Who actually uses pistol?

I'm curious who is actually using pistol and in which modes.

I spent a lot of time practising the rotation on the dummy and it did actually feel quite nice so I took it into raids. 

As soon as I had to break rotation to cc, mechanics, res (or down state, ele life) I was screwed. I had no idea what bullets were loaded and found it nigh on impossible to work out where I was with them, if I tried to squint at the buff tray then I'd take a mechanic to the face. 

I've challenged our guild rotation robot (he says he's human but we don't believe him) to give it a go to see how he goes but I suspect he'll hit the same issues. 

I've been an ele main since og gw2 so whilst I won't pretend to be an expert I think I've got a fairly good handle of the class. 

Ps, it still sounds horrible but less noticeable when on discord with 9 other folks shouting "wall"

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Atoclone.4810 said:

I had no idea what bullets were loaded and found it nigh on impossible to work out where I was with them, if I tried to squint at the buff tray then I'd take a mechanic to the face. 

You can see what bullets are active, by simply looking at your charackter.     They are floating behind your back.  Its alot more visible there, compared to your boonbar.

Edited by Sahne.6950
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 5

1 hour ago, Sahne.6950 said:

You can see what bullets are active, by simply looking at your charackter.     They are floating behind your back.  Its alot more visible there, compared to your boonbar.

Personally in fight with things flashing everywhere (my legy effects don't help either) I found that even harder to focus on. 

• Like 5
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Atoclone.4810 said:

Personally in fight with things flashing everywhere (my legy effects don't help either) I found that even harder to focus on. 

generally speaking... pistol bad.

Sceptre is the superior power ranged weapon, while also holding up very well in terms of condidamage.

Not sure what pistol benchmarks in pve.... as all i do is pvp/wvw.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Sahne.6950 said:

Yeah unless you are a kittening charr because half the orbs are inside your body moving and shooting 😑

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1

i would probably enjoy pistol more if the bullet mechanic was thrown in the trash bin. weapon gimmics suck (this is why i hate ele hammer too, though in that case i'd argue the orbs should been catalyst main mechanic). also air in pistol is like useless. coulda been used to give ele access to confusion instead of the laziest dash ever.

1 hour ago, Fortunello.9853 said:

Yeah unless you are a kittening charr because half the orbs are inside your body moving and shooting 😑

THIS, i like my murder kitty ele. she is big. bullet dont like big.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I tried to kill the mini-raptors to progress in the 1000 kills ; with  poor strike damage,1 stack of condi long duration, half skills single target, no pierce, or long delay, kitten AA (is it me or it feels it has 1 sec cast-time?) ...   killing mini-raptor is painful ?! Somes  need 3 hits / 3 ticks to die !  Even mesmer's rifle has more burst.
Against others mobs, it's just not fun. Go full rotation to stack pathetic numbers of bleeding/burning, and see the elite mob only at 75% life, then spam useless AA to fill more long conditions ...

And PvP ... wow. May be for bunker tempest/catalyst who love to play like necro/scourge (but without boonstrip). But for weaver it's just crazy how pistol sucks. Can't believe the guy how designed the dual skills (and pistol overall) actually tried it for real.

So the weapon will be useful only in Benchmark contests.
Static, single catgolem, quickness/alacrity/25mights ..." Pistol too strong, 44K dps wow wow ! (better nerf e-specs) "

Edited by Zhaid Zhem.6508
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

it was made just for condition tempest and catalyst so it could gain auras, aura-specific traits, and share them with powerful aura. it's a single-target weapon outside earth's autoattack. 
if you're not using pistol, it's because you're a power dps or healer. air attunement is the worst offender for lack of condition damage, and there isn't anything new to pistol that other weapons couldn't already do; the condi variety is poor as well. ironically the interesting things about ele's pistol are the air and water attunement skills, but you don't get more potential condi damage out of those attunements if you're not playing weaver.

• Like 1

The PvE meta dps benchmarkers are using it with condi tempest and condi weaver now. It's of course better then the scepter variants in terms of dps, but I'll still never gonna actively use that unspeakable disapointment of skill design as an 11 years ele main.

Edited by Markus.6415
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Zhaid Zhem.6508 said:

Static, single catgolem, quickness/alacrity/25mights ..." Pistol too strong, 44K dps wow wow ! (better nerf e-specs) "

And they actually nerfed condi tempest already because of that 🤣

pistol shows numbers in the benchmarks but that was expected to boost soto sales... the feel... is absolutely the worst thing that exist in the game... i pretty much kinda quit the game altogether at this point anet is just disappointment after disappointment...

• Like 7
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 2

7 hours ago, RazieL.5684 said:

pistol shows numbers in the benchmarks but that was expected to boost soto sales... the feel... is absolutely the worst thing that exist in the game... i pretty much kinda quit the game altogether at this point anet is just disappointment after disappointment...

You are not supposed to play ele in the first place. You are supposed to play condi virtu, scourge and soulbeast while studying the store page.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

11 hours ago, NayNay.7680 said:

I use it just once every time I log in. I equip it, press "1" on my keyboard and then throw it right back in my inventory because no muzzle flash and bad sounds I can't overwrite with my super gun.

I don't have a leggy pistol but I thought they'd resolved that. Probably shouldn't be surprised though that they haven't 

• Confused 1

Pistol has its problems but for some reason i just like it might be because it feels so chaotic to play with it in WvW scepter might be way better but personally i find pistol far more enjoyable it just works how i play the game.

• Confused 3

Added thoughts pistol is way too single target and body blockable to every be viable in any thing put pve and pve that has no adds. It is also way to target base and way of looking to ever be truly viable for any thing that move at any level. The wepon over all feels like an beta wepon and not an finished producet. After the last 2 updates to the game and nothing has changed to the wepon other then an nerf purle due to test golum dps show anet is not working on it in an real way so at best this is just some random ideal throw together in hope of the next weapon expansion (every one hopes).

It can be fixed but it dose not look like there an will to fix it. Ele got the worst of the last expansion at this point and maybe in the weakest place in the game because of it.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

12 hours ago, Atoclone.4810 said:

I don't have a leggy pistol but I thought they'd resolved that. Probably shouldn't be surprised though that they haven't 

I think someone reported quip as fixed in another post but no word on H.O.P.E. Soo far it looks like Hardlight, ley-line, all super weapon variants and Ebonhawke crossbow are yet unchanged. I bought a hardlight skin just to test for this post x.x I would also confirm the crossbow but I would rather hang onto my carvings for now.

5 hours ago, DanAlcedo.3281 said:

Condi Weaver and Condi tempest who are Nr4 and 7 on the dps leaderbord right now. 

They use pistol. "shrug" 

What's that based off though? Is it golem? The rotation ends up having a pleasant rhythm once you get into it and I can see it doing well there. However once I tried raiding with it everything fell apart as soon as I had to react to things. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

Just now, Atoclone.4810 said:

What's that based off though? Is it golem? The rotation ends up having a pleasant rhythm once you get into it and I can see it doing well there. However once I tried raiding with it everything fell apart as soon as I had to react to things. 

Thats true for all builds. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 2