Gamepad third party app

@Rubi Bayer.8493

Dear Rubi.

How are you?

I would like if you or one of the other devs could clarify for the players About the use of apps that allow us to play with a gamepad?

I use JoyToKey because I have a really bad lombar disc herniation, which doesn't allow me to be sit for long periods ot time.

So I have to play laying down, with a controller.

There are other apps, such as xpad, and the steam one.

Please tell us, are these allowd?

Because honestly, I am getting quite concerned now.

I would never use anything that would bring me advantage.

In fact, a gamepad is more of a disadvantage, because of the number of limited keys we can assign. 

For instance, I can't use all mounts, open inventory, and other functions, including combat related.

Besides, using a gamepad usually has about a second delay, especially when there's lag, and keyboard users are always much faster, in my experience. 

But I can't do it any other way, because last time I played more than a few hours sitting on a chair, i ended up in hospital, due to my legs being paralised and in absolute agony pain.

Please, please, tell us if it's alright and acceptable to use these apps.

I want to continue to play guild wars 2, without fear or concern.

Thanks.

• Confused 2

Posted (edited)

Let me be the first to tell you this, you are 1000% safe to use third party apps to keybind whatever you want to a gamepad in GW2.
I bought GW2 collector's edition back in 2012 with Rytlock Statue and continue to support the game and I played GW2 beta back in 2012 using a third party app called Xpadder which allowed me to fully play GW2 using my xbox controller. In fact, the first 30min of Beta weekend event 1, all I did was keybind everything to my controller with xpadder to make sure the game felt right to me on the xbox controller and I STILL use xpadder today since then to continue to play the game that way. I only use keyboard to type but gamepad for everything else.

I talk about it in game and mentioned it in other posts on the official forums and I would be the 1st one banned if ArenaNet wanted too but yet, here I am, able to continue enjoying the game using my gamepad since 2012 and talking about using it in the official forums.

You're fine... As long as you aren't botting or using third party app to let the game play for you, there is no issue with this.

So have fun and game on!

Tbh, I pray ArenaNet won't add official gamepad support in fear of their gamepad support may interfer with my already well established keybinds with Xpadder for my xbox controller layout.

Edit: I'm also the guy who made Guild Wars 2 - Season 1 Movie on youtube back when Season 1 was unplayable and ArenaNet employees have seen my video previously and I am sure some already are aware that I use a gamepad to play this game. So if I'm okay, you'll be too.

Edited by DreamyAbaddon.3265
Added additional info
  • Thanks 2

Posted (edited)
17 minutes ago, SoulGuardian.6203 said:

Thanks @DreamyAbaddon.3265

Thank you so much.

Anytime! ArenaNet is a great company and the devs really care about its players. You may know me by Rebecca Chamber in Queensdale if you hang out there. I've been helping newbies since 2012 so if you ever need help with the game or want some tips on gamepad layout, feel free to whisper me in game anytime!

@Colin Johanson.8310 If you guys ever do decide to make an official gamepad support for GW2, please consider an option to toggle it off completely for some of us who prefer to continue using our third party app like Xpadder or Steam Input to prevent our existing Controller Keybinds from breaking. Been playing GW2 with my xbox controller using my keybinds on xpadder since 2012 beta and it would be terrible if my keybinds for the game suddenly become unplayble. You play the game one way for sooo long and get so used to it then suddenly need to change how you play would ruin the experience unintentionally. So I do hope if such a feature is being developed, a toggle off option would be baked into it in the menu so the game won't detect the gamepad even when plugged in to prevent conflicting keybindings.

Edited by DreamyAbaddon.3265
  • Thanks 1

Technically all inputs require some type of 3rd party software even if it's just a driver.

Most 'gaming' mice and keyboards will have their own software (over the years I've used Razer, Logitech and Corsair ones and they all do) used to set them up and do things like bind functions to extra mouse buttons. If Anet didn't allowed that they'd be excluding a massive chunk of their playerbase, or restricting them from using hardware they bought specifically for games.

That's why the rule on macros isn't that you can't use any 3rd party software to modify inputs but that however you do it 1 key press must lead to 1 action.

It's possible to use the software for my current keyboard to create macros (and it was possible with my previous one as well). I could set it so I push a button and it activates 3 or 4 skills, one after the other. That is breaking the rules and could get me banned if it was detected. But using the same software to make mouse button 4 work as a second F key is allowed. Same with your controller. As long as you're setting it up so you push 1 button on the controller (or even 2 or 3 together) for each action and not automating a whole series of actions you're not breaking any rules.

• Thanks 2

Posted (edited)
23 hours ago, SoulGuardian.6203 said:

I use JoyToKey because I have a really bad lombar disc herniation, which doesn't allow me to be sit for long periods ot time.
So I have to play laying down, with a controller.
There are other apps, such as xpad, and the steam one.
Please tell us, are these allowd?

Anet usually does not review apps or explicitly allow them, but only gives general answers. Whether you use a keyboard, mouse or controller - the type of input device doesn't matter. And if you use software that converts controller clicks into keyboard key presses, that's perfectly fine too.

What is not okay, however, is if you use macros that turn one key press into an entire sequence of key presses (e.g. a complete DPS rotation). That is not allowed. Especially not in sPvP/WvW. There is also a gray area here, where there is no advantage. For example, macros, which are only used to play musical instruments, are tolerated if you are not AFK.

Edited by Zok.4956
Updated because musical-instruments macros are allowed
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Zok.4956 said:

there is a rumor that macros, which are only used to play musical instruments, are unofficially tolerated.

Not a rumor, officially allowed:  You may use music macros to compose or perform in-game music. As long as the macro is used solely for the composition or performance of in-game music and the account is actively attended by a player, we do not place restrictions on its use.

https://help.guildwars2.com/hc/en-us/articles/360013762153-Policy-Macros-and-Macro-Use

• Thanks 3