Which leggy to craft

Main or alt  

21 members have voted

1. 1. Main or Alt

• Main
    • Alt

Hey folks, please help me decide i am planning to craft a leggy armor soon and currently i am in the following dilemma:

should i craft for my main thats fully ascended and partly leggy (trinkets weapons)

Or should i craft for my alt that is just exotic equipped but that i am eager to give some attention in the near future because i want some variety. 

obviously these characters are of different armor weight. 

• Confused 1

Do you have more than 2 characters? If so I'd pick the armour weight you have the most characters for, since one of the benefits of legendaries since the armoury is all your characters can wear them.

If not then some things which are worth thinking about are which characters you're most likely to change stats on, and which armour weight you think looks best.

Exotic is fine for almost everything in the game, and ascended isn't that hard to get (especially compared to legendary) so there's no need to hold a character back just because they're using exotics, you don't need to upgrade them before you start playing them more, unless you specifically want to take them into high tier Fractals. Similarly it'd be a bit of a waste to 'upgrade' from ascended to exotic if you don't like the skin and you're unlikely to change the stats, because then you don't benefit from it.

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, Danikat.8537 said:

Do you have more than 2 characters? If so I'd pick the armour weight you have the most characters for, since one of the benefits of legendaries since the armoury is all your characters can wear them.

If not then some things which are worth thinking about are which characters you're most likely to change stats on, and which armour weight you think looks best.

Exotic is fine for almost everything in the game, and ascended isn't that hard to get (especially compared to legendary) so there's no need to hold a character back just because they're using exotics, you don't need to upgrade them before you start playing them more, unless you specifically want to take them into high tier Fractals. Similarly it'd be a bit of a waste to 'upgrade' from ascended to exotic if you don't like the skin and you're unlikely to change the stats, because then you don't benefit from it.

Hi,

thanks for your reply! I have currently one per weight. I know exotic is good enough for every content,  except fractals. I just think i would might enjoy playing my alt more in new fancy shmancy armor . The question about stat change frequency is a very good perspective, thank you!

• Confused 1

Posted (edited)

I based my own decisions on this, way back when I had no legendaries on the classes I play most. Warrior is my main, and the main thing I play, but I also play guardian, necro, and ranger to some degree, so the fact that 2 of the 4 classes I play the most were heavy, I went with heavy.

I would also say, to focus on weapons, trinkets, runes, sigils, and Relic first as those are used by all classes.

Edited by Lan Deathrider.5910
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

If you are only interested in having easy access to ascended level stats, I would ignore the legendary and just gear up your alt in ascended instead. It would be much cheaper to get full ascended than to craft a single legendary item. Once you're comfortable playing these characters, you will probably be in a position where you can make so much gold (e.g. T4 fractals, CMs) that the initial investment in ascended will just delay getting a legendary by a few days.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

Craft leggy armor for your main!  

It frees up ascended gear that can be given to your alts or scrapped, gives freedom of experimentation it provides with the no cost stat, rune and infusion changes.  It also eliminates needing multiple sets of runes and infusions. For example, if you have 2 builds with different armor stats but the same infusions and runes. With ascended gear you would need 2 sets of those runes and infusions because they are locked to the armor but with legendary armor you’re just need 1 set of each because both builds can automatically share the same runes and infusions. 

• Like 1

Depends what builds you're playing, what builds you're interested in playing and how many characters of each armor weight you play. If you fully dressed up "your main" in ascended gear and aren't interested in playing other builds with that class then legendary gear doesn't seem to be a high priority.

On 5/18/2024 at 10:04 PM, Lucy.3728 said:

Craft heavy armor.

You can never be wrong with a heavy armor class.

I am very tempted to do that, i like the style a lot. Its also that armor weight where i could imagine playing all three progressions, while in the other weights iam not as tempted to play  other professions  than  ele and thief. 

If you're playing an endgame mode where the meta setting changes frequently, choose the armor with the most variety where there are classes you like to play.
The heavy armor of course has the guardian with it, which is always and everywhere gladly taken along, but if you don't like to play it but only warriors or revenants, then it doesn't do you any good if warriors and revenants fall out of the meta.

If the mode doesn't determine your playstyle and character choice, then take the character you prefer to play.

I would also choose a heavy weigth (rev, warrior, guard). But I do play all the heavy weight classes.

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/17/2024 at 1:21 PM, Player.2475 said:

(...)I would ignore the legendary and just gear up your alt in ascended instead. (...)

This ^

So many people craft Legendary gear only to set it to Berzerker and leave it there for ever, the truth is, if you're not juggling several sets of gear with different stats for different builds right now and changing them before different encounters on a very regular basis, why would you even care about legendary gear?

Getting 2 or 3 different full sets of Ascended is WAY easier than going for legendary gear, even if you buy the 3rd equipment template it's still WAY cheaper, now ask yourself a question, are you really ever gonna use more than 2 or 3 stay sets on that character... ?

If you're seduced by their look sooner or later you'll grow tired of it and reskin it anyway i can tell you that right now.

I've seen several people stop playing after they got burned out with the Legendary grind which they didn't even had a good reason to get into to begin with, a lot of people see Legendaries as end game or a must-do because of their perceived quality of life and they end up never making good use of them after they set it and forget it.

2 hours ago, Dean Calaway.9718 said:

If you're seduced by their look sooner or later you'll grow tired of it and reskin it anyway i can tell you that right now.

Not necessarily. I made The Dreamer in 2014 and I've been using it on my main character ever since. I changed the skin once for Halloween the year the wardrobe came out, but changed it back before the event was over. I've also got The Bifrost, Claw of the Khan-Ur and Exordium and I don't think I've ever changed the skins on any of them.

I have changed the skins on Ad Infinitum, but that's one I made for practical reasons rather than because I liked the skin.

Posted (edited)

To be practical about it, I'd recommend going with whatever legendary item will be immediately usable across all of the characters and builds that you actually play. There are several legendary weapons that I'd like to have, but since only one or two characters use those weapon types they're ultimately a very low priority. Every single character in my roster has at least some use for a 1H sword, so that one's the obvious choice. Trinkets, back items, relics and upgrade components are also usable across all characters so that's another easy choice.

For armor, go with the (Lt-Med-Hvy) armor class you actually play most often. If you're not a frequent toon and/or build-swapper and find yourself mostly sticking with the same 2 or 3 stat combos on a single main however, just throw on some ascended from crafting, fractals, WV etc. and call it a day. Think of rares and exotics as cheap "test drive" gear. If you like the way a given build plays, then you can readily upgrade to ascended gear. Save the legendary grind for the truly worth-it items, and just backfill the rest with ASC and EXO.

Edited by Teknomancer.4895
typo