One last plea to stop Anet from killing servers

Posted (edited)

This might be already too late. Anet probably is so far down this path it is impossible for them to change anything. 
But I needed to make this post to give ammunition to any dissenting voices inside Anet they have doubts on this path they are going in. 
Also to say well I tried. Because I like this game and would hate it to die.

As of now, alliances are getting organized. Everyone is stacking their alliance with the best possible players they can. I probably won’t  get into any competent alliances as I can’t commit myself to play specific times because, you know, real life. I know there are a lot of people like me who would like to play relatively competitively but can’t commit to hardcore guilds. The upcoming changes pretty much means we are are going to be stuck in the very casual tiers where you can’t count on the quality of pugs playing with you.  I really wanted to like alliances  and genuinely tried out a few betas. Frankly my heart was not in it and I eventually gave up. I consistently saw lesser crowds in beta. I know Anet has the data, I hope you are not yoloing the future of this game mode, thinking ‘hey they are not playing coz it’s beta. Let’s double down and make it permanent they will start playing’. No it is not gonna work like that. Most people came back because they thought alliances will be killed. 

Besides everyone that has been on one of the competitive guilds know, there tend to be guild dramas and people dropping off the guilds and the game as the fallout. How is an alliance different? And if the alliance implodes, there is no server to catch people until a new guild/alliance forms out of the fallout. That means the community gets separated. More people leaving the game. What about when you come back from a 2 month break and you have been garbage collected from the alliance/guild. Not everyone knows everyone personally in a 500 member alliance. 

What are you solving with alliances? Guilds not able to play together because gem transfers/ pop lockout. Also you said you want to be able to balance the game. Last part aint happening. Alliances are getting stacked at the current 500 pop limit. Maybe if the limit was 50 you could have balanced the teams.

I am going to try out PvP again but the reason I quit it originally because of the long matchmaking times and no social aspect to it. So not sure I’m gonna stick with it this time. I am looking at alternate games to invest some time learning now. People in the same boat as me, Let me know if you have suggestions.

Edited by Counterakt.9106
Added more context
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 7
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Counterakt.9106 said:

As of now, alliances are getting organized. Everyone is stacking their alliance with the best possible players they can. I probably won’t  get into any competent alliances as I can’t commit myself to play specific times because, you know, real life. I know there are a lot of people like me who would like to play relatively competitively but can’t commit to hardcore guilds.

Ok so then hardcore guilds has already killed all the worlds during these 12 years. Because that's the implication of what you're saying here. WR doesnt actually change how much you can stack a guild, it just changes the way you can do it. Players limit themselves since they for some reason want to remain on full and already stacked worlds. I have no idea why. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 4

16 minutes ago, Dawdler.8521 said:

Ok so then hardcore guilds has already killed all the worlds during these 12 years. Because that's the implication of what you're saying here. WR doesnt actually change how much you can stack a guild, it just changes the way you can do it. Players limit themselves since they for some reason want to remain on full and already stacked worlds. I have no idea why. 

They haven’t killed the worlds already because they couldn’t stack a world with multiple hard core guilds. The pugs and other non hard core guilds that ended up in a server balanced out the hardcore guilds. Ironically, the reason they could t succeed in making matchups one sided is that once they start steamrolling everyone else lot of fair weathers would join them there by pop locking them and at the same time bringing the average quality down to gw2 average. These guilds lose some people and move servers to grow. Rinse and repeat. 

Now whatever match up these hardcore alliances go to, they are going steamroll the matchup. The opposition will quit in a couple of days. There is no server pride anymore so there is no reason for most people to fight against terrible odds. If you have gotten all the leggy stuff there is no reason to ppt either.

• Like 3
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

8 minutes ago, Counterakt.9106 said:

They haven’t killed the worlds already because they couldn’t stack a world with multiple hard core guilds.

Eh what of course they can. It’s called transferring. Henge of Denravi (NA) for example is currently medium. Take the 3 best NA hardcore fight guilds and transfer there. Done. Stacked. There is nothing stopping them.

In reality its actually a self balancing system, sort of speak. Those 3 guilds aren’t already a single guild on one world because… well… they probably don’t want to be? WvW is - obviously - about fighting each other. 

But what’s the thought here, that there is like one competitive guild on all the teams under WR which would never meet another similar guild? That out of the thousands of players in WvW (at the old average size they mentioned, a region would have 40,000+ WvW players) there’s not going to be… many large guilds?

The very point of the WR matchup system is that it is supposed to create roughly even teams of large guilds, fill in with smaller and smaller guilds and eventually unguilded players. And then they are shuffled every month. 

You seem to think that WR is just 500 of the best players stacking in a guild fighting 40,000+ solo pugs.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

I'm actually looking forward to being thrown in with non-hardcore WvW players.  The chaos sounds immensely fun--moreso than the organized groups that just zerg up and run in circles.  Of course, there's a good chance I end up filling out a world with some hardcore group, but it's not like I can play less than I do now so not a huge loss if I just end up in the same situation.

It seems worthwhile to go through with it since, potentially, it will allow for other issues to be tackled down the line.  This is the sort of fundamental shift WvW needs to become a more sustainable game mode.  Throwing more things at the current server structure will always end the same.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2

16 hours ago, Sviel.7493 said:

I'm actually looking forward to being thrown in with non-hardcore WvW players.  The chaos sounds immensely fun--moreso than the organized groups that just zerg up and run in circles.  Of course, there's a good chance I end up filling out a world with some hardcore group, but it's not like I can play less than I do now so not a huge loss if I just end up in the same situation.

It seems worthwhile to go through with it since, potentially, it will allow for other issues to be tackled down the line.  This is the sort of fundamental shift WvW needs to become a more sustainable game mode.  Throwing more things at the current server structure will always end the same.

Yup, going into the World Restructuring without a guild myself. 

After waiting for 5 years, and 7+ Beta's - what is the point of joining an alliance for it to immediately feel like servers again?

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

One possible so-called alliance can only be a Guild with 500 members. But the future temporary server will have 2000 gamers. One so-called alliance cannot dominate one future server. And if you are a very active wvw player, you will probably come across a good server without being part of a strong Guild.

• Like 1

On 5/19/2024 at 12:38 AM, Dawdler.8521 said:

Eh what of course they can. It’s called transferring. Henge of Denravi (NA) for example is currently medium. Take the 3 best NA hardcore fight guilds and transfer there. Done. Stacked. There is nothing stopping them.

In reality its actually a self balancing system, sort of speak. Those 3 guilds aren’t already a single guild on one world because… well… they probably don’t want to be? WvW is - obviously - about fighting each other. 

But what’s the thought here, that there is like one competitive guild on all the teams under WR which would never meet another similar guild? That out of the thousands of players in WvW (at the old average size they mentioned, a region would have 40,000+ WvW players) there’s not going to be… many large guilds?

The very point of the WR matchup system is that it is supposed to create roughly even teams of large guilds, fill in with smaller and smaller guilds and eventually unguilded players. And then they are shuffled every month. 

You seem to think that WR is just 500 of the best players stacking in a guild fighting 40,000+ solo pugs.

In any case, it will be interesting to see how the super guilds develop. One of the super alliance guilds from two large guilds has already collapsed because the two guild leaders had too big an ego.

In a 500 guild, not all players will play at the same time, but if they do a mandatory guild raid (at some point there will be a stronger selection of players and inactive ones will be kicked out) and only a third show up, they could first get the queues clog up and then later dominate on all maps at the same time. Not for an entire matchup, but for the duration of the guild raids.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, Zok.4956 said:

In any case, it will be interesting to see how the super guilds develop. One of the super alliance guilds from two large guilds has already collapsed because the two guild leaders had too big an ego.

In a 500 guild, not all players will play at the same time, but if they do a mandatory guild raid (at some point there will be a stronger selection of players and inactive ones will be kicked out) and only a third show up, they could first get the queues clog up and then later dominate on all maps at the same time. Not for an entire matchup, but for the duration of the guild raids.

Keep in mind that we already have 500 man guilds and I assure you, none of them clog the maps. They can probably barely gather a 50 man. 

Again it’s kind of a self-balancing system due to the limitations of the maps. Could you have a 500 man hardcore guild starting a raid at 20:00 with all 500 because they only recruited peeps available then? Well, yes. You can do that today, with links. But would there be any point? Not at all. People wouldn’t get on the maps. 

I honestly don’t think we will see any such huge “alliance” overloading prime. Or maybe we’ll see it once along with the complaints of queues on the forum because too many is playing while other people at the same time proclaim WR is dead because no one is playing.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3
  • Confused 2

It's basically dooms day for all the Randoms who never committed to their server. 

If you don't want to part of a community in a Gamemode that's all about community, you simply have to live with the consequences. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 5
  • Sad 1

I am a very active WvW roamer in a 5 man Guild with real life friends. I am the only one actively playing the game. WR betas have been by far the best, most active and fun matchups I’ve had in years. I have no clue where people get this idea that small guilds or individual players are just gonna get left behind my WR.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

I am going to be sad to lose the Borlis Pass community. You know who the guilds are, who runs at what time during the day, etc. Now, I won't be able to run with other guilds. ANET is forcing me to choose between guilds. It sucks. The only alternative I have is to create multiple accounts so I can run with those other guilds. Just keep the servers as they are. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, thamesgirl.1960 said:

I am going to be sad to lose the Borlis Pass community. You know who the guilds are, who runs at what time during the day, etc. Now, I won't be able to run with other guilds. ANET is forcing me to choose between guilds. It sucks. The only alternative I have is to create multiple accounts so I can run with those other guilds. Just keep the servers as they are. 

So you are saying you want to hold a server and the balancing of an entire game mode hostage just to play with certain guilds that doesn’t sound you are a member of based on how you word it.

Have you asked what those guilds think about it? Just wondering.

Edited by Dawdler.8521
  • Like 3
  • Confused 3

Posted (edited)
On 5/21/2024 at 3:29 PM, DanAlcedo.3281 said:
On 5/21/2024 at 3:29 PM, DanAlcedo.3281 said:

It's basically dooms day for all the Randoms who never committed to their server. 

If you don't want to part of a community in a Gamemode that's all about community, you simply have to live with the consequences. 

I don't agree with that. In most cases, the representatives of the big guilds try to scare those who are soloers, that if they don't join somewhere (or with them), it will be the end of the world for them. No it is not! It all depends on how active you are in wvw. Anet plan was to place everyone in better tiers (new matches) depending on how active someone is wvw. I hope this plan will stick. (And  should definitely make future tiers purely KDR-based as well.) https://prnt.sc/gVp7yZeW8aRi   Idea about WR future.   

It's quite strange to see someone talking about a server community. Server communities have been dead for years. In every game there are people who prefer to play alone. However, this does not mean that they cannot be excellent scouts or roamers.

This is actually doomsday for anyone who thinks they can push everyone into mega guilds. Before it was somewhat possible because - full servers and in some servers only 2-3 very big guilds. (Who could only run for 2 hours every day and the server was dead during the rest of the day.).   The players had no choice.  Now they will have many, many choices and can always change the choice.

Edited by TheIceman.1039
  • Like 1
  • Confused 3

• 4 weeks later...