could be a good cross over mode here.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

27 minutes ago, Grave.5683 said:

helldivers 2,whatever riot pushes out.

If you aren't HD2 on the side, you should be. Its great for team building in any case even though its not the same niche. But its does feel the same when are trying to use 4 to defend against 50. May need to start a WvW suggestion post for a Hellbomb. Zerg runs in, you set off your 4 Hellbombs killing yourselves and the 50 of enemy zerg. This sounds like a win for liberty the more I think about.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Im heading to ESO. Havent played it in a while due to not being a big fan of the feel of combat, but their version of WvW actually feels like proper dynamic seiging and fights over territory and less of a braindead deathmatch. Unless that gamemode has been ruined there too in the time Ive been away.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, TheGrimm.5624 said:

I am not sure I would expect a WvW mode in GW3. And GW3 is 2-20 years away as MMOs go.

But they sure have an arena where you can stand inside your blob and bombing on another blob.

3 minutes ago, urd.8306 said:

And I forgot that Return of Reckoning - the fan made version of Warhammer Online still exists. They always had a better system but it lacks dodge and a similar combat system.

Haven't visited RoR in a long while. This Choppa remembers. 

32 minutes ago, urd.8306 said:

I'm having fun in Conan Exiles PvP, but I don't see any mmorpg out there with something similar to wvw before the patch broke it.

Age of Conan pvp was a lot of fun also but it could get slide show laggy during a siege.

23 minutes ago, Cogadh.1845 said:

Im heading to ESO. Havent played it in a while due to not being a big fan of the feel of combat, but their version of WvW actually feels like proper dynamic seiging and fights over territory and less of a braindead deathmatch. Unless that gamemode has been ruined there too in the time Ive been away.

I feel like people have said that ESO RvR was laggy and kind of shabby since launch even. I never got to go deep into that mode though so maybe they were all just talking trash. 

I think you'll find much of the same there because that's another RvR mode that's detached from the rest of the game. Forum people don't want open world pvp though so Boon Blobs are the content like it or not. I don't think GW2 WvW is in horrible shape if not great, but it's playerbase doesn't seem to actually want better when it comes down to it. Make all the balance changes everyone here wants and you'll still have the same WvW for the most part and the same WvW maps entirely. 

Edited by kash.9213
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, TheGrimm.5624 said:

Some of the Anet's devs should do some of New World's OPRs. Its the style of event that people have popped in here and asked for from time to time. Its a mix of WvW and sPvP that includes fighting, capture and control, building, siege, gathering and mini events. Matches fixed time, want to say 45 mins, or till victory via points by controlling capture points. End of matches pay players based on how they contributed via various factors ranging from kills to building and healing. Could be a good cross over mode here.

OG alpha New World was the best. The release version is junk.

Ran into some old WvW faces there...

Edited by Chaba.5410
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, TheGrimm.5624 said:

If you aren't HD2 on the side, you should be. Its great for team building in any case even though its not the same niche. But its does feel the same when are trying to use 4 to defend against 50. May need to start a WvW suggestion post for a Hellbomb. Zerg runs in, you set off your 4 Hellbombs killing yourselves and the 50 of enemy zerg. This sounds like a win for liberty the more I think about.

But the attacking zerg now also has hellbombs and far more than you have. 

I would really recommend ESO, but it's a very eh game unless you know what you're doing.

If you do work on getting into it you can do just fine not spending a dime on the game, but I would recommend guides and things like that to help you get started because they kinda drop you in and tell you absolutely nothing and figuring it all out yourself is like boosting to level 80 on day one of gw2.
I would also recommend getting addons set up, such as a minimap.

The Alliance Wars (wvw) in ESO feels very similar to wvw in gw2 only instead of boonballs you have regenballs.
The fun part about the ball groups in ESO though, is that there are buster builds for them, including item sets all for disrupting grouping up heavily. You might die, but you'll take out 20+ others with you. And there's plenty of roaming as well if you'd rather do that.
There's no downstate in ESO, instead dead players can be revived for a soul gem. It takes a long time (about 30s) and fully resets if you interrupt the one trying to res, so dead players usually stay dead.
Just make sure when you join alliances you do the starter quest there since you can get a passive that gives you mount speed along with starter siege, and make sure you join the appropriate leveled areas (join the no champion points unless you're in the 1000's for them for example, or you'll just get rolled). Your race will be what alliance you join, so pay attention to that.

ESO is pretty good once you know what you're doing, imo. It's just getting there that kinda sucks. The leveling process is pain and crafting is basically out for f2p as well or else you'll never have inventory space (guilds often have crafters in them that will often craft you gear for cheap or even free, though)
But compared to gw2, I think it does wvw better. (Though that use to not be true, but boonballs are out of control and now that defending is gone I'd say it's honestly better.)

• Like 5
  • Confused 1