Fix the exploit port spots

It's happened off and on for years because anet refuses to fix the pathing that allows thieves and mesmers to port into various keeps and towers across the maps without having to ever be inside them in the first place. RBL is the worst for this, as every structure has these spots where things like Blink or the leap on Thief Staff 5 just totally bypass any and all pathing checks allowing the player to exploit into structures. A BG thief did it once last week with a small group in AK while someone on our team sat there and watched him do it at the tactics ledge point to glitch up then drop the thief port to bring 3 others in, and another BG mes ported 10+ in using the FK outer spot. A GoM mes tonight has been using the exploit spots to get inside FK multiple times, both outer and inner, to flip it before people can react.

Can the devs finally do your job and fix this? People in chat were even defending it as you refuse to fix it, since apparently exploiting is fine if anet decides to just ignore the problem and pretend it's not happening. Yes, I know it would probably push restructuring back from 2030 to 2050 to just fix the walls of all structures to prevent this, but at least do something about it finally. 

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

As I've mentioned before in similar threads...  It is possible, for an unmodified client, to load in a tower, such that some of it's walls are missing entirely.  When this happens you can walk in and out of the tower, no matter which team you're on.  If this can happen by accident, no doubt it can also happen using cheat software.

I assume it can happen with keeps too, but I haven't personally experienced it.

Here's screen shots of langor and nw tower on red bl loaded with missing wall segments: https://imgur.com/a/gWC40Cs

I've also seen Anz load with missing wall segments.

So... fixing the glitch spots alone, is not a good enough fix.  It seems likely that glitching into keeps and towers, will be normal gameplay sometime in the next 1-3 years or so, unless something drastic is done.

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

Wow. I have never experienced the "no wall glitch". That's crazy.

My suggestion in a similar thread was to make the Lord invulnerable if no walls or gates are down (and, if the defenders get the wall/gate up, then the Lord is still vulnerable for something like 5 min. Or if there are no swords contesting the objective for 5 min. Something like that). In any event, that would counter all the glitches/exploits that allow players to take keeps and towers with no walls/doors down.

• Confused 1

But it would also counter the legitimate tactic of hiding in an objective to port ppls in later, or simply solo once the defenders have departed without effectively clearing . . .

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

8 hours ago, Gop.8713 said:

But it would also counter the legitimate tactic of hiding in an objective to port ppls in later, or simply solo once the defenders have departed without effectively clearing . . .

Nah. Short of a new tactic that, when pulled, reveals and blocks all stealth for 30 sec or so, the perma stealth crap has to be fixed. Or, in my opinion, after successfully defending an objective and the once swords disappear, for 5 min no stealth is allowed in the objective.

But, yes, that tactic would have to change.

• Like 2

Or you could, y'know, not get breached. Or effectively clear after the breach with the abundance of tactics currently available . . .

I would like it noted that I could have said something snide here about laziness or incompetence and I refrained : )

11 hours ago, misterman.1530 said:

My suggestion in a similar thread was to make the Lord invulnerable if no walls or gates are down (and, if the defenders get the wall/gate up, then the Lord is still vulnerable for something like 5 min. Or if there are no swords contesting the objective for 5 min. Something like that). In any event, that would counter all the glitches/exploits that allow players to take keeps and towers with no walls/doors down.

A couple of months ago I glided down to Sunny hill and went straight through the wall lol. I could walk in and out like the walls werent there. I called people in map chat to come see if it was just on my end, and NOPE. Everyone could see me doing it. I reset the game and the glitch went away. That scenario has only happened to me once.

4 hours ago, AlCapwnd.7834 said:

A couple of months ago I glided down to Sunny hill and went straight through the wall lol. I could walk in and out like the walls werent there. I called people in map chat to come see if it was just on my end, and NOPE. Everyone could see me doing it. I reset the game and the glitch went away. That scenario has only happened to me once.

This is why simply adding more invisible walls, and/or little tweaks to the wall/gate geometry isn't the fix.  The walls do nothing if the client is altered to ignore them, since gw2 allows the client to have authority over where the player can move.  Another example is the teleporting gathering bots in PVE, which have been around for 10+ years.

11 minutes ago, Arya Whitefire.8423 said:

This is why simply adding more invisible walls, and/or little tweaks to the wall/gate geometry isn't the fix.  The walls do nothing if the client is altered to ignore them, since gw2 allows the client to have authority over where the player can move.  Another example is the teleporting gathering bots in PVE, which have been around for 10+ years.

i would imagine when crossing the boundaries of a structure there would have to be a check if the movement is legit (open gate/wall or portal) if not, then the players would need to be pushed back out. that should be less things to check then trying out every movement/teleport skill combination from every possible angle + it would account for clients that refuse to load some blocking objects into the world.

8 hours ago, Gop.8713 said:

Or you could, y'know, not get breached. Or effectively clear after the breach with the abundance of tactics currently available . . .

I would like it noted that I could have said something snide here about laziness or incompetence and I refrained : )

Since this kind of stealth tactic is usually reserved for keeps/garris and it's a bit more difficult to hide in the inner part of a keep (SMC might be an exception), I don't see the issue. Whoever the thief/mesmer ports in will have to take down an inner wall or gate anyways. Problem solved.

I'm just saying you started with "let's fix these exploits", which I think a lot of ppls can get behind, but moved pretty quickly to "let's negate entire class mechanics" which is going to receive less support. You're kind of undermining your own point . . .

If you managed to hide in port out and port back in with defenders not able to keep up with you, then it's cool.

But there are so many spot in so many structures that need fixing. If i post a vid here, it will be deleted.

Just search GW2 Serial Experiments on Youtube.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Gop.8713 said:

I'm just saying you started with "let's fix these exploits", which I think a lot of ppls can get behind, but moved pretty quickly to "let's negate entire class mechanics" which is going to receive less support. You're kind of undermining your own point . . .

Depends if the class mechanics are also garbage and represent poor game design.

It's a moot point anyway, since the Devs are fully absorbed right now with optimising the location of all the synths.

If you're of the opinion that stealth and ports are garbage and represent poor game design you may want to accept that this just isn't the game for you . . .

But you are  correct that it's irrelevant since neither has anything to do with exploits which is the subject of the thread  . . .

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, Gop.8713 said:

If you're of the opinion that stealth and ports are garbage and represent poor game design you may want to accept that this just isn't the game for you . . .

But you are  correct that it's irrelevant since neither has anything to do with exploits which is the subject of the thread  . . .

Stealth and ports are legitimate game design features, it's just that neither is well implemented in this game; stealth especially, and the classes that rely on it, are poorly designed.

And you're right, I'm certainly at a point right now (of not playing) where the current state of the game, including but not at all limited to the kitten implementation of stealth, means that this may no longer be the game for me. Which is heartbreaking, because I used to love it, but at the same time as neglecting elements that already badly needing fixing they've continued to make one poor design decision after another.

It's a shame.

One of the few remaining ways in which I engage with this game - which is no less foolish a thing to do than picking at a scab - is to suffer the indignity of visiting this ghetto of a forum from time to time.

The end of any relationship can be an ugly thing.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 5/6/2024 at 4:14 AM, misterman.1530 said:

It was a crazy day in Wvw on April 1th 2015.

The Aviator memory box effect that was used for the first time as a joke somehow made all walls disappear. 

For everyone. 

Was actually kinda fun to play. 

This bug still pops up from time to time for some players. Has happened to me like 7-8 times over the years. 

Edited by DanAlcedo.3281

18 minutes ago, TheGrimm.5624 said:

I think where Anet misses out is in players posting spots on youtube and not taking action in the spots proven. Players are trying to help them but they don't know or don't address them.

They don't address them: i have several guildies sending many reports with links to YT (private) videos showing exploiters doing it (with account names, time and date) then showing what were the glitches or exploits.
So far Anet have done nothing, not even watch the videos (# of view is still 0).
They are either too useless to do anything or don't care.
My money is on both of them at the same time.
But hey, let's continue to hand out bans to people naming exploiters or exploiting guilds on the forum because that's the best thing to do, right?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Dawdler.8521 said:

If I recall, isn’t that a known bug that the lord doesn’t contest dbl bay? And there is no keep scouting in the entire top area either (after cap) with a particular area in the southern end where you can stand on a hidden cliffside above the top “exit” out toward the sentry and south camp. You can only reach it by some tricky flying when you still own it. Thieves and mesmers love to AFK there after cap and few will ever bother to check.

So that could still be legit? 

I'm not sure about the lord contesting. Someone else would have to confirm that.

I'm very familiar with the little hidden spot. I do that myself quite a lot.
It's certainly possible that someone could hide, but I have checked that spot multiple times today already, and it keeps getting capped, along with air keep almost immediately after.
I believe yesterday, air got capped while a player was in there and he didn't notice it contesting either.

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Zebulon.1850 said:

I take it you are on SoS.... They have been doing this all week. Keeps flipped in 30 sec without swords at t3.

i am not playing on any NA server.

4 hours ago, Zebulon.1850 said:

Also, while you are out here defending exploiters, I was busy trying to catch these clowns in the act.

Lets hear your great explanation for how a single thief can kill a lord without contesting a keep and then cap it.

further i am not defending exploiters just pointing out that the video you posted earlier is not enough evidence.

a single thief can easily kill the lord, but it does contest the keep*. however i don't think players can 'despawn' the lord either, all the hacking i have seen was client side manipulations and i highly doubt that this can be done client side. the only explanation that would somewhat make sense is that the lord was already down when that video started, the event run out and the thief only went into the circle afterwards, the lord being dead does not retrigger the event after all.

Edit*: the lord being in combat does contest the keep

Edited by bq pd.2148

On 5/5/2024 at 8:14 PM, misterman.1530 said:

I've only ever seen it once since the game launched.  It was the walls on Overlook in EB, and we were red.  The problem was it was the entire spawn-side wall that was missing, so when the enemy showed up on that side to attack, I couldn't even get to the oil because the client said nothing was there, so I just fell through.  Had to change map to get it to load.

6 hours ago, Zebulon.1850 said:

I take it you are on SoS.... They have been doing this all week. Keeps flipped in 30 sec without swords at t3.

SoS is known for this.  And the excuse is always that they left someone inside during a failed attack.  And yet, they will flip T3 structures with watchtower that have never been attacked or opened since reset, just miraculously appear at lord and it flips.  They are also not the only server that does this.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, MedievalThings.5417 said:

SoS is known for this.  And the excuse is always that they left someone inside during a failed attack.  And yet, they will flip T3 structures with watchtower that have never been attacked or opened since reset, just miraculously appear at lord and it flips.  They are also not the only server that does this.

Yeah. We were against SOS once. They took T3 Fire and swords were only on it for seconds. I was in Earth keep when I heard the Lord making noise like it was taking damage. I went up, and it was. But there was no one there. Watched it get hit one or two more times before it stopped.

2 min later we lost T3 Air.

So, yeah, something fishy.

• Like 1