Need a turtle siege engine

I'm surprised anet didn't add this with EoD but big unwieldy turtles that are a major pains to drive with twin cannons (that do "siege damage" in pve) seems perfect as a "mobile catapult" type  siege weapon that could have, should have been, been added to wvw.  Have them work similar to how Siege Golems are essentially "mobile battering rams", but require  

I don't think they should have been mounts but as supply costing siege engines that would require a new mastery to use.

Obviously they could work underwater BUT not fly.

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 5

When they released the turtle they stated that they were thinking about adding it to WvW, but I suspect that either the push back was too great or they couldn't figure out how to make it work.

But seeing as Warclaw's abilities don't transfer at all to PvE, then it is perfectly possible for the PvE abilities of the turtle to not transfer to WvW and have the ability track do a subset of them. Things like having a passenger fire the cannons, but the cannons take supply, and for the turtle AA to need supply to damage gates. The swimming could stay but the jet boosters would have to be disabled. Naturally, it should not contest points.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Lan Deathrider.5910 said:

but the cannons take supply, and for the turtle AA to need supply to damage gates. The swimming could stay but the jet boosters would have to be disabled. Naturally, it should not contest points.

That's exactly my thinking.  

I'm sure we've all "drove" golems across the wvw battlefield at some point.  They are painfully slow, even with mesmer help, and woe to you if you're caught in the open, but for a small roaming group that wants to do a bit more than ganking people to annoy other teams, they make great sense: construct them in a safe location, "run" (if you can call it that) to a tower gate, knock the gate down, dismount, boom chaka laka baby, dead lord, mount up again and maybe make it to the next tower you want to take down.  Not necessarily the most effective tactic but kind of fun.

I think a turtle could fill the niche for a mobile, ranged catapult unit, that's OK against walls.  Darn things have the turning radius of a planetary orbit so it could inherit those pve shortcomings in wvw.  And again, if you're caught in the open by the enemy... It might be an interesting tactic for a zerg to make a bunch of these underwater and then crawl out to attack Bay and then either hide them back in the water or move them on to hit the inner wall.  If you balance the cost and construction time against their mobility, you could balance them

Edited by Tinker.6924

Posted (edited)

Actually I think it is a good idea, but with a different way to do the siege. Instead of having built in weapons make it so you are able to build a piece of siege on top of it. 1 treb or 2 catas. 2 ballista or 2 A/C, or 2 shield gens. And of course if the turtle is killed the siege is gone a well. Have them move slower depending on the type of siege  they have built on them.

Edited by Heibi.4251
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Dawdler.8521 said:

This is just a golem with extra steps.

Or a slower Charr car.

I'm sure this is what went through their minds. That and realistically if they did this, then the turtle would probably be able to hit walls from positions not normally attacked from. I'm sure they were worried about a zerg not even bothering with siege weapons and just turtling up to use the cannons until the walls were down.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Lan Deathrider.5910 said:

I'm sure this is what went through their minds. That and realistically if they did this, then the turtle would probably be able to hit walls from positions not normally attacked from. I'm sure they were worried about a zerg not even bothering with siege weapons and just turtling up to use the cannons until the walls were down.

I’m pretty sure they never even thought of WvW.

• Confused 1

On 5/13/2024 at 8:39 AM, Dawdler.8521 said:

This is just a golem with extra steps.

Or a slower Charr car.

I'm having fun with rollers recently, it's really quirky and fun underused feature, they should buff it a bit in terms of deploy numbers tho, like 3-4 per tactic.

Brum bruuuum. 

From the skills of siege turtle and from irrelevancy of it in pve I assume it was designed for wvw, vertical booster float thingy aside. Not sure why they didn't went thru with it, it's even called siege. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1